NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yup. Another formatting questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yup. Another formatting questions
    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 12:23pm
What the most graceful (if any) way to do a flyover scene?  City streets, things going on, etc.

EXT and then description?  Avoid the flyover (camera direction) and just build it up in the action block?
This Sig Intentionally Blank
NilesPerry View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NilesPerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 12:36pm
In this day and age of drone photography, flyovers, as you call them, are becoming a filmmaking staple. I think in the interest of space, you should just write a fluid narrative of what we see. Don't use a montage style format, as that would take up too many lines and waste space. Just open on a high aerial shot of the city, and as we move in closer we begin to see bits of city life... I think this is one case where you can be just the slightest bit prose-y and stray away from screenplay norms. Still, what you write must be able to be seen by the camera, so you can't get TOO prose-y. Lol.
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by NilesPerry NilesPerry wrote:

In this day and age of drone photography, flyovers, as you call them, are becoming a filmmaking staple. I think in the interest of space, you should just write a fluid narrative of what we see. Don't use a montage style format, as that would take up too many lines and waste space. Just open on a high aerial shot of the city, and as we move in closer we begin to see bits of city life... I think this is one case where you can be just the slightest bit prose-y and stray away from screenplay norms. Still, what you write must be able to be seen by the camera, so you can't get TOO prose-y. Lol.

This is entirely visual.  I love lurid descriptions...its cases that kick my butt.  Apparently I'm case insensitive.

Thanks!  ABOVE A LARGE METROPOLITAN AREA it is.  I'll let the director tell the camera director tell the drone director to tell the set director to do all the appropriate directing.  The judges like directors.

I'm going to have my army of self-aware chocolate treats continue their invasion.
This Sig Intentionally Blank
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic