NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your writing talent and the contest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Nova42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by MattrickBT MattrickBT wrote:

it's about being screwed out of what is deservedly mine. 

Sponsored Links

Lord Xoon View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Xoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 2:47pm

If I was beat by stories I felt were damn good or because I knew I dropped the ball, as I did in the FFC because I'd never written anything so short, I'd have no issue in losing, or in not finishing first...I've not been upset about either with the three stories I've submitted to these contests. It's not about being a sore loser, it's about being screwed out of what is deservedly mine. And you can call that brash. You can call that arrogance. You can call that delusion. You can call that delusion. But I call it fact.

Whatever happened to this guy? I enjoyed his schtick. You still around, Mattrick?
chrissie0707 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 3:10pm

Originally posted by Lord Xoon Lord Xoon wrote:

If I was beat by stories I felt were damn good or because I knew I dropped the ball, as I did in the FFC because I'd never written anything so short, I'd have no issue in losing, or in not finishing first...I've not been upset about either with the three stories I've submitted to these contests. It's not about being a sore loser, it's about being screwed out of what is deservedly mine. And you can call that brash. You can call that arrogance. You can call that delusion. You can call that delusion. But I call it fact.

Whatever happened to this guy? I enjoyed his schtick. You still around, Mattrick?

I, for one, do not miss his schtick. Tongue
FFCCH3 - The Medora
FFCCH2 - Friendly Ben 15pts
FFCCH1 - Once in a Millennial 12pts
AllisonM View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 3:59pm
Popping in here because I haven't been that active on the forums this go-round and I've been meaning to remedy that.

There's a lot of truth in what others have posted here--some people are really good fast writers and some people produce goddamned literary miracles if you give them six months to write a 3000 word essay, but can't do it in any less than that. 

And you never know what a judge is going to be into. Or how much attention they're going to pay to your work when they're reading it--especially in the first two rounds when there's so very much for them to read. Last year's FFC, I wrote what I thought was a killer story. I still think it's a killer story. And two out of the three judges for it agreed. Their feedback was stellar, long, and went into depth (for judge feedback) in discussing the theory I had put forth in my story (which was sci-fi). They were engaged. The third judge? Didn't actually read it, or confused my story with another's. Their feedback referenced events and characters that weren't in my story. And it tanked my score to something like seventh place and I didn't move into round three.

I won third place overall in my first NYCM contest, which was the short story one. I did not care for the story that won first place, but that's my opinion and I recognize that. I did not get to read the second place winner's story, so I'm unsure if I would have rather that one take first.

For this year's FFC, my first round story took first. I really liked the story, thought I did a good job. My second round story was... eh. I didn't care for it. I assumed I'd get somewhere between twelfth and seventh place. I knew there were structural problems with it, I knew that I was not feeding the tropes properly, but I had sh*t I wanted to do on Sunday so I turned in what I knew to be a problem manuscript and somehow placed fourth and am moving on as first in my group over all--something I was not expecting to do.

I write non-fiction. The only time I touch fiction is for these contests. Every single genre I've received, I've never done before, or at least not in the last fifteen+ years.

But, damn, I write a lot. And I read a lot. And I read widely. I just finished re-reading one of the Kate Daniels series books by Ilona Andrews. I'm now in the middle of "America Day by Day" by Simone de Beauvoir. I read a history of dueling just a bit ago, and I randomly dive into poetry. Even though I don't write horror, I pick up Stephen King's "Danse Macabre" when the mood strikes because writing theory and how the brain processes story and tropes is fascinating--at least to me.

However, am I published? No. Have I submitted? No. I'm afraid of failure, and I procrastinate like a profanity I won't use here because I know some people don't care for such words. 

What I'm trying to say, in a very lengthy way, is that talent or winning contests doesn't matter if you're worried about publication and being a "real writer." What matters is that you finish.

What also matters is not wasting your time trolling a writing contest forum like MattrickBT. Christ, dude.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic