NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your thoughts on your Judges Feedback

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 20>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by Lord Xoon Lord Xoon wrote:

My one complaint is that usually in the "Things that need work" I always get "You could have spent more time fleshing out ______ issue".

Well, I would have if I had another 500 words to play with. Lol.

Any time I see that specific type of feedback I immediately dismiss it (or file it away if I'm planning on writing an expanded piece) UNLESS it is phrased as: 

"Section B right here could be pared down - it's a little wordy/doesn't further your story and would leave you room to expand Thing C which seems more critical to the plot/character dev/whatever."
rossinny View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rossinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

My one complaint is that usually in the "Things that need work" I always get "You could have spent more time fleshing out ______ issue".

Well, I would have if I had another 500 words to play with. Lol.

Any time I see that specific type of feedback I immediately dismiss it (or file it away if I'm planning on writing an expanded piece) UNLESS it is phrased as: 

"Section B right here could be pared down - it's a little wordy/doesn't further your story and would leave you room to expand Thing C which seems more critical to the plot/character dev/whatever."

I tend to agree, but I suppose the only counter to this argument is - have we chosen a story that is fundamentally too much / too difficult to tell in 1,000 words? So it's not the telling of the tale that is the problem, but the ambition at the start.

I do get why the "flesh x out more" argument is frustrating, and I had this feedback from one judge myself this time around - but it also made me think: is the scope of the tale too wide to be adequately told as well as it could be in 1,000 words? Certainly yours this round I would say was a good example of telling a tight, concise story with only a couple of (important) characters in a single setting. The challenge I guess comes with some of the genres - mystery, caper, action/adventure etc - where doing that is incredibly difficult. I don't know, I'm learning as I go, but I do find the "art" of short story telling very interesting indeed.
R2 Flash Just Act Normal! (Comedy)

R1 Flash The God Pod (Sci Fi)

nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by rossinny rossinny wrote:

I tend to agree, but I suppose the only counter to this argument is - have we chosen a story that is fundamentally too much / too difficult to tell in 1,000 words?  

Fair - but in this scenario better feedback is "I think you're trying to tell too big of a story for the word count" not "I need to see more of Thing 3." 

It's very true that telling a complete story in Flash is an art (and believe me I've offered up my fair share of you-arc-is-too-big stories.) But I'm trying to define what's valuable feedback that would help us improve that art, over technically correct feedback that a writer can't really utilize & learn from. 'Cause that's the point, right? Big smile
Lord Xoon View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lord Xoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 3:48pm
You definitely have to have a sense of how much story to bite off with these ff contests.

However, I would argue that you can ALWAYS make a 1000-word story better with a few more hundred words. In other words, there is no perfect 1000-word story. It's just not enough to develop everything that needs developing even in the most minimalist of concepts.

Edited by Lord Xoon - 14 Sep 2018 at 3:48pm
TheDustyZebra View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDustyZebra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 3:52pm
I felt that way about my comments on the fact that people wanted to see the competitive trials that my unicorn MC went through to win the position with the princess. I was rather glad people thought I just didn't have room, rather than that I had not the faintest clue what those trials actually would have been. LOL
100MF2020 R1 G26 If at First You Don't Succeed (Historical Fiction)
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by TheDustyZebra TheDustyZebra wrote:

I felt that way about my comments on the fact that people wanted to see the competitive trials that my unicorn MC went through to win the position with the princess. I was rather glad people thought I just didn't have room, rather than that I had not the faintest clue what those trials actually would have been. LOL

HA! 

<Mumbling around my foot-in-mouth>  I think I was one of those people who wanted to see the trials, but I'm pretty sure I added the caveat "in a longer version" Wink
Hollyvict View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollyvict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 4:01pm

WHAT THE JUDGES FEEL NEEDS WORK - 

{1610}  ~ You don't need to announce your synopsis or logline per se; as long as it is on the cover page and beneath the title it will be clear what it is.

I just read the exact comment about loglines in someone else's feedback. I think it was "Sir Simon." Though the judge went into greater detail here.
TheDustyZebra View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDustyZebra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

HA! 

<Mumbling around my foot-in-mouth>  I think I was one of those people who wanted to see the trials, but I'm pretty sure I added the caveat "in a longer version" Wink

I'm sure you did. LOL 

It's actually why I've been dithering about reworking the piece, even though I need to get it going to submit somewhere -- my brain cramps up at trying to think of the substance of those trials without *completely* plagiarizing Piers Anthony. Ah, well, at least I have this weekend where I don't have to feel guilty about ignoring the unicorn story.
100MF2020 R1 G26 If at First You Don't Succeed (Historical Fiction)
Hollyvict View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollyvict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 4:07pm
I got nice judges' comments. No deep critical dives, or anything.  My feedback:

WHAT THE JUDGES LIKED ABOUT YOUR STORY - {1794}  I enjoyed the tongue-in-cheek tone that this piece had. I think that it counts as "Romance" but also as "Comedy" or "Satire".   {1611}  I laughed out loud more than once. What a compelling idea. Who knew that tropes and cliches could make for such an engaging read.   {1589}  Love the names.  Very funny.  WHAT THE JUDGES FEEL NEEDS WORK - {1794}  You fit a lot of plot points into this small story. I would like to see fewer plot points in exchange for more fleshed out scenes.   {1611}  I really don't know how to critique this. What I will say is, "'He’s not the sort of person I pictured you with,' Esteban said, glumly." was the only line that felt like it wasn't over-written enough:)  {1589}  This reads more like romantic comedy. It's a great spoof.

rossinny View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 4:08pm

In other words, there is no perfect 1000-word story.

Until Sunday night. Right? Right?   

Edited by rossinny - 14 Sep 2018 at 4:08pm
R2 Flash Just Act Normal! (Comedy)

R1 Flash The God Pod (Sci Fi)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 20>
  Share Topic