NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your thoughts on your Judges Feedback

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920>
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuryBadBooks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by ajens ajens wrote:

I felt like I got very helpful feedback with mine-   I ended up disqualified due to a 'loose interpretation' of the location so I don't know if my 0 entirely fits that assumption.
[/QUOTE]

I wonder if there's a difference of getting a 0 from DQ, (sorry about that, mate!) or a 0 because the story just feel flat for the particular judges you had. 
You read mine, I read yours. FFC #2: Jar of Hearts
KelsNotChels View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KelsNotChels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 1:13pm

My story was 12th place/4 points.

I felt the feedback was really great—not much to complain about here. It was probably just a really strong heat!

''The Sound of Violence''

WHAT THE JUDGES LIKED ABOUT YOUR STORY - 

{1666}  Nice hook! You dropped us right into the action with a unique image - ushering the reader in on what the protagonist is hearing instead of seeing is unique and imaginative, and it really drew me into the piece quickly.

You had some nice turns of phrase, especially in your atmospheric setting development. "Dramatic shadows around dark, sleek walls" worked really well, for example.

Nice work!  

{1973}  There were some excellent single sentences in this work. I particularly enjoyed the aside in this sentence: "A weapon like this in the hands of a predictable enemy is horrifying, but the thought of it being used by someone with a Bond-villain level of psychopathy is utterly unthinkable". The author does an excellent job with information control--the scene unfolds, apparently one thing, but as more data filters through, the scene changes in meaning. Key to this is the identity of "V", and the shocking ending. Good work.  

{1943}  Wow. This was a suspenseful, chilling story. You have a fantastic voice. The concept of a drug to sedate the masses was quite chilling. You created tension skillfully as Liv crept up on Connor, preparing to shoot him. The presence of Claire playing the music created a very disturbing atmosphere. I loved the ending, with the revelation that Claire was V, not an innocent onlooker. Well done!  

WHAT THE JUDGES FEEL NEEDS WORK - 

{1666}  The conclusion didn't bring everything together with enough specificity for me to feel satisfied.

If Claire is V, then who is the third person involved? Why does Connor need to "prove himself" to his girlfriend in order to sell the pharmaceutical to her? What does her violin playing have to do with the moment at hand?

While the writing in this piece is strong and visceral, I think some further clarity on how all the pieces fit together would help a lot.

Thanks so much for submitting and good luck! 

{1973}  I really enjoyed this work. My suggestions to improve this work on a mechanical level would be to scale back adverb use (like in the above "utterly" sentence) and to  beware of ellipses in storytelling. Em-dashes and ellipses can do the same job just a bit better. I would also suggest, on another note, considering altering the  protagonist's name to something that doesn't use the letter V, unless this is a deliberate authorial choice.  

{1943}  Your story was very strong, and there is not much I would suggest you edit. My only comment would be that it didn't seem "strange" that Claire was still playing music, after seeing someone get shot, given that Liv thought she'd been drugged and instructed to play. The fact that the music was now lively was maybe a little odd, but surely we'd expect her to have continued playing until the drug wore off?

Edited by KelsNotChels - 02 Sep 2020 at 1:14pm
ajens View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 5:25pm

[/QUOTE]

I wonder if there's a difference of getting a 0 from DQ, (sorry about that, mate!) or a 0 because the story just feel flat for the particular judges you had. 
[/QUOTE]

I wonder that too and I think that you may be on to something.  (Mine did specifically say disqualified) 

I know sometimes there are stories in the forum that I just don't care for or 'get'.   I find myself struggling to think of what to say it is that I like and end up feeling like I can't post just criticism.  Most of the times on these I just end up not commenting.   I wouldn't be surprised if judges were sometimes the same way, they don't want to rip our poor hopes to shreds when the story just isn't there...

Edited by ajens - 03 Sep 2020 at 7:50pm
FF20 R2G78 Fantasy/VotingBooth/Toy Train
THE COST OF A SELFLESS CAUSE

Psychochook View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychochook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 8:48am
Rip shreds I say.  We're all adults.  I'd rather know than be subject to condescending waffle.
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 11:19am
Originally posted by Psychochook Psychochook wrote:

Rip shreds I say.  We're all adults.  I'd rather know than be subject to condescending waffle.

Based on the reaction from some people on the forum to forum feedback that isn't at minimum 66% positive, they probably feel like they have to be mostly positive no matter what they really think and unlike forum posters who can just skip reviewing a story completely if there's really nothing good to say or just way too much to fix in a forum review, they HAVE to give feedback. Plus they want the people to come back and spend the $45-50 again to enter another contest. If a judge came back with "You don't even have a solid grasp of grammar or sentence structure" or "this was so un-engaging I couldn't get past the first paragraphs" that person isn't going to say "Gee, I should sign up for their next contest right away." And to be fair even real editors don't say THAT, that I've ever seen. They can give formulaic "Thank you for submitting but this isn't right for us." And they also probably don't have time to REALLY write pages of feedback on what they think does and doesn't need fixing. 

As far as "zero" versus DQ, I believe it says in the rules that if you receive a no-score, as opposed to a zero, because you've been disqualified, you'll be told that. Remember, they don't have the option of giving everyone points. Only 15 entries can get a score above zero. The fact someone gets a zero doesn't mean it was bad, it means there were at least 15 other stories that the judges liked better. 

FFC 2020 Ch 1 Gr 21: Cellared
Ch2 Gr 21: The Spy Who Came in For The Cake
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 11:39am
Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

If a judge came back with "You don't even have a solid grasp of grammar or sentence structure" or "this was so un-engaging I couldn't get past the first paragraphs" that person isn't going to say "Gee, I should sign up for their next contest right away." And to be fair even real editors don't say THAT, that I've ever seen. They can give formulaic "Thank you for submitting but this isn't right for us." And they also probably don't have time to REALLY write pages of feedback on what they think does and doesn't need fixing. 

Haha, I found a judge who did not think like you do, this is from a few years ago. I had nothing but good feedback from the other judges and all of the forum, so this was a shock. this judge was let go after going after a few other writers:

{1807}  The prose here is so insistently descriptive in emotional terms, I was reluctant to go with it. The narrative tells a lot without actually showing anything; the tone is strikes a strange balance between detached and over-involved. I can feel the desperation of the author trying to infuse the story with horror, dread, and terror, but the oversimplified structure prevents the tale from being engaging, engrossing, or disturbing. The ending feels like a cheat; the protagonist's survival didn't impact me one way or the other.

Edited by Suave - 03 Sep 2020 at 11:44am
KelsNotChels View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KelsNotChels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

If a judge came back with "You don't even have a solid grasp of grammar or sentence structure" or "this was so un-engaging I couldn't get past the first paragraphs" that person isn't going to say "Gee, I should sign up for their next contest right away." And to be fair even real editors don't say THAT, that I've ever seen. They can give formulaic "Thank you for submitting but this isn't right for us." And they also probably don't have time to REALLY write pages of feedback on what they think does and doesn't need fixing. 

Haha, I found a judge who did not think like you do, this is from a few years ago. I had nothing but good feedback from the other judges and all of the forum, so this was a shock. this judge was let go after going after a few other writers:

{1807}  The prose here is so insistently descriptive in emotional terms, I was reluctant to go with it. The narrative tells a lot without actually showing anything; the tone is strikes a strange balance between detached and over-involved. I can feel the desperation of the author trying to infuse the story with horror, dread, and terror, but the oversimplified structure prevents the tale from being engaging, engrossing, or disturbing. The ending feels like a cheat; the protagonist's survival didn't impact me one way or the other.

Holy mackerel, that’s rough.

I’ve been a part of critique groups for a long time, and here’s my take: if the goal is to keep writers writing and improving, SUGGESTIONS are more useful than call-outs. 

I think critique can be motivating and can imply a need for improvement while also not being a laundry list of flaws. 

BuryBadBooks View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuryBadBooks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Psychochook Psychochook wrote:

I'm in the Lucy Liu house of "TEAR THAT BITCH APART", personally. In fact, if I'm paying for crit, I would rather have some tough love than empty fluff. It just makes you a better writer.

But don't misunderstand me. I don't mean I want some judge to say "the hell did I just read? This sucks. Try again or pick a new hobby." Ouch. No. 

I mean what would you rather get if these were based off the same story? 

A- "Your plot was confusing and I didn't care for your MC because of this reason and this reason. Maybe you could do this suggestion next time. You spent so much time describing the horse, I forgot what the start of the story even was."

or

B- "Oh man I loved that part where the horse came down the street. So imaginative and whimsical. I felt like I was there with it. You could have really made that cliche, what with how horses walk, but you didn't. You put a refreshing new spin to it. Great job!"

You read mine, I read yours. FFC #2: Jar of Hearts
Anansi View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anansi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by jdadams1 jdadams1 wrote:

That being said... I'm OK with this. Yes, the judge opened our feedback with a few of the same lines. But for mine, at least, they quickly went into solid pros and cons of the story. They used specifics (quite a few); it was clear they read my story and were offering a valid critique.

It's perhaps unusual that 1943 is opening some of their replies with the same lines, but it was clear to me they'd actually read my story (unlike 1789) and were engaging with its positives and negatives. I'm cool if they don't figure out 100 different ways to write an opening sentence so long as the rest of the critique is in-depth and unique to my piece.

Yeah I feel the same. It was actually the most detailed feedback I received last round, despite the slightly disappointing cut and paste job. I expect they have a document open with several choices phrases which they lift out and apply to fitting candidates, then add a little extra. Maybe thats what I would do too...
Anansi View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anansi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by northernwriter northernwriter wrote:

[/QUOTE]
<

Not just countries but the idea of seeing past oneself to other people’s experiences. My judges literally said they didn’t think it was reasonable for teenagers to be playing with explosives because they didn’t think that was a common activity. (Maybe not where they are from.) They didn’t say “it’s an improbable plot point in this story.” 

[/QUOTE]

Most of my early teens was spent blowing things up and setting things on fire. I thought that was most peoples experience to be honest. What an insular existence this judge must have lived! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920>
  Share Topic