NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your thoughts on this judges comment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote montmorency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 3:29pm
Agree with everyone else, this is odd and bad advice. If I read a script with this kind of rampant capitalization I'd find it very amateur. 
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 5:57pm
Not a great use of feedback time. This judge is very bizarre and I don't quite understand why he/she is still allowed to be a judge. 
claviercat View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claviercat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 6:34pm
This judge is VERY well-known for this kind of thing. Just do a forum search for "1610" and you'll be amazed! Same judge did this last year too - same number and everything. 
Please read my Challenge #3 story: https://forums.nycmidnight.com/ch-3-gr-12-honeymoon-at-the-end-of-the-earth_topic30718.html
claviercat View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote claviercat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 6:35pm
In fact, the moment I saw the title of your post, I knew which judge it would be. That should tell you something. 
Please read my Challenge #3 story: https://forums.nycmidnight.com/ch-3-gr-12-honeymoon-at-the-end-of-the-earth_topic30718.html
NilesPerry View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NilesPerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

I received this feedback in my needs work section.  I am wondering if this
is something I should listen to or not - one judges tonic may be another's
poison.  I have never been told this by anyone before, and as I am not very
rules literate, I ask.  Or some of these more screenplay specific?

{1610}  ~ Loglines, like Titles, benefit from capitalizations for emphasis.

Suggested Edit:

"A Battle for the World rages. The outcome​ hinges on the Scheming of one Sorcerer."

~ And yet, this is misleading since the outcome hinged on the machinations of his Apprentice, of General Rocktosh and of the vengeful Fairy, Tillia.

~ Some words are better capitalized because they are Archetypal, others because they are germane to Genre, and still others because they are pertinent to your particular Plot.

In your Tale, I recommend you capitalize:

Castle Keep, Mirror, Battlefield, Sorcerers, Gnomes, Warriors, & Spells.

I saw this in someone else's feedback and I was astonished that anyone would suggest adding capped letters to words we would normally never cap in everyday writing. I've never heard of this rule for loglines, and it's not a rule I, personally, will adopt... even if someone offers me hard data on the subject. Frankly, I think this judge's "suggested" capitalizations look awkward and unprofessional.
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 9:23pm

Thanks for the input everyone!  I think I best do a feedback critique for this judge.

Ron414 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 9:23pm
Everyone gives notes differently.  And of course we all take them differently.

I personally could care less about format notes.  Format isn't hard.  I've seen things done a buncha different ways. You could write a script in crayon and if it was great it would go places.  

So it's a note about a logline being misleading, which is absolutely debatable, and then notes about how to worry more about format than story, a character, etc.

I personally wouldn't sweat it.  

I have also heard more productive notes, so maybe this judge had Chipotle that day? :)

My $0.02 

Edited by Ron414 - 06 Dec 2019 at 9:25pm
manifestlynot View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manifestlynot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 12:19am
Originally posted by lisafox10800 lisafox10800 wrote:

Originally posted by MissKeister MissKeister wrote:

Originally posted by beckyrcollins beckyrcollins wrote:

God no. This might be the rule in this person's world, or certain publishers', but it's definitely not my style. Sorry, "Style". Urgh. And they've chosen words seemingly at random -- why is scheming capitalised?? Because it's plot?? But... what about ALL of the plot, is every verb capitalised too? And "Tale"! 

Madness. 

And for screenplays... does it matter?! The screenplay is a plan for a visual medium, one in which -- thankfully -- viewers aren't subjected to this nonsense. If anything, it interrupts the natural rhythm of reading and slows flow. 

Capitalisation of WHOLE WORDS that you want to enhance ATTENTION, I'm all for. But this is a note I'd personally thank and put aside. 

PREACH!!!  My mom got this same feedback, to capitalize "totally not random" words.... I have never, ever seen that in a screenplay.  In an Emily Dickinson poem (cool) or someone's Facebook status (cringe), sure.  I don't know where that judge is getting that from... but I doubt it's from reading copious amounts of screenplays :P

Folks, please report this feedback. Please. NYCM is giving us the opportunity to improve our overall experience here. Judge comments on the logline and what should be capitalized is total crap. This tells me that, for the people who have this judge, those with a better logline get a better score. Which is NOT the intent of this contest. This particular judge always comments on the loglines and just about nothing else, every single time. And that's just not cool.

We need to let the organizers know the judges who give us value and those who don't.

This x 1000. If everyone who gets this feedback reports the judge, at the very least the loglines will be off the table (or at least they'll get a talking to about archetypal words, which is VERY antiquated advice).
Short Screenplay R2: Till Just Combined
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 3:15am

Well, I did the judge review on 1610 - was rather less than satisfying, lol. No
room to really put the judges comment in, but it is done. I only reviewed him
and only gave him one star to maybe draw attention to the post - I doubt
they are overly hurried to read anything above that.

Edited by Suave - 07 Dec 2019 at 3:16am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic