NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your thoughts on this judges comment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your thoughts on this judges comment
    Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 10:16am
I received this feedback in my needs work section.  I am wondering if this
is something I should listen to or not - one judges tonic may be another's
poison.  I have never been told this by anyone before, and as I am not very
rules literate, I ask.  Or some of these more screenplay specific?

{1610}  ~ Loglines, like Titles, benefit from capitalizations for emphasis.

Suggested Edit:

"A Battle for the World rages. The outcome​ hinges on the Scheming of one Sorcerer."

~ And yet, this is misleading since the outcome hinged on the machinations of his Apprentice, of General Rocktosh and of the vengeful Fairy, Tillia.

~ Some words are better capitalized because they are Archetypal, others because they are germane to Genre, and still others because they are pertinent to your particular Plot.

In your Tale, I recommend you capitalize:

Castle Keep, Mirror, Battlefield, Sorcerers, Gnomes, Warriors, & Spells.

pash View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

Suggested Edit:

"A Battle for the World rages. The outcome​ hinges on the Scheming of one Sorcerer."

~ And yet, this is misleading since the outcome hinged on the machinations of his Apprentice, of General Rocktosh and of the vengeful Fairy, Tillia.

~ Some words are better capitalized because they are Archetypal, others because they are germane to Genre, and still others because they are pertinent to your particular Plot.

I read a LOT of screenplays and I never see this. If anything, every letter is capitalized in important words or emphasized words (we discussed this back when you reviewed my screenplay suave). I think this is pretty pointless critique imo. It can be useful sometimes in some fiction I've read, but I think what they're asking here is a bit overboard. 
beckyrcollins View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote beckyrcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 10:31am
God no. This might be the rule in this person's world, or certain publishers', but it's definitely not my style. Sorry, "Style". Urgh. And they've chosen words seemingly at random -- why is scheming capitalised?? Because it's plot?? But... what about ALL of the plot, is every verb capitalised too? And "Tale"! 

Madness. 

And for screenplays... does it matter?! The screenplay is a plan for a visual medium, one in which -- thankfully -- viewers aren't subjected to this nonsense. If anything, it interrupts the natural rhythm of reading and slows flow. 

Capitalisation of WHOLE WORDS that you want to enhance ATTENTION, I'm all for. But this is a note I'd personally thank and put aside. 
MrLipto View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrLipto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 10:32am
I had that same judge (SAME NUMBER!) tell me that same thing for my microfiction!

{1610}  

In your​ Tale, I recommend that you capitalize the following: Mystic, King, Queen, Princess, Royal Council, Plague, Throne, Sentry, & Silence.

beckyrcollins View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote beckyrcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 10:36am
I can't get over this. 

"He sat on the Throne".

NO. HE DID NOT. 

Thrones and castles are germane to real life too, but we only capitalise them if they're a proper noun, i.e. named: That palace in London is called Buckingham Palace. 

I need to step away from this site LOL
MissKeister View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissKeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 11:54am
Originally posted by beckyrcollins beckyrcollins wrote:

God no. This might be the rule in this person's world, or certain publishers', but it's definitely not my style. Sorry, "Style". Urgh. And they've chosen words seemingly at random -- why is scheming capitalised?? Because it's plot?? But... what about ALL of the plot, is every verb capitalised too? And "Tale"! 

Madness. 

And for screenplays... does it matter?! The screenplay is a plan for a visual medium, one in which -- thankfully -- viewers aren't subjected to this nonsense. If anything, it interrupts the natural rhythm of reading and slows flow. 

Capitalisation of WHOLE WORDS that you want to enhance ATTENTION, I'm all for. But this is a note I'd personally thank and put aside. 

PREACH!!!  My mom got this same feedback, to capitalize "totally not random" words.... I have never, ever seen that in a screenplay.  In an Emily Dickinson poem (cool) or someone's Facebook status (cringe), sure.  I don't know where that judge is getting that from... but I doubt it's from reading copious amounts of screenplays :P
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by MissKeister MissKeister wrote:

Originally posted by beckyrcollins beckyrcollins wrote:

Madness. 

PREACH!!!  My mom got this same feedback, to capitalize "totally not random" words.... I have never, ever seen that in a screenplay.  In an Emily Dickinson poem (cool) or someone's Facebook status (cringe), sure.  I don't know where that judge is getting that from... but I doubt it's from reading copious amounts of screenplays :P

Folks, please report this feedback. Please. NYCM is giving us the opportunity to improve our overall experience here. Judge comments on the logline and what should be capitalized is total crap. This tells me that, for the people who have this judge, those with a better logline get a better score. Which is NOT the intent of this contest. This particular judge always comments on the loglines and just about nothing else, every single time. And that's just not cool.

We need to let the organizers know the judges who give us value and those who don't.
fioOxf View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fioOxf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by pash pash wrote:

Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

Suggested Edit:

I read a LOT of screenplays and I never see this. If anything, every letter is capitalized in important words or emphasized words (we discussed this back when you reviewed my screenplay suave). I think this is pretty pointless critique imo. It can be useful sometimes in some fiction I've read, but I think what they're asking here is a bit overboard. 

This judge has a real hang-up about loglines and capitals and stuff. I got a comment from 1610 about my logline too, and nothing about capitalisation, but I DID get a sizeable bit of feedback on numerology....!! I mean, yeah, ok, semiotics, but as a salient point? 

SSC19 Gr2 Ch1 Love and Stuff
SSC19 Gr2 Ch2 Grilled
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by lisafox10800 lisafox10800 wrote:

Folks, please report this feedback. Please. NYCM is giving us the opportunity to improve our overall experience here. Judge comments on the logline and what should be capitalized is total crap. This tells me that, for the people who have this judge, those with a better logline get a better score. Which is NOT the intent of this contest. This particular judge always comments on the loglines and just about nothing else, every single time. And that's just not cool.

We need to let the organizers know the judges who give us value and those who don't.

And the other side of the coin; "there's little to find fault with here".  The most scathing criticism was 'I really want to know more about this world'.

Not really useful when compared with the results.  I'd almost rather get something inane.

Edited by Random - 06 Dec 2019 at 2:41pm
This Sig Intentionally Blank
northernwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northernwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 3:26pm
On the flip side, some of the best feedback I have ever gotten is from this judge. I always take logline comments as "there is really nothing wrong with your story so here is a minor detail." I assume they don't mark us off for loglines.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic