NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Writing through... stuffs...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissKeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Writing through... stuffs...
    Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 8:03pm
So, my beloved doggo died very suddenly today.  Anyone else have a bad weekend during one of these things?  I don't want to give up, but writing comedy after burying my pup doesn't feel... natural.  Given I have the action/adventure prompt, but my angle is comedy.  Oy, life.

Anywho, I hope y'all are having a good weekend!  
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by MissKeister MissKeister wrote:

So, my beloved doggo died very suddenly today.  Anyone else have a bad weekend during one of these things?  I don't want to give up, but writing comedy after burying my pup doesn't feel... natural.  Given I have the action/adventure prompt, but my angle is comedy.  Oy, life.

You laugh or you cry.  Have a wake for your pup; tell stories that are maybe a little embellished, remember the good times, write your story, because whether you do or not nothing else has changed.

I lost both cats and my father within a month.  You laugh or you cry.

Edited by Random - 13 Oct 2018 at 8:51pm
This sig intentionally blank
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 9:20pm

I'm very sorry to hear this. Dogs walk with us through life as companions. When they go, it is a loss.

Do what you need to do for yourself and your peace.
Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 10:02pm

I am so, so sorry to see this news. I've lost beloved pets, it's not like losing a family member - it IS losing a family member. Give yourself some space - see how you feel tomorrow. Writing may be a good distraction for you, or not. If it's not, there's no shame in taking the time for yourself and your grief. A blanket and some bad TV sometimes is what your soul needs. But if writing is helpful, perhaps you can change direction and channel your feelings into your work.

In 2016, my mom died four days after I submitted my story to the Flash Fiction semi-finals. I drew Fantasy and wrote a piece about saying goodbye. It was cathartic as she had been hospitalized for five weeks prior and in her final days was surviving on a bi-pap machine for breathing and unable to communicate. I needed to process those feelings and writing helped, a lot. There is no way I would have been able to write a comedy, crime caper, or anything that didn't directly address what I was feeling at the time. The universe gave me what I needed, and I still cherish that story.

Sending you huge virtual hugs. I'm so sorry for your loss. Do what's right for you - do what YOU need right now. Heart
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
J_Fox View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote J_Fox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 10:24pm
So sorry about your pup. I'm not gonna lie -- I wouldn't give a rip about this contest if that happened to my dog. If it helps you to write, write. If not, tend to yourself.
MissKeister View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MissKeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 9:51pm
Thank you all so much for your kind words of encouragement and understanding.  It really means a lot. 

Lisa, I chose to write a goodbye story -- I think it helped :)  Thank you for that!

Hoping you all have pieces you are very proud of.  Can't wait to read <3    Love to you all!
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 11:04pm

Thank you all so much for your kind words of encouragement and understanding.  It really means a lot. 

Lisa, I chose to write a goodbye story -- I think it helped :)  Thank you for that!

Hoping you all have pieces you are very proud of.  Can't wait to read <3    Love to you all!

Heart
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
toeditishuman View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toeditishuman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 1:59pm
I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. Back in July, my lovely cat died the day before the Flash Fiction contest started, and I had a very similar, pretty surreal experience of having to write through a lot of grief. I ended up having a version of my cat star in my story as a way of coping with it (and saying goodbye), and in a way it was good to have something else to focus on. Still, it was difficult, as I'm sure it has been for you.

I just wanted to wish you well, and say I've been there as well. I really hope your writing went well, but more importantly that you're looking after yourself, and taking some time to say goodbye to your dog. Losing a pet is devastating, and it doesn't feel right having to get straight back to work afterwards. I hope all is well <3
FF CH3 Eyes in the Field (sci-fi)
FF CH2 Marbles (fantasy)
Basha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 3:56pm
Sorry about your dog!
This is my very first time entering one of these and not only did I have to work Saturday, but Sunday my Great Aunts came down and needed help cleaning out their mothers (my great grandmothers) house where my Pawpaw (their brother) had lived for before he got sick and came to live with my family for two years before he passed away. He died last September. Recently the house flooded and it got broken into and they left the place in disarray. I spent the day helping to clean the families home and finding old notes and things that reminded me of my grandparents. Then I had to rush and crank out an idea and get it in, in time all Sunday night.
 Post Reply Post Reply