NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Writing Battle spring micro!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 53>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slinkylink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 10:22am
Originally posted by maxbjork maxbjork wrote:

• Ability to delete other people's comments if it's your own story.
Yes! This would be fantastic. You know I am not much of a sharer, and my inability to delete comments is at the top of the list of reasons why. 

I appreciate that you currently have the option to turn off comments, BTW! Great feature.
Will703 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Will703 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 11:35am
Big fan of it auto opening in a new tab Big smile
nickofnight View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickofnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 12:29pm
I’m team same page but don’t mind too much either way. The login thing was my real bugbear there 
wisemel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wisemel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 5:15pm
I like that it opens in a new tab. But I can choose to open in a new tab when I click the link, and folks that want it in the same tab do not have that easy option. For that reason, I say open in the same tab and let the rest of us who have a new tab preference handle that ourselves. (But please do keep it new tab for duels -- that was great.) 

In terms of wishlist items... I would love a way to 'like' or acknowledge comments in some way. I don't want to reply to everyone and fill my thread with comments from myself, but I would like a way to quickly say thanks for commenting if that were possible. Or a bigger wish... threaded replies. Neither of these is critical of course, so just a thought for future updates.

And thanks again, Max. Everything is really great! 

Edited by wisemel - 02 Jun 2023 at 7:39pm
Mrsnetpro View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrsnetpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 8:18pm
So with web pages, we have the option to right click and "open in new tab" so I am in favor of leaving it as the same tab popup but add a button at the top that will essentially mimic the back button.

I LOVE the idea of being able to acknowledge what I've read without having to write commentary but I recognize that's heading down a different path so maybe after you get the forums open you can gather a list of "requests" and maybe they can be voted on? I haven't coded in more than a decade so can't offer to help you in that regard but I'm so happy for you, Max, that people WANT to see this evolve in a way that benefits everyone.
jimiflan2 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimiflan2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2023 at 3:36am
Originally posted by maxbjork maxbjork wrote:

Hmmmm it seems that at least @ZoeLou and @nickofnight might like the story to open in the same tab and have a little back to debrief button. 

Hi Max, I’ve not read all the comments on this thread, but I’m on iPhone and one thing that would be great is a button at the top that can take you back to the main page. There is a Writing Battle Logo at the top, when I’m reading a story, and if that was a link back to the front page it would be really handy.
Lulumacmac View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lulumacmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2023 at 4:01am
Sorry one more thing, definitely not vital and apologies if already mentioned...

Being able to create line breaks in comments and in your story's message. At the moment if you press enter once or even twice it becomes one block of text when you press submit.

Thank you!
I will return overdue reads (so sorry!) I promise but I just need to take a break from NYCM for a bit. I will be back! Big love.
maxbjork View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2023 at 9:04am
Originally posted by Lulumacmac Lulumacmac wrote:

Being able to create line breaks in comments and in your story's message. At the moment if you press enter once or even twice it becomes one block of text when you press submit.

Fixed!

---

Okay, so I'm definitely on pro-same-page team. Like others have said, you can always right click and then open in new tab.

On Monday morning, I'll change it so it opens in the same tab (it's a bit more complicated than it sounds, because if you open in same tab, I want to preserve the page that you were on when you click 'back'). It will be much better, I promise, but it might take me a few hours Monday, and it will be at the same time that the industry judges are reading the stories, so I don't want to introduce a new bug or something.

However, during a Duel in a Battle, the stories will still open in a new tab. I did that for a reason, so that people don't get the stories mixed up, and then it funnels people back to the main site after they have completed the feedback and closed the tab.

Debrief stories are different though, and should probably just open like any other page.

As far as "likes" or "Thanks" ... I might add them to the comments section on stories, but I still have to think about it. I'm super hesitant to add them because of the damage that social media sites cause with "likes." There's a few good books on this, and I just don't want Writing Battle to become that -- where people are constantly returning to see how many 'Likes' they got. I know there's benefits to it, but embarrassingly, I even find I go back to a comment on these forums to see how many 'Thanks' I got.

However, comments on stories are a little be different. Sometimes you just want to show them that you acknowledge their comments or feedback. That's understandable! I might add them to story comments.

The Forums are going to be completely different than commenting. You'll see! No promises it will be ready by next week, but I'm going to try. The plan is for them to have Threaded replies (one level deep). And what do you think about the OP of a thread also having the ability to delete replies (like the planned feature on story comments)? We will obviously still have moderators/moderator tools, but this might be a way for people to have more control over the types of discussions they want to have. I think self-regulation might work in this regard. Better than reporting to a mod. If someone goes delete-crazy, then maybe people will just know to stay away from that person's threads.

Alright... Final Showdown is beginning, and people will arrive soon. Have a good weekend, everyone, and good luck in the Battle!
Lulumacmac View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lulumacmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2023 at 10:42am
Thank you Max! 🙌

I will return overdue reads (so sorry!) I promise but I just need to take a break from NYCM for a bit. I will be back! Big love.
Doug Rowland View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Doug Rowland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2023 at 12:53pm
I haven't done that particular simulation, but I think that Swiss kind of relies on having some smaller houses if you want to ensure that the stories that "make it out" of each House are the top stories in that house. If you had a very large number of stories in a house, you could imagine scenarios where there would be lots of middle of the range stories with large numbers of wins just because there were so many 8-, 9-, and 10-point winners that just by chance, many of them would have "easier" schedules than others. That's just my intuition, but I think there's probably a sweet spot in terms of how "well" you want the Swiss tournament to "seed" the single-elimination part, and how many single-elimination rounds you want to have. Fewer larger houses -- more variability in the winners, and probably more dark horses, if you want to keep a round of 16. More smaller houses -- better "sorting" but you may need a round of 32 or even 64 to do the single-elimination. Not sure if this holds up in real life, but David K and I have some simulation codes we could check this idea against.
Screenwriting 2024 R1 G4: Thad's Thongs Say So Much

250 micro R1 G99: The Intruder
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 53>