NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Writing Battle Genres

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2022 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by maxbjork maxbjork wrote:

…removing Spy and Political Satire (because I can... and "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.")

But there’s still crime caper? Lol.  Just kidding. I would actually be relieved to get crime caper the first time because that meant the next draw would definitely not be it. 😂 

For comedy, what  about melodrama, or maybe farce? I suppose parody (but that’s in the house of satire though maybe more accessible for its form?).  You could also make anything a little niche like vampire comedy as you did with romance (tho that’s kind of a thing on its own). Could be your mash up genre for the adventure of it. 

The potentially weird genres are what I show up for. I can def get my spy or polsat fix (I like!) on NYCM. So I like the two sub genre idea two broad genre idea for WB (or the 1/3 idea even better).    Sounds like you have a solid plan.  

Edited by iress - 23 Aug 2022 at 9:47pm
R2 100
FF R2 22
FF '21 7th
maxbjork View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2022 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by iress iress wrote:

But there’s still crime caper? Lol.  Just kidding. I would actually be relieved to get crime caper the first time because that meant the next draw would definitely not be it. 😂 

For comedy, what  about melodrama, or maybe farce? I suppose parody (but that’s in the house of satire though maybe more accessible for its form?).  You could also make anything a little niche like vampire comedy as you did with romance (tho that’s kind of a thing on its own). Could be your mash up genre for the adventure of it.

Hahaha oh trust me... I hate Crime Caper just as much as Pol Sat and Spy. I've never used Crime Caper in WB for that reason, but I think it caannnn work (maybe) and that bucket is a little empty. Pol Sat is actually one of my favourite genres, but just not for a writing competition. Death of Stalin, In the Loop, and Veep are some of the best films/shows ever.

Love it -- melodrama, farce, and parody.

Mash up genres... So that's where I struggle with this. If I do vampire comedy, is that considered spec or comedic? Anyone here that hates writing spec... if you saw Vampire Comedy, would you consider that spec?
td333777 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote td333777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2022 at 10:11pm
Vampire Comedy (though it sounds like spec fic) really categorizes as comedy for me.  No matter what word comes before it, “comedy” means it’s got to be funny as a primary goal—so I’d say it’s more comedy than spec.  And I know a ton of spec fic writers that would see their draw and say “Vampire…Sweet!…oh damn…COMEDY?!  F#%k me.”  They’d all say comedy is a beast in and of itself, very different than speculative fiction.

Edited by td333777 - 23 Aug 2022 at 10:14pm
FFC Ch2 Boom
FFC Ch1 8 Minutes to Eagle Tail
FF '17 - 1st, SSC '18 - 2nd, FF '20 - 7th
iress View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2022 at 11:13pm

Originally posted by iress iress wrote:

Hahaha oh trust me... I hate Crime Caper just as much as Pol Sat and Spy. I've never used Crime Caper in WB for that reason, but I think it caannnn work (maybe) and that bucket is a little empty. Pol Sat is actually one of my favourite genres, but just not for a writing competition. Death of Stalin, In the Loop, and Veep are some of the best films/shows ever.

Love it -- melodrama, farce, and parody.

Mash up genres... So that's where I struggle with this. If I do vampire comedy, is that considered spec or comedic? Anyone here that hates writing spec... if you saw Vampire Comedy, would you consider that spec?

I'd see it as opportunity to make fun of something I dislike.  But I suppose parody would cover that. So actually, if you just had parody, and I rolled a "vampire" character, boom, I have my vampire comedy. Maybe comedy is just a broader genre and our other prompts define it.

Edited by iress - 23 Aug 2022 at 11:15pm
R2 100
FF R2 22
FF '21 7th
dcontarato View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dcontarato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2022 at 1:34am

Originally posted by dcontarato dcontarato wrote:

Hey Max - as you know, I skipped this one to focus on NYCM Short Screenplay, but since you ask here about suggestions for the genres, I'll give you my 2 cents.

I think it would be good to have a spread of genres catering to a wide range of interests. For example, one of each:
- speculative (sci-fi, fantasy, etc.)
- plot-driven (mystery, thriller, etc.)
- comedic (comedy, rom-com, caper)
- "serious" (drama, romance...) 

Knowing that what we like or something similar will be there or possibly a swap away, while not guaranteed, could be an incentive for writers of all inclinations to join.

For example, I would immediately swap a comedic genre for either of the other three!

Okay, finally have some time to come back to this. That's interesting, and others seem to like it as well. So where would the other genres land in this categorization? What about Action? Is that Plot-driven? What are some other genres that fall into "serious?" I'd like to nail this down before the Short Story battle in November.

Hey Max! 

I'm glad this sparked a good conversation--you have great input above from Trey, nod, and iress. And I think you should definitely continue to offer the cool "sub-genres", while keeping the spectrum of categories broad. I had fun myself with Breakout Story back in May, who would've thought LOL

I hope to be back for the November Battle! Just keep something scifi-ish in there Wink
northernwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northernwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2022 at 3:06am
I am a comedy writer. But I would HATE being assigned « farce » or « parody » - not my brand of comedy and it feels like it’s just to fill a slot. On the other hand, I LOVE political satire. Would be nice to have this category just as more lighthearted options - doesn’t have to be comedic but more « feel good » type stories if you need other options. I would also LOVE to try a comedy-horror mashup like Scream or Scary Movie.

Also even though I normally write comedy, I tend to draw serious genres for this contest. But I try them so I can learn.

Alex
Microfiction 2021: 4th place overall
Flash Fiction 2020: 8th place overall
UK5AM View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote UK5AM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2022 at 3:45am
For my first NYCM comedy prompt I did a screwball comedy and that was so much fun. Like I have previously said, the weird genres are what draw me to Writing Battle, so a 3/1 split sounds fine to me. If I got the 1 'normal' genre I would switch it and know I'm getting my fix of oddity. Alternative History was a great one back in Feb, I didn't pull it but I loved judging it! I didn't think that one was too 'out there' for literary writers or genre writers. Similarly vampire romance had some that leaned heavily into romance and they just happened to be vampires, and others were all about the blood and garlic.
Not giving genre definitions and examples is great because it gives the author a lot of freedom to be creative.

Whoever suggested cyberpunk I love you LOL 
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2022 at 8:02am
Originally posted by northernwriter northernwriter wrote:

I
. I would also LOVE to try a comedy-horror mashup like Scream or Scary Movie.

Alex

I HATE comedy because it’s so terribly subjective. But something like Scary Movie or Campy Horror Flick sound fun!
Mrsnetpro View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrsnetpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2022 at 1:28pm
Vampire comedy would remind me of "Love at First Bite". I think for some of these genres it might be subject to misinterpretation because how much is comedy and how much is vampire? If I were judging Vampire romance and the protagonist hated everybody it would be clear there is no romance but for comedy it would be easy to misinterpret if the grammar and punctuation aren't perfect. I liken it to "one night stand" versus "one, night stand". One is furniture one is not.

When I judged the last competition there were some that I thought were right "on the line" because they were focused more on the plot than it being witchcraft but maybe the answer is a different way of scoring. I still maintain there's a lot of value in scoring specific aspects of an entry because you could have five elements, give the nod to one story but at the end still give the overall to the other. 
Jennk View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2022 at 1:36pm
Max, thank you so much for consulting the community as you develop genres and sub-genres for the next competition. I’ve only been doing these contests for a year but I really love Writing Battle and I’m drawn to the sub-genres. Definitely very fun and gives me a chance to really challenge myself. Last time around I got Witchcraft and this time I drew Paranormal Mystery (I traded Drama for a chance of something more exciting). 😀

A couple of additional sub-genre ideas: Climate Fiction (“Cli-Fi”), Magical Realism, Young Adult

A note on comedy: I drew Crime Caper recently for an NYCM Contest and I thought it was kinda exciting to write something silly and comical. I didn’t know there was such animosity towards this genre but I personally would include it, especially as you were concerned that the Comedic category was light. The genre I fear is Political Satire but I have read some amazing stories in this category and I would do my best to embrace it. 

WB offers one genre swap so if somebody got their “dreaded genre,” they can always switch. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic