NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Writing Battle Genres

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 28>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CamsynClair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 9:06am
Originally posted by maxbjork maxbjork wrote:

Total Subject: superiority complex :: 39

Total Subject: wrath :: 30

Total Subject: addiction :: 66

Total Subject: love lost :: 53

Total Subject: masked party :: 52

Total Subject: underdressed :: 26

Total Subject: spin bottle :: 18

Total Subject: exaggerated size :: 25

Also, note that these were only the people that ended up submitting a story. Only 309 people submitted a story out of 436. Roughly 13-ish of those 309 people have since been disqualified because their story did not fit the criteria or they failed to judge a Duel.
It's the most stories we've received by far, but the lowest ratio of stories submitted vs registered. I think it has something to do with the higher word count.

This is incredible--thank you! I think it does make since that there's less retention with a longer word count. I imagine Winter Flash will be pretty big!!
UK5AM View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote UK5AM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 9:07am
Very interesting stats!
I stuck with mine because I was rather trigger happy on the old redraw button. 

It may be the most ridiculous story I've ever written and that's saying something. But these prompts will always make me laugh, so I'm happy about that.

Can't wait for the forums to open, just doing my final duel now Tongue
UK5AM View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote UK5AM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 9:08am
Just out of interest how many character cards are there?
maxbjork View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 9:16am
Originally posted by UK5AM UK5AM wrote:

Just out of interest how many character cards are there?

There were 84 possible character prompts for this battle, but we'll keep adding more (to all prompt sets including Subject).

Also, once I get the new site up and running, it might be fun to have a stats/graph page where people can explore these things -- if enough people are interested that is. A bunch of different stats about the tournament as well (revealed after the tournament of course), like number of Duels, number of tie breakers, etc. Just off the top of my head. Might be fun.

Okay... now I'm just procrastinating. Back to studying Web Development, so I can rebuild this website from scratch!
slinkylink View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote slinkylink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 9:19am
Thanks for the stats, Max! Seeing the two prompts that I traded away is a bit nostalgic. Seems like a long time ago when I was like, "Hm...maybe?" and then "Uh, no." before hitting the old swap button.

It's the most stories we've received by far, but the lowest ratio of stories submitted vs registered. I think it has something to do with the higher word count.
I agree that the higher word count may have been a factor. Also, I wonder if having a more extended time limit might work against some. It seems counterintuitive, but I'm more likely to procrastinate when I have several days to write. On the other hand, when I have 24-48 hours, I start almost immediately. 

Edited by slinkylink - 22 Nov 2022 at 9:23am
maxbjork View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 9:32am
Originally posted by slinkylink slinkylink wrote:

Thanks for the stats, Max! Seeing the two prompts that I traded away is a bit nostalgic. Seems like a long time ago when I was like, "Hm...maybe?" and then "Uh, no." before hitting the old swap button.

I agree that the higher word count may have been a factor. Also, I wonder if having a more extended time limit might work against some. It seems counterintuitive, but I'm more likely to procrastinate when I have several days to write. On the other hand, when I have 24-48 hours, I start almost immediately. 

Yeah, agreed. This could definitely be another factor. I was wondering if the extra time with Duels would have this same effect, but so far it hasn't.

However, I do like it that writers have extra time to write. I was even thinking for Flash to have it start on the Thursday instead of Friday, so everyone gets an extra day. So it would be 3 days to write for the 1000-Word Winter Flash Fiction and still 2 days to write for the 500-Word Microfiction Battle in the Spring. Thoughts on that?

Edited by maxbjork - 22 Nov 2022 at 9:33am
hungrywriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hungrywriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 9:45am

Originally posted by slinkylink slinkylink wrote:

Yeah, agreed. This could definitely be another factor. I was wondering if the extra time with Duels would have this same effect, but so far it hasn't.

However, I do like it that writers have extra time to write. I was even thinking for Flash to have it start on the Thursday instead of Friday, so everyone gets an extra day. So it would be 3 days to write for the 1000-Word Winter Flash Fiction and still 2 days to write for the 500-Word Microfiction Battle in the Spring. Thoughts on that?

Big fan of the 3 day window for 1000 word Flash! That extra day to let ideas marinate takes some of the pressure off, which makes the experience a *lot* more enjoyable in my opinion. 

I really liked the five days for this 2,000 word contest- it's enough time for "life" to happen so you don't have to totally tune out the world to write, but it's not so much time that you lose focus. Just my opinion! It's my first Writing Battle but the experience has been really fun so far. 
slinkylink View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote slinkylink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 9:48am

I love having an extra day for the duels. It's great being able to read the stories and then sleep on them before rereading, writing my notes, and selecting a winner. 

I'm definitely for more time, even if I myself might squander it! Also, I suspect more people will sign up if they have a larger window. I personally haven't signed up for the next WB Flash because it overlaps with NYCM Rhyming Finals, and I am deluded enough to think I might be busy with that. Last round, I did both WB Flash and R1 of NYCM Screenwriting in the same 48 hours, and it was a bit much. So if I thought I had an extra day for WB....well...Wink

Edited by slinkylink - 22 Nov 2022 at 9:50am
Mrsnetpro View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mrsnetpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 11:33am
I think there are a number of things.

1. Starting on a Tuesday - May be tough for people who work M-F and then having a deadline of 10PM on Sunday. I think there were a few people on here Sunday night trying to finish theirs...maybe a few more hours would've helped?
2. Genres - Historical Fiction can take a lot of time to research for a longer story. There are far fewer elements needed for flash. 
3. Timing - From start to finish (the time we get the prompts through the last duel) is drawn out and for those in the US it's now Thanksgiving week so some may not have been available throughout. 

In regards to the overall word count, I don't think that matters as much, I think read at least one story that was <1500 words and I think another wasn't much more than that. I'd much rather read a solid 1500 words than one of 2000 words that's been filled with fluff.

I will say though that having much longer stories does require more time to judge and for each duel I read it, made notes, slept on it, reread it, made notes/corrections and then went back again before I submitted my feedback. I also check the genre/character/subject and if I didn't see it I went back yet again as they might've been a secondary one or it might have been referenced without actually having any "action" associated with it.

Edited by Mrsnetpro - 22 Nov 2022 at 11:33am
UK5AM View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote UK5AM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 11:43am
Originally posted by Mrsnetpro Mrsnetpro wrote:

I think there are a number of things.

1. Starting on a Tuesday - May be tough for people who work M-F and then having a deadline of 10PM on Sunday. I think there were a few people on here Sunday night trying to finish theirs...maybe a few more hours would've helped?

I agree, though I'm not sure what can be done about the time frame. Someone else commented that everyone had five days to write and edit so no excuse for not editing grammar and typos. I actually work Saturdays too so I was working for 9 hours on each of the days except the Sunday - I wrote on my lunch breaks - I'm hoping that "would benefit from editing" won't be the only feedback I receive! LOL 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 28>
  Share Topic