NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Writing Battle Genres

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 28>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 10:14am
Shout out to A.J. Gemick from these forums for the genre "Paranormal Mystery." So cool!

@cford -- that's the biggest thing with these random prompts will millions of combinations, there's some unfortunate matchings with old vs modern. There's a possibility that I revamp it and make it so there's a limited amount of prompts. Enough so that every time you redraw you will get something new, but a small enough number so that they can be better controlled. I also think it's an interesting idea to seed the tournament brackets in this way. So your initial seeding puts you up against people with the exact same prompts. Maybe for the Short Story Autumn battle I will do this. In addition, it would mean people can share their prompts without worrying about revealing the identifier of the author of the story.

Hope you all are having fun :)
cford View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote cford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 10:42am
Originally posted by maxbjork maxbjork wrote:

Shout out to A.J. Gemick from these forums for the genre "Paranormal Mystery." So cool!

@cford -- that's the biggest thing with these random prompts will millions of combinations, there's some unfortunate matchings with old vs modern. There's a possibility that I revamp it and make it so there's a limited amount of prompts. Enough so that every time you redraw you will get something new, but a small enough number so that they can be better controlled. I also think it's an interesting idea to seed the tournament brackets in this way. So your initial seeding puts you up against people with the exact same prompts. Maybe for the Short Story Autumn battle I will do this. In addition, it would mean people can share their prompts without worrying about revealing the identifier of the author of the story.

Hope you all are having fun :)

Having loads of fun. All good with the prompt match ups - that's what makes it interesting and helps us be creative, I made something work (I hope!)
Jennk View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jennk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 10:46pm
Hi Max,

This is my second time participating in WB and I love it! Last time around, I stayed with all three prompts, but this time I traded a genre (still didn't get the one I wanted - oh well, that's the risk) and used three draws for an object. Then, inspiration struck! I appreciated the option to draw, so thank you for the new system offering trades! 

I ever re-read my feedback from last time so I didn't make the same "mistakes." I'm sure I'll make a bunch of new ones, but I so enjoy pushing myself creatively with these contests.

Out of curiousity, how many submissions in each of the four genres? I recall last time it was a little unevent. Also, why three sub-genres and then one standard?

Jenn
bluevervain View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote bluevervain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 10:57pm
Sci-fi! I'll admit I was hoping for drama because that's my wheelhouse, but my personal strategy with Writing Battle is to take whatever I'm given and try to make it work. I think it turned out ok! Excited to see what others came up with. 
maxbjork View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 4:28am
Originally posted by Jennk Jennk wrote:

Hi Max,

This is my second time participating in WB and I love it! Last time around, I stayed with all three prompts, but this time I traded a genre (still didn't get the one I wanted - oh well, that's the risk) and used three draws for an object. Then, inspiration struck! I appreciated the option to draw, so thank you for the new system offering trades! 

I ever re-read my feedback from last time so I didn't make the same "mistakes." I'm sure I'll make a bunch of new ones, but I so enjoy pushing myself creatively with these contests.

Out of curiousity, how many submissions in each of the four genres? I recall last time it was a little unevent. Also, why three sub-genres and then one standard?

Jenn

Hi Jenn,

Thank you so much! I will know the final tally after I skim through the submissions, and then a certain number of people will not do their first duel, so technically I won't know the actual final numbers until the 10th or the 11th. It's approximately a little over 60 stories in each genre. Fable looks like it was was least popular (but that's just a guess by eye-balling it).

For the genres, I tried to choose 2 "typical" genres and 2 sub-genres. Drama and Sci-Fi were the typical ones, and Fable and Paranormal Mystery were the atypical ones. Just trying out different type combinations :)

Cheers,

-Max
NERdling View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NERdling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 7:18am
Originally posted by bluevervain bluevervain wrote:

Sci-fi! I'll admit I was hoping for drama because that's my wheelhouse, but my personal strategy with Writing Battle is to take whatever I'm given and try to make it work. I think it turned out ok! Excited to see what others came up with. 

I also got sci-fi! I like about 70% of what I submitted. I think I need to stay in the "make whatever I get work" camp next time. I ran out of time again and I think it's because I didn't lock in my prompts until last minute so I thought out my story less. I submitted at around 750 words and could have really used the left over 250 for a transition from climax to resolution. 

I still had a great time with it though :)
slinkylink View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slinkylink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 8:35am
This is my third Writing Battle and my first time swapping my genre. I initially drew Sci-Fi. I would have enjoyed the challenge on any normal weekend as I have never written SF. But with the NYCM SW competition running concurrently, I knew I would be stretched thin mentally and was afraid I would get bogged down in the science. 

I also used all but one of my other swaps changing characters. The first one I did with my husband nearby. We spitballed and discussed different story ideas. It was all very methodically. But the following day, when he left for work, I could not hit the swap button fast enough. Swap - Nah - swap - mmmm, nope - swap - well maybe, actually no. I was like a gambler casually burning through their bucket of quarters at a slot machine. Luckily I finally landed on a character that inspired me and was able to  write something that resembled a story to turn in!
td333777 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote td333777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 9:50am
Originally I got drama, and my first reaction was “Ugh. No.”  Part of the reason I love this contest is the weird genre selection, which really makes me try new things/styles.  So I re-rolled and got fable, to which I responded “Woo hoo!  Something unusual.”  Now, after a weekend of trying to write a fable, I realize my initial reaction SHOULD have been “Ugh. No.”  :)

Trey
FFC Ch3 Cold Always Finds a Way In
FF '17 - 1st, SSC '18 - 2nd, FF '20 - 7th
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 10:22am

Knowing I was in the line of fire to defend my crown from last time, I was pretty happy to draw SciFi, since SpecFic is my strength.

But I got greedy with the free draws and used my last one to swap an ok character for a blah one. And then the 'VID kicked my butt. So.... tired... 

At least I subbed something.

Hoping I have a little more energy for C2 of Flash this weekend! 
alromanos View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alromanos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 11:13am
I got SciFi and immediately swapped. World building isn't my strong suit.  I ended up with Fable, which was a surprising joy.  I had a very good time writing something I never would have thought to try!  I'm excited for the duels to begin and the forums to eventually open up. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 28>
  Share Topic