NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Everything Else
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Writing Battle Genres

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 32>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote cford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Writing Battle Genres
    Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 9:09pm
Yes there was:

paranormal mystery
science fiction
Drama
Fable

I thought it might be all sub genres from what Max was saying after the last one so a bit suprised
Popsicle Crows View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Popsicle Crows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 9:15pm
The others are fable, science fiction and drama.

I had to use up all my re-draws and still had a serious mismatch issue, lol. Not the end of the world. I *think* I made it work but the judges may feel differently.

NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Popsicle Crows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 9:16pm
oops, beat me to it, cford! :-)

MarlynnOfMany View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarlynnOfMany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 5:52am
I got science fiction, and I could NOT be happier.
ZoeLou View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ZoeLou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 6:31am
I'll be honest, I'm kind of pretending I got paranormal mystery (so cool!) and just hoping judges don't mind me aggressively hurling fantasy elements at a genre that is.... not that.
SSC R1: The Many Faces of Gemini

All my NYCM work: Author Archive
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Popsicle Crows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 6:36am
Originally posted by ZoeLou ZoeLou wrote:

I'll be honest, I'm kind of pretending I got paranormal mystery (so cool!) and just hoping judges don't mind me aggressively hurling fantasy elements at a genre that is.... not that.
Even Star Trek had fantasy elements so you're probably good since the other genres are sort of fantastical anyways and drama can be any genre.
The two new genres are fabulous. 
cford View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 7:33am
I redrew my genre ( I was happy with all of the other 3 so that was an easy call) and then used all my swaps on character and object. It was a fairly weird combo in the end but I have just submitted something I don't hate (which probably doesn't bode well lol) 

So much fun and I'm looking forward to reading some amazing stories in the weeks to come.
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Popsicle Crows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 8:22am
Originally posted by cford cford wrote:

I redrew my genre ( I was happy with all of the other 3 so that was an easy call) and then used all my swaps on character and object. It was a fairly weird combo in the end but I have just submitted something I don't hate (which probably doesn't bode well lol) 

So much fun and I'm looking forward to reading some amazing stories in the weeks to come.

I feel somewhat the same. I love my goofy little story but that may be a bad sign LOL
I love the genre I got. All my swaps were for the object. The mismatch was like a medieval story with a smart phone or a sailing story with mountain climbing gear.
Make it work! as they say.

I wish NYCM had the two new genres. Both look fun to try.
cford View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 9:34am
Originally posted by Popsicle Crows Popsicle Crows wrote:

Originally posted by cford cford wrote:

I feel somewhat the same. I love my goofy little story but that may be a bad sign LOL
I love the genre I got. All my swaps were for the object. The mismatch was like a medieval story with a smart phone or a sailing story with mountain climbing gear.
Make it work! as they say.

I wish NYCM had the two new genres. Both look fun to try.

oohh - my mismatch had the very same quality - a quite ancient concept mixed with much more modern things.....
maxbjork View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 10:14am
Shout out to A.J. Gemick from these forums for the genre "Paranormal Mystery." So cool!

@cford -- that's the biggest thing with these random prompts will millions of combinations, there's some unfortunate matchings with old vs modern. There's a possibility that I revamp it and make it so there's a limited amount of prompts. Enough so that every time you redraw you will get something new, but a small enough number so that they can be better controlled. I also think it's an interesting idea to seed the tournament brackets in this way. So your initial seeding puts you up against people with the exact same prompts. Maybe for the Short Story Autumn battle I will do this. In addition, it would mean people can share their prompts without worrying about revealing the identifier of the author of the story.

Hope you all are having fun :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 32>