NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Worst Feedback You've EVER Received?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by plkphoto plkphoto wrote:

Originally posted by Joni Joni wrote:

Originally posted by Lookit There Lookit There wrote:

One of the judges here last year asked me...where my story was taking place.
Uhm, in the assigned setting. The one described in detail, AND discussed by the two most prominent characters not one, not twice, but on three separate occasions.
THAT'S where my story took place, Judge.
My 0 score wouldn't have bothered me as much had I felt that all of the judges had actually READ IT.

This would infuriate me! Being my first time in the competition, I'm curious - if something like this happens, do you guys do the feedback about the judges that it has available at the bottom of the email? I'm hoping so, and hoping that NYCM would not continue using those types of judges from year to year...

The judge feedback thing is relatively new... and a lot of the problems we're discussing about the judges in this thread are probably the reason that it now exists... judge feedback has improved greatly over the last year... still some slip through, but much better than it was.

Glad to hear that! I thought it was odd that they have that option, but after reading some of the things people have been told, I'm glad they do. 
Andrea View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by Tonatale Tonatale wrote:

Last year's SSC:

"Volunteer firefighters serve at the fire station."

The character to include was "volunteer firefighter."

If you don't know what a volunteer firefighter is and the assigned prompt is volunteer firefighter, you should ask for a different group to judge.

Got HM on that one, which means just missed advancing. Still bitter.

I'm still licking my wounds from that competition too.  I had Political Satire and was excited to have one of those somewhat rare, "Wow, I'm really happy with my story," moments.  My feedback on the forums was really positive, everyone thought I was right in the Political Satire wheelhouse.

Then I got an HM and a judge that said:

This is not political satire, it's just a story about a politician and a transgender person (this is a political issue for some, but that doesn't make the story satire).

I disagree, but it doesn't matter.  It's like crying in space.  Still I got a story I love and learned that the judges come with their biases, and there's not a damn thing I can do to change that. 

Edited by Andrea - 18 Sep 2017 at 9:43pm
QuietAmerican View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote QuietAmerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 10:48pm
The worst feedback I receive is from myself, everything else is candy no matter how bitter it tastes.
R2 G48 2017 Flash Fiction

My Scream is My Song
Andrea View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by QuietAmerican QuietAmerican wrote:

The worst feedback I receive is from myself, everything else is candy no matter how bitter it tastes.

Ha! So true.
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 10:52pm

^^^this x 1000
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
Lookit There View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lookit There Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 11:32pm

Hands up and Amen to that.
I'm still kicking myself over what I perceive to be flaws in my first story - which earned 15 points! My own worst critic, ever and always.
plkphoto View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote plkphoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 5:40am

Originally posted by plkphoto plkphoto wrote:

Originally posted by Lookit There Lookit There wrote:

One of the judges here last year asked me...where my story was taking place.
Uhm, in the assigned setting. The one described in detail, AND discussed by the two most prominent characters not one, not twice, but on three separate occasions.
THAT'S where my story took place, Judge.
My 0 score wouldn't have bothered me as much had I felt that all of the judges had actually READ IT.

This would infuriate me! Being my first time in the competition, I'm curious - if something like this happens, do you guys do the feedback about the judges that it has available at the bottom of the email? I'm hoping so, and hoping that NYCM would not continue using those types of judges from year to year...

The judge feedback thing is relatively new... and a lot of the problems we're discussing about the judges in this thread are probably the reason that it now exists... judge feedback has improved greatly over the last year... still some slip through, but much better than it was.

Glad to hear that! I thought it was odd that they have that option, but after reading some of the things people have been told, I'm glad they do. 

Probably good to give feedback if you LIKED your judges too... not just if you had a problem. That way they'll know which ones are keepers. Smile
FFC 2018

Ch1 Gr62 -- The Other Side of the Coin (Thriller)
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 9:32am
Originally posted by Andrea Andrea wrote:

This is not political satire, it's just a story about a politician and a transgender person (this is a political issue for some, but that doesn't make the story satire).

Oh, I remember that story and the feedback and thought the judge was a nincompoop.
shanan187 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shanan187 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 8:54pm
Not the "worst" feedback I've ever gotten, but probably the most annoying was this round when the judge mis-named a character over and over. Say it with me, judge, "Janie"... not "Jamie". It's nit-picky, and I scored great... but at the same time, said judge's comments didn't offer much substance. I'd totally overlook the misspelling if it didn't seem like they'd neglected to read the story.
steph9289 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steph9289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 9:24pm
For Round 2 of SSC 2017, one of the judges quoted part of my story in his/her feedback. However, the judge did not include the entire quote which was: "I hope I at least read the damn thing," which doesn't in fact confirm that my character did read the contract (like this judge's comment is suggesting).

Judge: Wouldn't he be able to remember what the contract said if he "read the damn thing"? If so, then he wouldn't have any trouble, perhaps.

GRRRRR. Unhappy

In that same round...I had another judge tell me that my horror couldn't be funny. *rolls eyes*
#amrevising
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>