NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Worst Feedback You've EVER Received?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MegOverman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 2:01am
Originally posted by Scarlet Screenwriter Scarlet Screenwriter wrote:

1.  I hate feedback that picks on stupid stuff like spelling numbers under ten and spelling out any number if it starts a sentence.  Grammar or spelling NAZIS ...

I will keep this in mind if I ever drop by your threads. But TO BE FAIR, I do this for a living. Every day. And sometimes it comes out with my crits. >.> (I don't think I warrant "nazi" status, though. I never bring it up in casual convos or harp on it. Just if people are -seeking- feedback.)

*hides self*
Have a glass of wine and take it like a writer.

R1 - A Waste of Stars (Drama)
plkphoto View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plkphoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 2:25am
The worst (least helpful) feedback I got was an NYCM comedy in 2015... the judges were on a different planet than me, apparently... I took film noir and flipped all the tropes on their head, but kept the dry voice and over-the-top similes and random one-liners. The forumites got it and loved it... the judges... not so much.

"The protagonist is hard to follow. She’s spiteful and her inner monologue is just making fun of and judging the people around her..." -- that's kind of the whole noir style, in a nutshell

"slapping such a common label [hipster] on one of the story's two main characters flattened him rather than giving him depth" -- note, it was first person, I didn't slap the label on, the protagonist did, and the whole thing is her realizing he might be more than that...

"Didn't understand the significance of the Greek family being mentioned." -- Um... I mentioned that she had to earn money because "her Greek family expected her home for Christmas, bearing presents no less..." Greeks bearing presents... hello? No?

Anyway... I'm not still bitter about that judging or score... Stern Smile

Edited by plkphoto - 18 Sep 2017 at 2:26am
FFC 2018

Ch1 Gr62 -- The Other Side of the Coin (Thriller)
LyndaD View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LyndaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 2:33am
Oh, I forgot the one where a judge told me black-eyed Susans were to obscure of a flower and I should use a rose instead. The character's name was Susan. She painted black-eyed Susans because her name was Susan.
plkphoto View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plkphoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 2:37am
Originally posted by LyndaD LyndaD wrote:

Oh, I forgot the one where a judge told me black-eyed Susans were to obscure of a flower and I should use a rose instead. The character's name was Susan. She painted black-eyed Susans because her name was Susan.

I remember that!
FFC 2018

Ch1 Gr62 -- The Other Side of the Coin (Thriller)
MattrickBT View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattrickBT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 3:04am
Originally posted by Scarlet Screenwriter Scarlet Screenwriter wrote:

Well, the worst feedback I ever received was no feedback at all ... NYC used to be pretty crap with deadlines and feedback.  Improved greatly in the last few years. 

There are still things I HATE about some of the feedback ...

1.  I hate feedback that picks on stupid stuff like spelling numbers under ten and spelling out any number if it starts a sentence.  Grammar or spelling NAZIS ...

2.  Using American instead of International spelling ... it's called ENGLISH, not AMERICAN!  For many of the people in this competition now, English is either a second language or they are not American.

3.  Judges that say don't use FIN or THE END at the end ... So what?

4.  Judges that say things like "If I were writing this, I would ..." and then suggest something really stupid that you threw out before fingers eve hit keyboard.   Well, you're not, so FUK YOU!

5.  Dribble on about how your screenplay or story isn't following "tradition" ... these entries are meant to be READ AS LITERARY PIECES, not filmed or published, so at times you need to depart from the normal or traditional.

6.  That brings up judges that roll out their college or film school mantras to big note themselves ... you can practically smell the cut and paste! 

7.  Judges that get feedback mixed up!  Happens all the time ...

Go on, tell us how you really feel.

Edited by MattrickBT - 18 Sep 2017 at 3:06am
MattrickBT View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattrickBT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 3:05am
The worst feedback I ever got was when someone told me 'I really liked your story'. They said nothing else. Thanks for the input, Gertrude Stein!

Edited by MattrickBT - 18 Sep 2017 at 3:05am
Hollyvict View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hollyvict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 4:50am
Not feedback I've personally received... just the worst feedback I've ever seen. 

This was for a story by DBA Lehane. It was set on a broken down tugboat crowded with refugees stranded for days in the middle of the Mediterranean ocean in the blistering heat with no food or water. The boat flips over and casts everyone into the sea.

JUDGE DIDN'T UNDERSTAND WHY THE SITUATION WAS DANGEROUS. 
selphie_trabia View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote selphie_trabia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 4:51am
I had a teacher once who called my main character a "frigid bitch" because she didn't "put out" for the main male lead.  >_>

They didn't have THAT kind of relationship, so I just got confused about it.

EDIT: Just FYI, this teacher was female.  But she was also very strange.  I later found out that EVERYONE in my class had sex-related negative feedback on their stories.  Even the girl who was writing about sunflowers.

Edited by selphie_trabia - 18 Sep 2017 at 5:03am
Alexis_H View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alexis_H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 5:57am
"Well, that's bizarre."
I queried what was bizarre about it. She said;
"You wrote something that people thought was good."
Not a question, just a statement. It is bizarre that I wrote something good. To top it all off, SHE never read a word of it.

My mother... last week! LOLStern Smile
Archive
250 R2
<a href="https://tinyurl.com/YACCMMDD" rel="nofollow">250 (R1)</
sarahnut View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarahnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 6:23am
Originally posted by Alexis_H Alexis_H wrote:

"Well, that's bizarre."
I queried what was bizarre about it. She said;
"You wrote something that people thought was good."
Not a question, just a statement. It is bizarre that I wrote something good. To top it all off, SHE never read a word of it.

My mother... last week! LOLStern Smile

Mothers, eh?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>