NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Words you read first and now mispronounce

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeymanWrites Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 2:23pm
I'm a sucker to the segue as well!

But also, maniacal - thought it was just maniac-al instead of man-eye-ack-al.

No idea how people can learn English as a second language!
First Round Entry :) https://forums.nycmidnight.com/topic40745_post421639.html#421639
kristina_f View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristina_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by swilki swilki wrote:

Maybe this is a cross the pond thing but in the UK it is fortay as if the acute e was lost.

'Fortay' is the predominate pronunciation just about every where English is spoken, I believe. Enough so that it could probably be considered correct. But it's one of those examples of where the less sensical version of something persisted, and the line between persistence and correctness is awkward territory. We shouldn't be slaves to etymology, but it still deserves some respect.

When I was growing up, sentences like 'I did good on my English test' were commonplace. It was hitting a point where I was ready to accept that's just how it is now, much like the near total demise of 'whom'. But it seems to have reversed a little and more people are once again 'doing well' on their tests, opting for charity or volunteerism when they long to 'do good'.
FFC2 GR68: the astronomer
Cosima View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by kristina_f kristina_f wrote:

Originally posted by Reasonably_Crazy Reasonably_Crazy wrote:

Originally posted by ChillyToez ChillyToez wrote:

sieve which I always thought rhymed with believe until some nice person disabused me of that idea.... 

Uhhhh... so what DOES it rhyme with? Because I also pronounce it like "believe"

Rhymes with 'give'.

Well. I learned something today. LOL

I used to think "affluent" was pronounced with the stress on the second syllable: a-FLOO-ent.
Also took a while to learn "paradigm."
SSC 2021 R2: Complex Fracture
SSC 2021 R1: Before Her Time 2nd
theinquisitor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theinquisitor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 9:07am
One that springs to mind was I used to think 'blackguard' was pronounced how it's spelt.
In the opposite problem, I used to hear 'respite' as 'restbite' and for a long time thought that was how the word was written. In my defence, it sort of means to have a rest from something...
Nimhathuna View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nimhathuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 9:22am
None. However, my grandmother (who brought me up) always said 'vigenar' instead of 'vinegar.' It was always her downfall.
Nero Nero View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nero Nero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 10:21am
So many!
‘Rendezvous’ is one I remember distinctly from a Three Investigators book.
To be honest there are still many words that I read snd understand but never say - in some cases just in case! Crazy English spelling (that’s what I tell my seven year old - and yes I know rendezvous is French lol).
KateHJ View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KateHJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 10:51am
Well. I learned something today. LOL

I used to think "affluent" was pronounced with the stress on the second syllable: a-FLOO-ent.
Also took a while to learn "paradigm."
[/QUOTE]

A WHOLE lot of people pronounce it that way! I always pronounced it correctly, but started to doubt myself later after hearing so many well-educated people pronounce it that way! LOL
Reasonably_Crazy View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reasonably_Crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by theinquisitor theinquisitor wrote:

One that springs to mind was I used to think 'blackguard' was pronounced how it's spelt.

I just learned this one recently thanks to the subtitles on Shadow and Bone (if I'm remembering correctly). I was like, hey, the actor said "blaggard" but the subtitles said "blackguard" and... ohhhhhhh.
thedreaminghare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thedreaminghare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 9:30pm
The first time I said the word "fiery" out loud was during a read-aloud portion in high school English. I didn't connect that "fiery" was you know.... fiery. Instead, I thought it was pronounced like Guy Fieri's surname, which was rough to say the least.

At present, I've received weird looks for the way I pronounce "drought" (like doubt) but I'm sticking with it!
MF100 R1 Deliverance
jasondenys View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasondenys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by thedreaminghare thedreaminghare wrote:

At present, I've received weird looks for the way I pronounce "drought" (like doubt) but I'm sticking with it!

Well, drought and doubt rhyme in Australian English. How else do people pronounce drought?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>