NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Words of wisdom for first-timers?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honco Mynco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 3:38pm
Thanks all - I appreciate your wisdom and I think Trond24 nailed it on the head with 'cardinal gotchas', that's exactly the type of thing I am seeking to avoid! I've got lots of great advice here which I fully intend to follow.

To the person who asked about my avatar, it's pretty straightforward, I'm Welsh (so is my username) and I've just moved to South America for a couple of years.

Edited by Honco Mynco - 27 Jan 2018 at 3:39pm
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
Sponsored Links

JuliKobayashi View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JuliKobayashi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 6:02pm
Hi there and welcome!

My advice would be to incorporate the prompts into a story that excites you and into a character you connect with emotionally, and don't overthink things after that. I did this challenge for the first time back in January 2016, and placed first in my heat.  (My prompts then were really hard for me - and so I chose a main character I knew I could relate to and built in the prompts around her character arc and it somehow worked out.) I've had varied success since then - my point being that you should have no problems as a newbie to this challenge!

I'd say as long as you don't stray too far from the basics - make sure you're writing within the assigned genre and the other prompts are featured in your story per the instructions - but the most important thing is to tell the best story you can and the judges respond to that well. That probably seems obvious, but per my experience I don't think there's anything specific you need to know about this particular competition to do well.

I've actually never used beta readers due to my procrastination and writing until the final minutes before the deadline, but I highly recommend posting your story after you submit and participating in swapping feedback with the other folks in this forum. It's the most rewarding part of doing this competition, it's an incredible community and place to grow as a writer!

Best of luck to you!!

Juli

SC18 R2 The Line
R1: The Mask 1st
SC17 R3
Katerstomaters View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katerstomaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 7:12pm
This thread is REALLY helpful, everyone! Thanks!

Perhaps I missed it, but how does one find Beta writers on here? (not that I'm there yet, AT ALL...just trying to get ahead of it).

Thanks in advance!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic