NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Words containing the assigned word

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodpijn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Words containing the assigned word
    Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 7:05am
The FAQ on the website for the 250-word challenge says 
"The assigned word must be included in the story exactly how it is spelled, but it may be capitalized in any way the Entrant chooses and it may be part of a longer word.  For example, if the assigned word is “courage”, then using the word “courageous” would be acceptable because it contains the exact spelling of the assigned word."

As stated, that allows the use of longer words that coincidentally contain the assigned word, like "lifelong" if you were assigned "felon", or "syncopation" if you were assigned "patio". So I'd like to clarify: is that intended to be legal within the rules, or does it also have to be a word that's grammatically related to the assigned word?

Edited by woodpijn - 24 Sep 2019 at 7:07am
Jhill View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 9:07am
Wow, good question! I'm eager to hear the answer to this! (Though I'm not clever enough to find a way to hide the required word within an unrelated word.)
GR 24
You Are Forgiven Drama
tea&sympathy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tea&sympathy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2019 at 12:09pm
I had the same question! I can't wait to see what the answer is, "officially speaking".
~that first lovely hint of flavor rising from the warming leaves, just part of the art of tea
NYC Midnight View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NYC Midnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2019 at 1:23pm
Sorry for the delay responding and excellent question!  Yes, as long as the assigned word is included in your story continuously (no spaces between) and exactly how it is spelled, then you may include in a longer word similar to your example of "felon" being used in "lifelong".  We will update the FAQ and rules as well to further clarify.  Please let us know if you have any other questions or need anything else.  Thanks and good luck!
Next up is the 250-word Microfiction Challenge 2020 kicking off Nov. 20th
MrLipto View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrLipto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2019 at 1:49pm
Is there any expectation that we format the assigned word in bold for the sake of the judges?

I’d hate for an Entrant to be disqualified because their word was too cleverly nestled within a longer word.
Charlie272 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2019 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by MrLipto MrLipto wrote:

Is there any expectation that we format the assigned word in bold for the sake of the judges?

I’d hate for an Entrant to be disqualified because their word was too cleverly nestled within a longer word.

I think we’re going to be submitting in plain text into a submission form (rather than attaching documents) so I don’t think bolding is an option... but I imagine there will be a find process available to the judges (or some other official entity) to verify we’ve included our words.  Getting official word would be good, but absent that, I wouldn’t worry too much about it.
NYC Midnight View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NYC Midnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 11:27am
The submission form will be plain text, so there will not be an option to highlight or bold the assigned word.  But, as with every competition, if a judge flags an entry for a rule break it will be double checked by the competition director before disqualifying.  In the case of the assigned word, as long as the word is found in a document search, then it will not be disqualified. Please let us know if you have any other questions or need anything else.  Good luck!
Next up is the 250-word Microfiction Challenge 2020 kicking off Nov. 20th
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic