NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Word Counts on your Micro 250 Drafts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmeccles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 8:57am
I had used ellipses in a conversation to indicate the speaker trailed off and Word counted each dot as a word. When I changed this to a dash I got my words back.
BobCJr View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobCJr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 9:04am
I had 316 words in my first draft (though I also forgot my required word, so really 317 words as someone pointed out). I had 2 characters and it was in the third person. I rewrote it with one character in the first person and it came out at 249 words. Completely different tone, but it worked out okay.
Would like to be mysterious, but is instead, at best, slightly ambiguous.

R1 250 "Night Fishing" Ghost Story
chrissie0707 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 9:49am
I've gotten into a habit of editing as I go to keep it manageable. For flash, I try to never go above 1200 in any draft. For this, I was pleasantly surprised that after typing up the notes I scribbled, I had 267 words. Got it down to 250, then 248 after betas. Subbed 248. 
ashleythunt View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashleythunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 2:27pm
I started with 336 and finished with 249! I'm normally middle or lower end of word count requirements, so this was definitely a challenge for me!
JoService View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoService Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 3:13pm
Yeah my 1st story was 275 and I couldn’t even fit the scene I wanted, so it wasn’t really funny just slightly humorous. The next story came out a few words over, it was easy to edit down. My 3rd attempt was basically one joke and not great, so the 2nd story won. I actually liked that one.

I haven’t seen anyone else in group 100 yet.
terrilynn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrilynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 3:44pm
I wavered between 244 and 267, but I did a lot of cutting along the way. 

Phrases like, "He commanded a submarine in the Navy" became (as it should) "He commanded a Navy submarine." 

Or "The eyes that raked over me, taking in my fiery mane, barely-there cocktail dress, and stilettos, were jade green," became (as it should) "Jade green eyes raked over my fiery mane and barely-there cocktail dress."

I LOVE that part of editing micro-fiction. 
MDashell View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDashell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 4:02pm
My longest draft was 353, but it wasn't finished. I kind of write to the point where I know it will be impossible to cut down if I write anymore, cut a bunch out, write more towards finishing it, cut a bunch out again, etc. I spent probably half an hour getting those last 30 words out!
Googan View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Googan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 6:40pm
I'm a Neanderthal and always write first draft with pen and paper.  That came out as 346, so as I typed, I was able to edit down to 265.  There was an entire paragraph then that was superfluous, so got down to bang on 250 easily enough after that.  
Please take the time to review my 1st Round Short Story Ulterior Design
CappyCat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CappyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 6:41pm
This will sound cheeky but I'm always pretty spot on with my flash-fic word counts upon the first go. I try stick to the point as much as possible until the story is outlined, then I count what I have before I even think about adding any extra details or decorating my sentences with more interesting language - aka leave out all adjectives till the very end!!!

My first count was 158words so I was thrilled that I had so much more room to play with and could add some extra backstory and elaborate on the ending. My second draft had me at exactly 250words (magic!)

My only advice (to others who write out their first drafts by hand and not typed up) is to practise writing in paragraphs and to know your usual word count per paragraph (mine is usually around 50words) so when you are writing a first draft you more or less know where you at after each one and you can pace yourself and your ideas - also good to only allow yourself one paragraph for beginning, middle and end of the story (the bones of the narrative) and then you have room to play with and add in the juicy bits :P
jcpaulson View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcpaulson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 7:47pm
My first draft was 35 words, but I started with dialogue and then added in description. Final draft came to 138 and I'm happy with it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>