NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Word Counts on your Micro 250 Drafts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kristina_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Word Counts on your Micro 250 Drafts
    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 2:52am
I'm curious what it was like for others dealing with the word count limit. Normally, I go way over word limits, then scramble to claw back. I think I saw at least one person comment that their first draft was 1000 words. I don't know if that was hyperbole or not, but if anyone successfully edited down from there, you are a rockstar.

I tried a different approach this time which worked out well.
  • First draft was 248.
  • Over my various edits and drafts, highest word count was 255, and lowest was 246.
  • On the last draft I spent half an hour or more searching for two words to remove so that two more could be added.
  • Finished with 250 on the dot.
SallyJhyphenP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SallyJhyphenP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 3:02am
My first draft was nearly 300 and after edits and a change in my story telling method my final submission was 248.
kristina_f View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristina_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 3:40am
Fifty words is a fair amount, but hopefully not so much that you had to remove anything too important.

Between drafts I replaced several sentences entirely as well as a handful of words. They felt so essential until they were gone, and then I realized that they had huge added value for me as the writer, but probably minimal value for the majority of readers. In some cases the removals were a flat out improvement.
theinquisitor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theinquisitor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 4:43am
I tend to edit as I go. My word count was never more than 260, but I cut quite a few sentences on the way. 
dpape276 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpape276 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 6:32am
I think my first edit was dead on 250, after a few minor changes it hit around 249.

Thankfully, the majority of my micro is conversational, so it didn't require a great deal of editing in post.

Edited by dpape276 - 22 Nov 2020 at 6:34am
Tall, Dark & Gruesome

250 Micro (2020) - R1 G73: Casualty of War
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 6:35am
I used to over write in all the contests and then take a hammer and chainsaw to them.
That was not as much fun as you might think.
Now I aim for the bare min and then ad as needed. I only went over 4 words a couple of edits.
EdYo View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdYo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 6:49am
I target approx. 80% in these types of competition and then build up from there. So, in this case I targeted 200 and eventually achieved 249. I was unsure on whether 'ne'er-do-well' would be classed as one word or three words, so cut out two words to be on the safe side. Other than that I never went beyond 250

I hate butchering a story I've written and find it's much easier on the my delicate writing soul to add rather than slash!

SallyJhyphenP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SallyJhyphenP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 6:55am
Originally posted by EdYo EdYo wrote:

I target approx. 80% in these types of competition and then build up from there. So, in this case I targeted 200 and eventually achieved 249. I was unsure on whether 'ne'er-do-well' would be classed as one word or three words, so cut out two words to be on the safe side. Other than that I never went beyond 250

I hate butchering a story I've written and find it's much easier on the my delicate writing soul to add rather than slash!

I just write down everything that's in my head and go from there
Lowens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lowens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 8:24am
The weird problem I ran into was a discrepancy in word count between Google docs and Microsoft Word. I write in docs on my phone then download as a word document on my laptop. Docs consistently counts three words less than Word. I highlighted one hyphenated string "one-by-one" thinking that may be the difference but both called that one word. 

I know you are thinking "Why didn't you just physically count the words?" Too hard. Kind of like walking over to the TV to change the channel! LOL

Anyway, I knew Submittable wouldn't accept the post if it was more than 250 but to be safe, I went with Word's higher number and ended with 250 on the nose.
SkylerAutumn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkylerAutumn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 8:50am
Only 166 words I'm really happy with my story... I know it seems weird but I didn't need to use all my words for this particular story or it would just read like filler. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic