NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Winning synopsis?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 4:20pm
NYCM started with film contests.  The logline is traditional/standard for a movie. They extended it here for - some unspecified reason.  Annoying, unnecessary - and a great way to determine whether you know what story you are trying to tell. Once you have written your synopsis - use it as a mission statement.  Go back and read your story, and ensure that each paragraph in some way furthers the mission. When you are struggling to cut to word count, it's a great decision-making tool.
I'm not in this round,
but you can find m'love's story Here
Sponsored Links

kodanie1 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kodanie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 5:06pm
For the last challenge, one of the judges did critique my synopsis. They said something about the second sentence not working for whatever reason, and then left no real feedback that was helpful. I'm not sure how much the synopsis influenced the points I earned (I received 11 points for the story), but it does seem to be something taken into consideration.
Challenge 3:
https://forums.nycmidnight.com/topic16409_post199805.html#199805
Nicky Mc View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicky Mc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 6:04pm
Fun fact: the terminology is different in Australia. We would call a short teaser the tagline.

A synopsis (according to the Queensland Writers Centre) is a longer summary which introduces character and conflict AND explains how the conflict is resolved.

I didn't realise this for my first NYC flash fiction so my synopsis was a ridiculously long and pedantic two sentence summary of the whole story.

Ch3 Oh Crap

nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by nixie nixie wrote:

NYCM started with film contests.  The logline is traditional/standard for a movie. They extended it here for - some unspecified reason.  Annoying, unnecessary - and a great way to determine whether you know what story you are trying to tell. Once you have written your synopsis - use it as a mission statement.  Go back and read your story, and ensure that each paragraph in some way furthers the mission. When you are struggling to cut to word count, it's a great decision-making tool.

I'm overwhelmingly terrible at the log line. (Titles too) However, I love the analogy of a mission statement. Brilliant.
Alonzo Mosley View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonzo Mosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 12:24am
I, on the other hand, write the synopsis while submitting...

And I hope to holy heck it's not judged, for reasons I won't divulge until after judging is complete.
Monsieur Renard View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monsieur Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 7:21am
I too have always written the synopsis while submitting. Will be changing that approach now!
*Flash Fiction*
CH3: Friction.

*Short Screenplay*
CH1: Helpless.
MegOverman View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote MegOverman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 8:11am
I am the worst at taglines. But maybe that helps? Maybe the judge is like "Uffff, here's one that'll be boring AF." And then the judge reads and is like "Hm. Exceeded the expectations that total crap logline set up. Points!"

Yeah. That is my dream. >.>
Have a glass of wine and take it like a writer.

FFC - R3 / SScC - R1
Zblugg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zblugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 8:18am
Here is a good example of a sucky tagline. Incidentally, it's the one I submitted:

In the Long Whiteness

Nikita Kozlov’s orders are simple, just like the days he spends at the radio tower. When an unknown enemy threatens his mission, he has no choice but to prepare for the ultimate sacrifice.

Now, one good way to present it, so that it doesn't sound like a B-movie, would be like this:

In the Long Whiteness

Snowshoeing and figure skating are integral part of Nikita Kozlov's daily routine. Then again, so is the willingness to kill.

I am actually banging my head for not having taken more time to design a cool, punchy synopsis.

(Errrr... does that count as a "spoiler"? Am I allowed to do that?)
Jhill View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by Zblugg Zblugg wrote:

Here is a good example of a sucky tagline. Incidentally, it's the one I submitted:

In the Long Whiteness

Nikita Kozlov’s orders are simple, just like the days he spends at the radio tower. When an unknown enemy threatens his mission, he has no choice but to prepare for the ultimate sacrifice.

Now, one good way to present it, so that it doesn't sound like a B-movie, would be like this:

In the Long Whiteness

Snowshoeing and figure skating are integral part of Nikita Kozlov's daily routine. Then again, so is the willingness to kill.

I am actually banging my head for not having taken more time to design a cool, punchy synopsis.

(Errrr... does that count as a "spoiler"? Am I allowed to do that?)

Ooh, the second one is awesome! 

I think I need to take a class on writing titles/synopses (ies? ises?). Mine always suck. I like Nixie's advice (above). Maybe I'll put some effort into improving this before the short story challenge.
CH3 GR3 Too Comfortable (Suspense)
HeatherHaze View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HeatherHaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 4:08pm
At 11:30PM Sunday night, my story was done but I still didn't have a title or synopsis. I couldn't find anything in my story that really jumped out at me, which sent up a warning flag. I realized my story needed...something. I came up with a simple little metaphor that perfectly captured the essence of the story. I finished the revisions at about 11:50PM, with brand new title and synopsis, and submitted a much stronger story at 11:57PM. It's amazing how two little sentences can make such a difference.
)-|-( Heather Haze
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic