NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Winners in the silent majority?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winners in the silent majority?
    Posted: 03 Aug 2006 at 8:18pm
For those of you veterans who were in this contest previously: is there anything you can say about the proportion of scripts that don't get posted to the review forum that turn out to be heat winners? For instance, when the heat winners were announced, were 2/3 of them scripts that you hadn't heard anything about?

Since it looks like there are around 70 that are posted, and around 250 that aren't. Not to suggest a sweeping generalization, but just wondering if anybody had a sense of that.
Andrew

Sponsored Links

Rainy Night View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainy Night Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2006 at 8:39pm
It was frustrating for me last year as the script that won my heat was never posted.  I wanted  to know what set it apart from mine.  Also I only recall seeing a few of the scripts from the final round.  Very frustrating.
ajracer View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2006 at 9:49pm
Sure, I can imagine that would be extremely frustrating. I guess we have to be prepared for that awful sense of not knowing. What makes this forum so great is that opportunity to see others' work and learn from it, see the kinds of decisions other writers made under the same circumstances. It's a shame there's not a higher level of participation in the script review.
Andrew

Ashes, Heat 8
Willie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2006 at 2:57am
I think NYC should post the winners, if they are not posted by the individuals themselves.

NYC is doing a great job with the bootcamp session and peer review, so why not see the how and why of each choice.

richke View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2006 at 3:06am
i would be shocked if they didnt post at least the heat winners...i want to know what out did my story...well besides my own faults.
Heat #18 - The Darkness Within   
http://www.richardthomaskeel.com/media/18_TheDarknessWithin.pdf
Hairy Lime View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hairy Lime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2006 at 3:26am
I'd imagine it's a pretty even split as far as proportion of winners from those who are active on the forums and those who are not. Last year Chris and I both advanced and I think maybe one or two other forum members did as well, but I don't remember their usernames. Also, last year we shared scripts by emailing them or posting our own links rather than with an established forum dedicated to that purpose so far fewer scripts were actually shared. I think NYC Midnight's mention of the forums in the confirmation email probably brought out a lot more contestants this year.
SavageG View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SavageG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2006 at 3:55am

As far as I remember at least 75% of the scripts that won last year were never posted in the forums. I guess people get paranoid. I do think the winners should be posted, but according to the rules this year they will only post the log lines.

It's a shame, but I guess they don't want to discourage writers who worry that there work will be stolen.
Not all who wander are lost, not all who wonder without wisdom.
Chris Messineo View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Messineo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2006 at 4:25am

This year about 60 scripts have been shared online so far.  Last year it was probably more like 30.  As I recall, of those I think 4 were heat winners.  In my first round heat last year, no one from my heat except for me even shared their script online.  In the final round, of the top 5, I believe only 2 were shared.

I don't think you can force people to have their scripts online just because they won.  Hopefully though, we will continue to create an environment here where they will want to share their scripts with us.

Chris
Jerry View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2006 at 4:52am
It would be cool reading everyone's script to be sure, but to be honest, as much as I would love to move on to the second round (duh) my experience on the forums have become so positive that I would consider this worthwhile no matter what happens (and I mean reading people's scripts as well as getting feedback for my own--the quality of scripts has been so high that it's been a crash course in screenwriting for me).  That said, I really think it's a shame that everyone doesn't post their screenplay, because everyone benefits.  But I can totally understand writers being shy about their own work, so to each their own.

Jerry

trike View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2006 at 5:46am
I'm with Jerry -- I've not only received some really good suggestions, I've also seen some really good ones for other people.

Cost for entering: $45.  Emotional cost: nerve wracking.  Getting feedback: priceless.

Doug
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic