NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why do you respond (or not) to feedback?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote groza528 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why do you respond (or not) to feedback?
    Posted: 13 May 2023 at 9:16pm
Technically this is a question, but it's an opinion question so I didn't think Q&A was the right place for it.

So I don't think I'm going out on too much of a limb when I say the number one reason people post their entries on the forums is so others will read them and, if the mood strikes, comment on what they thought. Let's lump these comments into three categories for simplicity, with the understanding that many times responses will span multiple categories.

A) I really like this story! (may or may not explain why)
B) I have some suggestions.
C) I have questions about what you meant when you wrote [X].

This thread isn't really about these three types of comments so much as it is about how you reply, if at all, to these comments. Do you stay silent and let the piece stand on its own? Do you try to reply to every comment as they come in? Do you wait until there are 5 or 6 comments and then reply? Do you only address type C comments?
And more importantly, WHY did you make that choice?

Respectfully, I'm not looking for anyone to say "It's the writer's decision." Of course it's the writer's decision. That's not the question on the table. I just want to learn more about the thought processes of others when they face various types of feedback.

I'll start us off... I started out with the "Respond to a few comments at once" technique. A lot of this was driven by trying to get reads... certainly I was providing feedback to others, but I also figured that if I replied to my own thread every once in a while it would keep me in the first few pages. But I also worried it might look a bit fanatical if I replied too often. On my most recent entry I've been trying not to reply at all. The type C comments are hardest to leave unanswered, but I'm trying to embrace the ambiguity. Not every question has an answer, and not every answer is satisfying, so maybe it's more powerful to let the question linger sometimes.

What about the rest of you?

Edited by groza528 - 13 May 2023 at 9:17pm
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 10:16pm
I used to reply as they came in, but the past few years I mostly wait till there are a few to answer.
I too wanted to stay near the beginning of the topic thread, not so keen on that anymore.
I enjoy answering any question posed. I like to think the readers get a little more outa the story
when I have addressed their reply.
cford View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 11:14pm
Interesting question, and I think my replies are probably not for a consistent reason each time but some reasons why I do reply:

To answer questions, especially those that are genuinely curious about delving deeper into the story for further background or understanding. 

To thank Beta's who not only helped shaped the story but then stopped by to check out the final product.

To acknowledge great advice or suggestions, those particularly helpful critiques.

And just to reply to any comments that particularly resonated with me.

I appreciate every single person that takes the time to read my work and will make my way through reading theirs in return - so those that I don't respond to on my thread will get comments on their own from me.  
Lulumacmac View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lulumacmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2023 at 5:04am
I do try to reply as they come in, not in a fanatical way or to draw more attention to my story - I really am not bothered about that, but rather because I just fully appreciate someone coming by and taking the time to read my story and leave feedback. Plus it has been a good learning curve for me on my path to becoming some sort of writer to be able to respond to the good and the bad responses to my story with the same feeling of gratefulness! I am still working on achieving this but getting there slowly.

If I have been busy and not on the forum as much, then will more likely respond to multiple comments in one post, but I will still respond, and also answer any questions - I like that my writing, whether it is liked or not, has triggered a conversation and equally I like sparking a conversation with other writers on the forum about how their story made me feel, or questions raised from it. 

It very much depends when the competition falls and the amount of time I have. December for example I barely had any time to respond to forum stuff or even return reads, although I did eventually - in January sometime! 

I will return overdue reads (so sorry!) I promise but I just need to take a break from NYCM for a bit. I will be back! Big love.
tbeeton View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tbeeton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2023 at 12:55pm
Perhaps because MF100 is only my second NYCM contest, I do reply to each comment. And I don't understand why that would be viewed as fanatical. 

Seems to me it has only upside: it respects my fellow forum mates, acknowledges their comments but is also provides an opportunity to comment back on their story, it gives me a chance to address questions that they raise but I may not have thought of -- writing out responses helps me clarify my thoughts -- and, sure, has the added benefit of upping me in the forum. 

But honestly I think commenting on others' stories does way more to drive reads than being prominently featured in the forum. Which brings up another question about when a story you read rises to the level of commenting on it. I've read way more stories than I've commented on. Stories I really connect with, I love commenting because I have so many thoughts. Stories that leave me cold or that I find problematic I usually just leave without comment. And when a story has a really specific issue that I think the writer would benefit from hearing, I'm getting better at tactfully addressing head on, which I think people respect. 

Anyway, thanks for initiating the conversation.
catnamedeaster View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catnamedeaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2023 at 6:29pm
I find if I don't really care about my story, I don't mind talking about it and generally will respond more to feedback, and if I really like my story, I don't really want to talk about it and won't respond at all. I don't know if that makes any sense, but I think the more meaningful the story is to me, the less I want to defend it or explain it.

That being said, sometimes I'm not nuts about my story and still just don't want to talk about it.

I will extend my appreciation for those who left feedback on mine by returning the read and thanking them in my return feedback.

Edited by catnamedeaster - 14 May 2023 at 6:39pm
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2023 at 7:43pm
Interesting question!

I typically don’t reply to feedback. I appreciate all thoughts left by readers. They are all really meaningful to me, even if the thoughts/suggestions surprised me or if I do not agree with them. 

I’m not here to justify my choices as an author. I’m 100% here to hear how different readers experienced my story. 

Occasionally I will respond to a direct question, but for the most part I listen quietly and then spend my forum time returning reads and critique. 

wisemel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wisemel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2023 at 8:12pm
I started off replying to all comments (usually a few at a time), but now I mostly reply every so often with a general thanks and reply directly when there's a question. 

I may be wrong in this, but I don't think most people turn on updates for every thread they comment on, so I figure most people aren't seeing my replies anyway. I know I don't go back to look for responses to feedback I leave unless I've asked a direct question.

I do return all reads (running a bit late these last two rounds, but will get to them) so I often give a quick thank you in those return posts.

I do find it hard not to reply to folks or acknowledge them in some way. I always hit the thanks, and hope people realize how much I appreciate the time taken to comment. If there were threaded replies, I'd probably reply directly to each comment.

iress View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote iress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2023 at 9:57pm
I like chatting about writing and desire community so I often respond, but can’t always. I think I wish I could be in person, sitting in a bunch of old chairs at the back of a coffee shop with my fellow writers, our manuscripts in hand, only getting up to freshen our coffee, but sharing our ideas. So responding is about as close as I’ll get to that here, lol. I just like the interaction and it keeps me thinking about writing   

However, it doesn’t bother me a bit if someone doesn’t respond to me. We all have our own situations and goals. But if they do respond, I enjoy seeing how my comment made sense (helps me learn how to be more effective at feedback) or if I asked a question I’m genuinely curious about the answer.

Interesting question!

Edited by iress - 14 May 2023 at 9:58pm
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by wisemel wisemel wrote:

I do return all reads (running a bit late these last two rounds, but will get to them) so I often give a quick thank you in those return posts.

I do this too - usually when I do a return read I always start off with some version "Thanks for stopping by my story, here to return the favor." I also always hit the "thanks" button on my thread. I hope, by doing both, I've acknowledged that I've seen their comments and appreciate them! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>