NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why didn’t you just quit?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EMG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by DukeREK DukeREK wrote:

Are my stories any good - not really - at best they are unpolished first drafts submitted to a crazy deadline. But the exercise of broadening my mind is invaluable.

So I write. I submit. I roll my eyes. I grow.

High five.  Yes.  Well put.
BuryBadBooks View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BuryBadBooks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 8:00pm
KelsNotChels, I just read both your stories and I am just blown away by them. I checked out your first story and I thought maybe I was the odd man out, since you only got 4 points, but nope! Your comment section is filled with positive feedbacks and you even had some early beta readers get their eyes on it before you submitted. 

So what the HECK did the judges give you for feedback if I may ask? I'm just over here scratching my head because both stories feel like 15 pointers to me. How curious... 
You read mine, I read yours. FFC #2: Jar of Hearts
KelsNotChels View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KelsNotChels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by BuryBadBooks BuryBadBooks wrote:

KelsNotChels, I just read both your stories and I am just blown away by them. I checked out your first story and I thought maybe I was the odd man out, since you only got 4 points, but nope! Your comment section is filled with positive feedbacks and you even had some early beta readers get their eyes on it before you submitted. 

So what the HECK did the judges give you for feedback if I may ask? I'm just over here scratching my head because both stories feel like 15 pointers to me. How curious... 

This is a very kind comment. Thank you. ♥️

My feedback is in the feedback thread, actually. I’ll link it if I can. 
Cham View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 9:50pm
Love this thread:)

I nearly quit CH1 because it was my first competition ever and I got Pol/Sat.  My brain just does not work that way. I panicked, nearly cried, but then I thought of how embarrassing it would be to tell my daughters that I threw the towel in before I even walked through the door; this after years of telling them to ‘just try’,  ‘do your best’ and ‘it’s not all about winning’ at school, sport,  life.  My son would not have cared one way or the other (ha ha, truly) but the girls would have taken note! To actually get a score then threw me for a loop. Yes, the validation felt like a confidence boost but then there’s also the feeling that if I get zero next time I’ll care more than I want to. At the end of the day though it’s really all about doing something different, reconnecting with that young girl who once studied English at college and keeping myself busy during this ongoing isolation.

Edited by Cham - 03 Sep 2020 at 9:59pm
KelsNotChels View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KelsNotChels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by BuryBadBooks BuryBadBooks wrote:

Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 2:05am
I have not wrote a story once, years ago. I was traveling, holidays, and I got spy, which I hate and have had 4 times, lol. I was not going to waste my traveling time on a genre that I hated, and I did not have an idea.
Even though I did ditch that one time, I paid I am writing, haha.
theinquisitor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theinquisitor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 5:33am
Because I've wanted to write fiction for most of my 43 years, and I write non-fiction for a living, but when it comes to stories all I've got to show for it is a couple of first chapters and a bunch of half-finished shorts. I'm a world-class procrastinator, but if I couldn't finish when I had a deadline and I'd paid for the privilege, it was time to stop deluding myself that I would ever be paid to write fiction. And it turns out I'm not ready to give up on that just yet.
Cat Logan View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cat Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 11:40am
I didn't quit, but the set-up with telling people they have zero points after the 1st round sort of cuts the drive and excitement for me. 

The feedback from the judges and other authors is very great to have. It's a wonderful forum, I'm too busy to reciprocate in (so I won't post mine anymore) but I can see it's a great community - like ABNA was.

But IMO the contest and the excitement of possibly moving on is such a major uplifting undercurrent during the contest, especially during this crazy time, that they shouldn't tell you your points until the end of the 2 rounds. Just IMO, ymmv....

Luckily there's always another contest around the corner :)
Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Nimhathuna View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nimhathuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by Cat Logan Cat Logan wrote:

I didn't quit, but the set-up with telling people they have zero points after the 1st round sort of cuts the drive and excitement for me. ...
The feedback from the judges and other authors is very great to have. It's a wonderful forumBNA was.
But IMO the contest and the excitement of possibly moving on is such a major uplifting undercurrent during the contest, especially during this crazy time, that they shouldn't tell you your points until the end of the 2 rounds. Just IMO, ymmv....

I agree. My drive and excitement circled the drain after the first challenge. We all think our writing is good. The feedback from the other writers on this forum is a plus. Yes, results after the second challenge would have been better. Then again, hindsight is always better. I'd be lying if I didn't say I was gutted with zero points for the first challenge. It cut to the quick. However, à chacun son gout. We all have different tastes.

Nim. 

boiled_potato View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boiled_potato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 12:51am
I'm honestly just glad there are so many people who have decided that they should get something out, if not for themselves, just for the review and critique. 

I wasn't expecting anything in my first challenge results. I did get some feedback and that's all I expected out of my first time participating anywhere. And that was just the drive for the second entry. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic