NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why didn’t you just quit?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

Originally posted by chrissie0707 chrissie0707 wrote:

Thank Chuck I had some breakthrough revelations...

OMG, dying. #Iseewhatyoudidthere

Wink
FFC #1: Beneath the Surface 6pts
FFC #2: Protocol Twenty-Seven
EMG View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 3:06pm
I didn't quit although I was on vacation and then driving home for hours and unpacking and dealing with cranky kids and sunburn and I wasn't sure what was suspense vs mystery vs horror vs drama and hated that I had to fit pepperoni in somewhere ... I didn't quit because I needed big points to move on (the competitive side of me), and because according to Steven Pressfield's The War of Art, all of that other stuff is Resistence.  If resistance is all the stuff I could use an as excuse not to write I choose not to give in to it.  Because I have to write if I'm a writer.  So I wrote 128 words before breakfast at the lake on Saturday and I wrote the rest after supper dishes on Sunday and then submitted from the bath tub at 11 something.  As a midwife I'm often fitting my writing in around the zillion other things happening, good practice for these types of contests. My dream is a cottage in Iceland just me and my computer and a hotsprings for months at a time...
chrissie0707 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by EMG EMG wrote:

and because according to Steven Pressfield's The War of Art, all of that other stuff is Resistence.  If resistance is all the stuff I could use an as excuse not to write I choose not to give in to it.  Because I have to write if I'm a writer.

YUSSSSSSSSS. Love The War of Art. I reread it every time I need a kick in the butt. Never need to go further than the first few chapters to put it down and start writing again. 
FFC #1: Beneath the Surface 6pts
FFC #2: Protocol Twenty-Seven
Nimhathuna View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nimhathuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Alex Grey Alex Grey wrote:

Whenever you feel downhearted about only getting one or two points just remember that zero is also available!
I got zero for my Ch. 1 story which made me cross, not the points so much as I though it deserved better feedback (one judge took against the story very badly) so I was in a state of crossness the whole weekend. 

Yes, I was cross for about two seconds flat after getting a NO SCORE (Zero). I'm midway through a Ph.D., reading Finnegans Wake (again), home-schooling, and proofreading, and I strongly considered not only throwing in the towel, but a whole laundry basket full of them. Then common sense prevailed, and I realised that you can't please all the people all the time. I brushed it off and submitted for the second round. Like many posters here, the critical, constructive feedback from members of the forum acts as a salve for my creative wounds.

Nim. 

Edited by Nimhathuna - 03 Sep 2020 at 3:50pm
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 4:38pm
I had a lot going on--guests staying at the house all weekend, my youngest son moving back to NYC, a proofreading deal for a book that landed in my inbox--and just didn't have a single micron of bandwidth left.

Life happens.
FF2020 R1G38 Romance | Tunnel | Wrapping Paper | Paper Cuts
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 4:57pm
I paid $45 to do this. Just hating my prompts is not a good reason to quit, bubble score or not (I have to do fairly well to move on--I can afford a 9 or 10, can't afford a zero.) I managed to crank out something last year despite being literally on vacation and getting home from a cruise, so no excuses, uninspired as I've felt both rounds now.
FFC 2020 Ch 1 Gr 21: Cellared
Ch2 Gr 21: The Spy Who Came in For The Cake
nikolaki View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikolaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 5:19pm
For me - the zero stung at first but then I remembered that I didn’t actually expect to place as it was my first time submitting anything anywhere ever. I loved my idea though (and actually ended up getting a second one that I could see having longer legs since I feel like I jumped at the end) and realized that even learning how to write in just 1K words is worth it. 

Plus - my beta readers and people who read on here are so helpful that you get more out of that. I really enjoyed reviewing and having my piece reviewed and I knew I couldn’t do that in earnest if I didn’t even submit a second prompt. 

So now I figure I get all of those perks plus a new concept to plot out further if I ever wanted to take anything more seriously and continue writing outside of quarantine life like I always said I would try. 

Even if I’m terrible, it’s a fun hobby I want to get better at, and that’s okay too. 
FF2020 CH1: The Necromancer's Gift (Fant)
FF2020 CH2: The Bridal Party (A/A)

Will return all reads!
Phobos View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phobos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 5:45pm
I don't have the kind of expendable cash to throw $40-50 at something and not do anything about it.
Fear is a powerful motivator. To some, it is a god.
SSC20 C1
FFC19 C2
CathyM View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CathyM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by nikolaki nikolaki wrote:

For me - the zero stung at first but then I remembered that I didn’t actually expect to place as it was my first time submitting anything anywhere ever. I loved my idea though (and actually ended up getting a second one that I could see having longer legs since I feel like I jumped at the end) and realized that even learning how to write in just 1K words is worth it. 

Plus - my beta readers and people who read on here are so helpful that you get more out of that. I really enjoyed reviewing and having my piece reviewed and I knew I couldn’t do that in earnest if I didn’t even submit a second prompt. 

So now I figure I get all of those perks plus a new concept to plot out further if I ever wanted to take anything more seriously and continue writing outside of quarantine life like I always said I would try. 

Even if I’m terrible, it’s a fun hobby I want to get better at, and that’s okay too. 

Welcome to the writing bug! Glad to have company!
FFC Rnd 2 A Gift of Life
DukeREK View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote DukeREK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 6:42pm
Well, I no longer have any expectation of receiving anything useful from the judges - in my experience they only consider closed stories with descriptive/explanatve writing to be a real story - and I try to write open stories that let the reader fill in the detail themselves. Every judging I have received explains where I went wrong and what I can do to fix it (more words, more details, more closure, more, more, more) - while I try to write with less.

So while I could argue that first-year students know more about genre, plot, white space and style - the fact that I continue to submit is on me - not the judges. In all probability I am always going to receive the same quality of judging. And ultimately it's all pretty subjective anyway :)

So I submit because I would never have written a story about a would-be chef finding a trapped soul in a cookbook, or a dim-witted rogue being outsmarted by a horse, or a galactic princess playing with an ancient and forbidden artifact - if it weren't for this competition and its prompts.

Are my stories any good - not really - at best they are unpolished first drafts submitted to a crazy deadline. But the exercise of broadening my mind is invaluable.

So I write. I submit. I roll my eyes. I grow.

Edited by DukeREK - 03 Sep 2020 at 6:53pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic