NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Who are the Screenwriters of the 2014 Challenge?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Who are the Screenwriters of the 2014 Challenge?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JonWriterPhilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who are the Screenwriters of the 2014 Challenge?
    Posted: 12 May 2014 at 3:29pm
Just looking to get to know who is taking part, and where each of us is in our screenwriting careers.

I'm Jon. Philly.
Been writing for about 10 years.
10 Specs, 2 original Pilots, 1 Spec pilot (Law & Order), 5 shorts, 1 novel.

I have one script optioned and in development, and another working it's way towards that. Both are Family oriented films, though my genre of choice is horror. Go figure.

I have a B.A. in Film and an MFA in Screenwriting.

I've worked in the film industry on the production side of things. I much prefer to be behind my keyboard.

IMDB credits here.

This is my third time doing the NYC Midnight, but my first time since 2006-2007-ish?

So........ who are all of you!
Sponsored Links

StephwithanF View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote StephwithanF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2014 at 3:59pm
I am not a professional at all but always wanted to try screenwriting. I read a bunch of books and screenplays but thats all I did for a while.  I saw the short screenplay contest and thought, why not? Seemed like a pretty level playing field (2 days, pigeonholed into genre and what not).  I didn't make it to the next round but I was in the 6th slot so I'm already pleased with my progress.  

I hope there are more newbies like me entering and less professionals so I can sneak my way into the next round : D
JonWriterPhilly View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonWriterPhilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2014 at 7:16pm
Any of you lurkers going to introduce yourselves?  Thumbs Up
Scarlet Screenwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2014 at 7:33pm

I kind of liked the anonymity ... I might be a GOP drag queen running for office on a STONE THE GAYS ticket ...

They seek him here, they seek him there, those damned writers seek him everywhere.
Is he in heaven or is he in hell, that damned elusive Scarlet Screenwriter! (Oh, phuck, that doesn't even rhyme!)
JonWriterPhilly View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonWriterPhilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2014 at 8:06pm
Well, I just figured since the film industry is largely predicated on networking, it may behoove people to know who they're talking to.
michelle568 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michelle568 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2014 at 8:25pm
I'm Michelle, an Open university Student studying for an English LIterature BA with creative writing, and I totally fell in love with screenwriting on my last course.

I have been screenwriting for a year, and have so far written three screenplays (two of which were a part of my course and the one I just wrote for this contest)

I was thrilled to get shortlisted in another big contest, but didn't get beyond the shortlist stage, this year I'm planning on getting through to the quarter final stage at least. I submitted one of my course screenplays, once I edited it for the real world, of course.

I've been writing forever, and was working on novels but never finished editing them as I'm far too particular for my own good. With screenwriting, I love that I can work on just one scene without feeling the need to rewrite the whole thing :)

I live in the UK, have two sons, two dogs...oh, and the husband :)

So far, I am loving this site, loved the thrill of racking my brains for a screenplay idea, writing and editing to a deadline. Not expecting to get through as I think there are soooooo many talented people here, but enjoying myself, and it's the taking part (and learning lots in the process) that counts. 

NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2014 at 8:26pm

A little detective work on the assignments list and you would discover I am Randall Berger from Melbourne, Australia.  Google makes me an open book.  Born near Death Valley and raised in Santa Barbara, California ... migrated to Australia 40-odd years ago.  I work as both a writer and actor, in all mediums, as well as butter my bread teaching professional communications in college. 

As we seem to be trading IMDB links:  http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0074327/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Edited by Scarlet Screenwriter - 16 May 2014 at 6:45pm
They seek him here, they seek him there, those damned writers seek him everywhere.
Is he in heaven or is he in hell, that damned elusive Scarlet Screenwriter! (Oh, phuck, that doesn't even rhyme!)
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2014 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by JonWriterPhilly JonWriterPhilly wrote:

Well, I just figured since the film industry is largely predicated on networking, it may behoove people to know who they're talking to.

And he was I thinking the film industry was largely predicated on backstabbing, bitchiness and bull5hit ... my bad.  

Mate, I work both ends of the lens ... writing and acting.  I do let myself off the leash once and a while.  It's nice of you to ask. 

Do you play http://www.hsx.com?  I don't know that I've ever asked anyone here ... I've been doing it for like 15 years.  My own portfolio and a fund.  Fun.

Edited by Scarlet Screenwriter - 16 May 2014 at 6:48pm
Tniast View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tniast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2014 at 9:48pm
My name is Ricky Guinn currently living in Houston TX. First started screen writing when a friend showed me a link to a contest saying I should try it. Still working on the learning part but I've written two scripts both currently in the rewrite stage. keep telling my self what's the worst that can happen. you don't win .. Hell that happens when you don't even try. My daughter showed me this site and we were suppose to both enter. but she didn't make it in time so I carry on.

Edited by Tniast - 12 May 2014 at 9:50pm
Blunco View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blunco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2014 at 4:46am

Ok. Names Rob Bunker. Live in Watord (outer London, UK). I swear/cuss a lot.

I've been a film fan since I was a kid. Growing up, music was my 1st love and have provided vocals for many a rap song. I'm still a Hip Hop head, but age has caught up with me, so when I was made redundant from my previous job I decided to take the money and further my education. In January of 2011 I attended the London Film Academy where everything about film making smacked me round the back of the head and said "What the f**k have you been doing all your life? You should have been doing this! Idiot".. My 1st screenplay(a short called 'Mistaken') was chosen to made into a short film, which my now wife was chosen to direct. I was chosen to direct another short 'Broomstick Waltz'.

Since then, I've been a part of starting an independent film production company (Nothing Box Films). We've made corporate and music videos. My 3rd screenplay (30 pages called 'Howard') is in post production and waiting to see the 2nd cut. I also directed. So, yeah, that's what I wanna do. Write and direct.

This is my 2nd competition with NYCMidnight after the 48 hour challenge. I missed out on getting through to the finals on a technicality. I also thought my entry 'Clipped Wings' was better than what it scored and seemed from the feedback that the judges didn't understand what I was trying to do, even though other writers in the competition did. Just goes to show that it's luck of the draw when it comes to judges.
This 1st round entry will be my 7th screenplay. Anyway, I've learned a lot. Including I need to work on my grammar and punctuation.

I've found out some things about me as a writer. I like to murder/kill people off in my screenplays. So having got 'crime caper' in the 1st round, found it a bit of a struggle not killing anyone violently. I also maybe give too much description....

I'm now looking to find something to inspire me to write a feature screenplay.

Ideally I would like this to be my career, but unfortunately at the moment I have a normal job, like a normal person. Which is sh*t.

My wife(who I met at Film School) and I are now expecting our first child, due early July.

Edited by Blunco - 13 May 2014 at 12:22pm
A Nothing Box Production

R1 G6 Crime Caper/Circus/Apprentice
THE LEGEND OF THE GOLDEN MONKEY
http://forums.nycmidnight.com/r1g6-crime-caper-the-legend-of-the-golden-monkey_topic8037.html
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic