NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

where's the inciting incident?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChristiLB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by Paula Paula wrote:

Funny how all of us came up with different answers.
Having said that, I like your approach. Our day to day is already pretty filled with rules, conventions and commitments that we have to observe. If we can’t be free when we write stories, then when? And it is also fun to play with frames. Make the edges round or tweak them and stretch them like a chewing gum. I’m in...

I've found it interesting as well that we've all come up with different points for the inciting incident. I'm not sure if I feel more or less confused than before but either way I'm loving the discussion it's created. Smile
RD1 H46 Listen
Sponsored Links

JeffreyHowe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeffreyHowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 12:24pm
My 1.4 cents adjusted for inflation:

I tend to align the inciting incident with an external cause, possibly from the antagonist, though not always. It's what knocks the protagonist out of their stable orbit, so to speak. It's a pressure or pinch point, if you want to use Save the Cat type terms, to which the protagonist must respond...and the protagonist's response is the first major turning point of the story, pushing things into Act II. Or part III if you like the seven-part structure.

Think of it this way: a story is a series of "well how about THIS?" situations imposed on the protagonist, each escalating the stakes, each requiring a more dramatic response. The first of these, the one that gets the avalanche going, is the inciting incident.

SC2019:
R1 H43 Tramps
R2 H12 Memories and Eggplant
haole View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 1:06pm
I personally would consider the inciting incident to be when he makes a wish. I would assume that him not being big enough to ride the bike isn't an isolated incident, and is shown to us only as a specific example of why Josh wants to be bigger.

That being said, I don't think any of the answers here are necessarily wrong and they all have good justification.

I think rules and structure are important to know and study, especially when it comes to screenplays, but only because you can't properly break a rule unless you know exactly why it's there.
Screenplay 1st Round: The Survivor
Screenplay 2nd Round: Spirits of the Tonkin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic