NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's your "day job"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 25>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristina_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 8:29pm
I was a commercial photographer for about a decade and a half. I enjoyed photography, but I wouldn't say it was my passion. The commercial aspect of it felt tepid. I ended up in ecommerce, which could have ben fun had the company I was working for not been mismanaged.

A couple of years ago I was recruited into a sort of consulting/ technical writing gig. I've stayed with that working independent contracts over the last couple of years, but I want/ need to switch things up again at some point this year.

Edited by kristina_f - 18 Feb 2021 at 8:36pm
FFC2 GR68: the astronomer
Frefallr View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frefallr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

This topic periodically comes up and I always find it fascinating--there's always quite an array.

I have a Bio-Chemistry degree and manage a Robotics company. I don't know how that happened, but it appeals to my very nerdy soul...

That's cool! Makes sense somehow. Thinking of your epic story on the ocean...
Frefallr View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frefallr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by pennypeaches pennypeaches wrote:

I manage a mushroom substrate and spawn production company. We make our own supplemented growing medium, inoculate it with spawn we've created from tissue samples, incubate for the proper amount of time, then send "blocks" out to customers all over the US and Canada who grow and harvest gourmet mushrooms. 
I hope you find a way to use some details about that in a story.
Frefallr View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frefallr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by timmytimtimothy timmytimtimothy wrote:

I work in PR agencies as a copywriter. Lost my job to Covid the week after the short story comp though (hence my radio silence on here recently), so maybe not that great at it 😛 Been a rough ole Feb! 
I can't believe they hired Covid after all the mess he's made.. (Has to be male, right?) Seriously, sorry to hear about the job loss. Luckily Feb is a short month..
ChanVictoria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChanVictoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 8:36pm
My main day job - I'm a deputy General Manager at a 100 year old cinema!

I also part own a production company, Phoenix Rising Media, and will be directing two shorts with them this year once its safe to do so. I do some work on the side as a 1st AD and on occasion, I'll cam op at conventions! 
Frefallr View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frefallr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 8:38pm

Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

I manage a mushroom substrate and spawn production company. We make our own supplemented growing medium, inoculate it with spawn we've created from tissue samples, incubate for the proper amount of time, then send "blocks" out to customers all over the US and Canada who grow and harvest gourmet mushrooms. 

That is the single most interest thing I've ever heard when someone asks what do you do. 

(And what you're telling me is there is zero chance that, if I order a grow-your-own-mushroom kit, I'd accidentally grow something dangerous?)

Yeah, I will agree, it is really interesting! I came here after working in a doctor's office for 10 years, so it was a major switch for me.

Just look for something like oysters (blue, white, yellow, king), shiitake, or lions mane, and you should be all set! I'm not sure the rules on advertising, but I can shoot you a PM with some suggestions (not me, just for the record, but we work with tons of farms who do the kit thing!).
I love this idea! I'm a huge mushroom fan, oyster, shiitake, hen of the woods (really I'm just showing off here, but I love to cook - and with mushrooms. Would also be interested in a kit thing.
ramblejamble View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblejamble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by benjboyle benjboyle wrote:

Information Systems manager with a background in database and software development. 

Add another one to IT. I'm a programmer. 
Frefallr View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frefallr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by Nimhathuna Nimhathuna wrote:

Unfortunately, I am unemployed. 

I went to University in 2014 as a non-traditional student. I’m still there. Luckily and thankfully, my institution awarded me a scholarship to continue my studies from masters to PhD level, just eighteen months or thereabouts left before my doctorate. I hoped to visit UB as a visiting scholar in 2019-20. I now expect this to happen in 2022 (touch wood).

Would I like a job? Of course, however, times are tough for everyone. I’m glad I have the opportunity and funds to continue my studies. Otherwise, it would not be possible. My youngest son is eighteen tomorrow and I’m tutoring him for his Leaving Cert year because of you know what.

Also, creative writing is a welcome break from the more academic writing. 

Happy birthday to your son. Mine turned 18 on January 28th. So, you will be empty nest. I only have the one.. so, I too will be an empty nest. Interesting time....
Christobelle View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christobelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 8:43pm
I used to be a family lawyer until arthritis knocked me for a six and as it has taken complete hold of me, I'm no longer able to work. 

These days, writing is a way for me to escape; when I'm writing I enter a new world, and can become the character. I'm extremely restricted in what I can do in reality, yet in my stories I can walk again, run, fly even, there are quite literally no boundaries and no limitations. 

Even though I'm not 'published' yet (that's my goal for this year, to have my first book published), I now classify myself as an author. So I guess that's my day job Smile 
Frefallr View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frefallr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by Mother of Chaos Mother of Chaos wrote:

I own and operate a fast-casual restaurant. We do melt-style sandwiches, soup, and mac n cheese. So even though we were officially in lock-down, we've been open and working the whole year. I feel grateful that we are still thriving. 

I want to give a shout-out to all the teachers on here who have had to pivot and teach remotely or in a hybrid form. We still have two home (out of 8!) in high school and it has been pretty rough. So THANK YOU!!
8!!! That explains your name on the forum..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 25>