NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's your "day job"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 25>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McAllister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2021 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by amlewi08 amlewi08 wrote:

I'm a program coordinator at a summer camp!  So work has been quiet, to say the least.  Before this, I was the front-end manager at a children's museum.  AND THEN before that,  I worked in 4-H Youth Development.

So....kids kids kids.  It a calling. haha.  That and environmental education are my schtick.

I used to a Camp Director and I miss that time so much! I was also a teacher once upon a time (had to put that English degree to use). I currently have a small portrait photography business and coach a high school sport.
Mamamimimoomoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mamamimimoomoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 2:58pm
Fourth or fifth "career" for me. The ones I've spent the most time in were a commodities buyer (raw metals) for a Fortune 50 company, then I owned a company that made outdoor clothing that we sold all over the world. Now, I'm a SAHM homeschooling our kids and managing the real estate I bought prior to kids. Not the career path I'd planned but our oldest suffered a brain injury as a baby in a surgery gone wrong and we've never found a school district who could handle the special needs because it's not on easy check mark on an IEP. So, after multiple attempts and fails at brick-and-mortar with #1 kid, we started homeschooling all of them. I wrote a lot before my kids were born but I've been away from writing for a long time. Some of my kids are getting into writing so they encouraged me to start writing again. So, here I am.
KaylaDawn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KaylaDawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 10:55am
Chartered Accountant! Studied on the job straight out of college (UK based so since I was around 19/20) and fully qualified by 25. I work full time for a bank but also work my weekends away on building up my own business. Ideally I want to go fully self employed but I also don’t think I want to work in finance for the rest of my life... my creative side is screaming for me to do something else with my life (creative accounting is illegal ;) ) but alas, the bills need paying somehow!
Meggles View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by thislittlemasochist thislittlemasochist wrote:

Originally posted by Meggles Meggles wrote:

I create social media content for a local restaurant chain. It's fun. I get to take pictures of really good food and write about it. And then eat it. No complaints! 

I also have a (true crime) podcast and wrote a book that came out a few years ago, although neither of those makes a whole lot of money.

I'd love to check out your podcast! And your job sounds very cool.

I'm an editor and reporter at a daily newspaper.

Oops, I totally forgot to check this thread for replies and completely missed this, sorry! 

Editor and reporter for a daily newspaper was my dream job growing up! My little town only had a weekly newspaper. 

The podcast is called Witches, Magic, Murder, & Mystery! 
FF 2021: C1
VaughnieM View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VaughnieM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 3:01pm
I worked in a Prison for 16 years case managing various individuals with offences from Petty theft to Murder and terrorism. For the last year I have worked in housing.
characterswrite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote characterswrite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 4:54pm
I'm a guard that works in a youth forensics unit.
LivStrom View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LivStrom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 12:42pm
Project manager at a large (Swiss) bank. When I'm not feeling inspired I build detailed excels to track writing progress and plotting. So last year I work on the computer all day, make dinner and put the kids to bed, then go back to the same office and computer to write... 
SareKumagai View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SareKumagai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 1:46pm
I'm an environmental health and safety professional.

There is a series of health and safety detective novellas in the back of my head...it's almost like I can hear my protagonist waking up. Her voice is getting louder. 
thelaughingcat View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thelaughingcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 6:38pm
Media relations manager for the digital arm of the National Health Service over here in the UK.  It’s awesome...I get to write geeky stories half the day on our tech and stats, and spend the other half scrambling to stop bad stories about wonky tech or allegedly crooked contracts from getting out. :D. I love it!

So many interesting jobs in this thread!

Edited by thelaughingcat - 06 Apr 2021 at 6:40pm
MFC100 R1 SuspenseThriller The Methodical Man
ellygamgee View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ellygamgee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 4:07pm
Graphic designer for a symphony orchestra :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 25>