NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What the bleep? (Why so many censored words?)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deschain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What the bleep? (Why so many censored words?)
    Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 11:32am
I'm still very new here. I've noticed quite a few stories now where every f**king (Wink) curse word is bleeped out. Is there a reason for this? Do judges mind seeing bad words? When I'm reading a story and I see that my brain first reads it as bleeped, and it momentarily takes me out of the story to remind myself that it isn't.

Put another way, if I write a story where you're watching TV when an anchorman quit his job on-air, then it would make sense to see "...in other news, my f**king boss is a raging b***h, and I quit!" but if you're in the studio when it happens, I'd write that same line without all the ****ing malarkey.

Anyway if I do drop the f-bomb later on I just want to make sure that isn't a ticket to an early round exit.
CamsynClair View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamsynClair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 1:34pm
My R1 story definitely uses “f**k” LOL The forum just automatically censors; your stories don’t have to be censored Smile
Popsicle Crows View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Popsicle Crows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 1:54pm
The judges see your story as your wrote it, no bleeps. 

I never thought about it before but when I see a bleeped word on the forum, my brain just converts it to the real word. I don't even notice them any more.

It's funny that my favourite forum feedback has swearwords in it as part of the feedback! Made me very happy, lol.

Edited by Popsicle Crows - 03 Feb 2023 at 1:57pm
 Post Reply Post Reply