NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

what story genres could work in rhyme?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by CamsynClair CamsynClair wrote:

Originally posted by hungrywriter hungrywriter wrote:

Oh, thank goodness no spy! Although I don't think Mystery would be that bad in rhyme, really; I'd swap it for suspense personally. 
Though I think it might be tricker to match rhymes with a "clearly expressed" emotion and theme in those specific excluded genres.

I actually hope I pull Suspense! Only with the right emotion and theme I should caveat, I suppose. Writing my Suspense/Thriller was one of my favorite (and the good news is that those categories are combined again for Rhyme, so if you don’t like Suspense, you could write a Thriller!). Though, if I pulled Suspense, I’d mess up my streak of a new genre for every story (I’ve gotten a different genre for all 5 NYCM I’ve written so far!), so maybe I shouldn’t hope for a repeat since it would be pretty cool to get through almost every genre (I’d like to pull Comedy never, lol. I already got PolSat in with my very first NYCM ever, so that one’s already checked off the list LOL).

My personal dread (besides Comedy) is HistFic… I don’t know if I could pull of HistFic prose, let alone Rhyming Confused

I am with you on dreading historical fiction - although I think it would be better in this competition than short story or flash.
DianeG View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DianeG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

That was one reason I did not sign up for the guinea pig season. I want to know which genres they're keeping (because if I had to try and write a rhyming political satire I'd probably quit writing.)

I actually think a political satire about either a certain past president or past prime minister (or both!) could work really well in rhyme. 

Edited by DianeG - 23 Sep 2022 at 4:35pm
Diane Gallagher
Read my 1st Round story titled A Good Run
DianeG View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DianeG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by slinkylink slinkylink wrote:

Originally posted by CamsynClair CamsynClair wrote:

If you wanted to still sign-up, they post the possible genres in the rules and regulations! So no PolSat for this one haha. LOL

I hadn't seen that in the rules! Meaning I didn't actually read the rules. But glad to know that Political Satire is out of the mix as rhyming P.S. sounds like a seriously unfun assignment.

So out of the genres on offer I would order them like this, easiest to hardest, based on nothing but my gut instinct which is notoriously off. 

Fairy Tale and/or Fantasy
Comedy
Romantic Comedy
Historical Fiction
Drama
Ghost Story
Horror
Romance
Sci-Fi
Action and/or Adventure
Suspense and/or Thriller

I actually think that ghost story would be relatively easy. Think Poe's The Raven. Anything gothic-y would lend itself to rhyme and meter. 
Diane Gallagher
Read my 1st Round story titled A Good Run
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic