NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What if you get a zero?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lookit There Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 9:03am
Now that I reread your statement, I see what you're saying - I interpreted it as "everyone (6 in total) who got a 0 then scored high advanced."
Never mind, then. Carry on. Smile
You can read Challenge 3 story here:Jeff
Sponsored Links

rossinny View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 9:18am
Originally posted by Lookit There Lookit There wrote:

Hate to spoil the party, but not all contestants advanced. I scored the fat 0 in Challenge 1, and 15 in Challenge 2, but did not advance - I was three points shy of the lowest-scoring person who did.

That must have been incredibly frustrating - first out of your entire group and still not through. Mind you, I think it would be even worse the other way around (15 in the first challenge, 0 in the second) as surely you'd be expecting to get through.

Just out of interest, can you put your finger on the reason? Did you hate your prompts / genre in the first challenge and love them in the second?

Edited by rossinny - 16 Aug 2017 at 9:19am
Ch 3 Flash The Wishing Whale

Ch 1 SSCOld Bessie
Joni View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 10:43am
I am fully prepared for low or no points on this round, and am so glad to have found this thread. I would participate in round 2 even if there was no hope of going forward with a 0 on first round, because it has been fun and challenging and a really cool experience. But, it is nice to know that, even though difficult, it's not impossible to come back strong enough in the 2nd round to potentially move forward. Thanks for the stats, Nixie! 
ShrtScrnply CH1 Number 12 Horror
FFC CH2 Roses are Dead
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by Lookit There Lookit There wrote:

Now that I reread your statement, I see what you're saying - I interpreted it as "everyone (6 in total) who got a 0 then scored high advanced."
Never mind, then. Carry on. Smile

My fault - sloppily worded. :)  I should have had a beta ;)

That said - it is worth pointing out that the difference between you and those 6 is just 'what group you happened to be in."  In some groups, 15 was enough points to move forward. In other groups, it was not enough to move forward.  

In one group, a writer or three nails the prompts and scores 20-25 points - and "15" is not enough to move ahead.  In another group, the high scores are distributed differently in Ch2 than in Ch1 and "total of 15" is enough to squeak out a pass into the next round. 
I'm not in this round,
but you can find m'love's story Here
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by Joni Joni wrote:

I am fully prepared for low or no points on this round, and am so glad to have found this thread. I would participate in round 2 even if there was no hope of going forward with a 0 on first round, because it has been fun and challenging and a really cool experience. But, it is nice to know that, even though difficult, it's not impossible to come back strong enough in the 2nd round to potentially move forward. Thanks for the stats, Nixie! 

No matter what the scores are you will, guaranteed, write two stories you would not have written otherwise, and have them beta read by people who understand what goes into writing and can help you plan for how to revise those two for submission. 

You won't find many $50 writer's workshops where that is true. Net win, every time.

If you move on - you get some extra stories, too!  And many folks who don't move on to a later round pick a group and write the prompts on contest weekend anyway  - while they don't get the judges, they do get a story. :)  

Just. Keep. Writing!
I'm not in this round,
but you can find m'love's story Here
sootfoot5 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sootfoot5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 5:28pm

I am fully prepared for low or no points on this round, and am so glad to have found this thread.

It is good to be prepared for the worst, but don't forget to hope for the best.  I have had times where I thought my story was terrible and I scored high and times where I thought my story was pretty good and I scored low.  How can this be, you might wonder.  Never forget that you aren't being scored entirely on your story--you are being scored against one another.  So even if your story is the best thing since sliced bread, if there are 15 other people who have stories that rocked the judge's world, your story gets a zero.The reverse is also true--you don't think your story is that great, but if your group is one that lacks good stories, or that judges think it lacks good stories, then your story may come out on top.

It is like being graded on the curve.  Not exactly, but sort of.  

So yes, being prepared for the worst is smart. But who knows?  The world of judging is full of mysteries. You may do better than you think!  

Prepare for the worst but hope for the best is probably the best thing anyone can do. 
Joni View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Joni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by nixie nixie wrote:

No matter what the scores are you will, guaranteed, write two stories you would not have written otherwise, and have them beta read by people who understand what goes into writing and can help you plan for how to revise those two for submission. 

You won't find many $50 writer's workshops where that is true. Net win, every time.

If you move on - you get some extra stories, too!  And many folks who don't move on to a later round pick a group and write the prompts on contest weekend anyway  - while they don't get the judges, they do get a story. :)  

Just. Keep. Writing!

I was actually just thinking about this today, because if we find out points on second challenge only a couple of days before the next challenge date, my mind will be already prepared for writing that weekend. I think whenever my time has ended in the contest, I will likely pick a prompt and write anyway, because it is a really great way to get some ideas flowing. Bonus of that will be getting to pick whichever one I want to write lol. 
FFC CH2 Roses are Dead
Joni View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Joni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by sootfoot5 sootfoot5 wrote:

I am fully prepared for low or no points on this round, and am so glad to have found this thread.

Prepare for the worst but hope for the best is probably the best thing anyone can do. 

This is kind of where I'm at, and if I get 0 it won't surprise me (this talent pool is incredible), so if I do manage to score some I will be happy. 
FFC CH2 Roses are Dead
sootfoot5 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sootfoot5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 7:15pm

Originally posted by sootfoot5 sootfoot5 wrote:

This is kind of where I'm at, and if I get 0 it won't surprise me (this talent pool is incredible), so if I do manage to score some I will be happy. 

You have a great attitude!
Splinker View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Splinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 8:43pm
On an unrelated topic, what if you score a one?

Edited by Splinker - 16 Aug 2017 at 8:44pm
D.H. Splinker
SSCreenplay R2 https://tinyurl.com/A-Loose-End
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
  Share Topic