NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What Genre or Subgenre would you like in NYCM?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollyvict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What Genre or Subgenre would you like in NYCM?
    Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 12:22am
This might have been a topic in an earlier thread, but I'm curious -- is there any fiction genre you prefer that's not explicitly a part of the NYCM categories, or is there a genre you'd like to try to write? I think it would be fun to have:

Roman noir
Magic realism (Even though I don't personally read it)
Young adult
[ahem]erotica (Not a reader, but would definitely be a challenge!)

Of course, many of us have incorporated elements of these subgenres into our stories, but sustaining the style throughout would be interesting.

Added 11/30:

Also, are there any genres that you think are inherently standalone, and have the power to transform or overwhelm other genres? I think romance is pretty all-consuming. 

Edited by Hollyvict - 30 Nov 2017 at 2:26pm
Sponsored Links

Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 4:23am
If you are interested in that kind of challenge, you might try YeahWrite contests for fiction.  They had some wild ones for the contest just finished.  Not my forte as I find being told what to write, and how, too confining.
DBA Lehane View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DBA Lehane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 7:25am
I think you can most probably work most of those into existing genres.  Young Adult, for example, can take place in any of the existing genres.

Erotica would be an interesting addition though :D
FFC 2015 4th Placed Finalist | SSC 2014 + 2016 Finalist
cbartley11 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote cbartley11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 2:12pm
My ghost story got called erotic in the first challenge. So maybe I should be rooting for that?
Hollyvict View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollyvict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by DBA Lehane DBA Lehane wrote:

I think you can most probably work most of those into existing genres.  Young Adult, for example, can take place in any of the existing genres.

In my own experience in these challenges, incorporating different fiction categories into the set genres is sometimes frowned upon by the judges. Granted, turning a thriller into a YA thriller probably wouldn't be an issue, but I've been told in judges' feedback that I've had points deducted because my genre interpretation wasn't pure (mixing psychological thriller and horror, magic realism and historical fiction, and drama and comedy). 

It seems a shame (to me, anyway) that erotica is isolated from mainstream fiction. But I know that it will never, ever be a category, just because I have no doubt that some contestants would flip out at having been assigned erotica. 
Zblugg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Zblugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 2:45pm
Horror/Erotica

Fifty Shades of Zyòrtlo-'tik

As Maryanne finally manages to get between the sheets with her new, exotic lover (whom she simply calls "Z"), she learns--the hard way--that not everyone is who they say they are. Now she battles a creature from outerspace AND its 50 appendages...

Yeah, that could work...
Hollyvict View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hollyvict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Zblugg Zblugg wrote:

Horror/Erotica

As Maryanne finally manages to get between the sheets with her new, exotic lover (whom she simply calls "Z"), she learns--the hard way--that not everyone is who they say they are. Now she battles a creature from outerspace AND its 50 appendages...

Yeah, that could work...

Ah, but is she really battling its 50 appendages?

Hiyooo!
Zblugg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Zblugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by Hollyvict Hollyvict wrote:

Originally posted by Zblugg Zblugg wrote:

Horror/Erotica

Yeah, that could work...

Ah, but is she really battling its 50 appendages?

Hiyooo!

Let's just say the sequel is titled Fifty Shades of Zyòrtlo-'tik II - Inner Demons...
TheDustyZebra View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheDustyZebra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 8:51pm
I would love to see erotica as a category here!

But I'd settle for Tudorpunk. Big smile
GallifreyGirl View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GallifreyGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 9:16pm
Kinda want some weird mash-up like ... eroticomedy:  See Dick Bone Jane.

Or something truly out of left field, like nonfiction categories -- memoir, creative nonfiction essay, etc.
R1: Aquacultural Appropriation[15pts]
R2: Offering [9pts]
R3: Fairy Tail Ending
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic