NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What genre do you wish they would add?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote thewritepursuit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 12:39pm
Overall I think they do a good job at being fairly inclusive with a list where you can pretty much squeeze any type of story into one of the broader categories and be good. Like making a Western story that's a comedy, or dramatic, or suspenseful, etc... but to have the actual genre listed so as to FORCE you to write that kind of story, would be the real challenge. So in that vein, I'm actually pretty surprised they don't have the Western category, and Steam Punk as well. 

For one that hasn't been mentioned, I'd like to see "Tall Tale" added. I think it has enough differences between that and other genres where you might squeeze it in, like Fairytales,  to be a fun category.

Another I personally wouldn't mind, but understand 100% why they wouldn't add it to a contest like this, would be Erotica. 
TheDustyZebra View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDustyZebra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by thewritepursuit thewritepursuit wrote:

Another I personally wouldn't mind, but understand 100% why they wouldn't add it to a contest like this, would be Erotica. 

Me too! But I totally wouldn't want to be the judges, having to read all the erotica written by the people who don't read the genre, don't like the genre, or are super-embarrassed to be writing something in it. LOL
100MF2020 R1 G26 If at First You Don't Succeed (Historical Fiction)
EWT View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EWT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 11:55am
I would rather not have genre assigned at all. My story turned out ok for what it is, but I'm not feeling motivated to revise it because I really don't know what to do with a flash fiction thriller. I generally write SFF and would have places to sub an SFF story to. I love flash contests and have done a couple others elsewhere, but if my daughter hadn't been so gung-ho to try a flash contest, I would probably not have entered this one because of the assigned genre component. 

That said if there was one thing I wouldn't mind being assigned, it would be YA. I know it's not a genre, but that's the appeal. It's flexible! 
FF 2018 R1: Publish or Perish
Elizabeth.Garland View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Elizabeth.Garland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by EWT EWT wrote:

I would rather not have genre assigned at all. My story turned out ok for what it is, but I'm not feeling motivated to revise it because I really don't know what to do with a flash fiction thriller. I generally write SFF and would have places to sub an SFF story to. I love flash contests and have done a couple others elsewhere, but if my daughter hadn't been so gung-ho to try a flash contest, I would probably not have entered this one because of the assigned genre component. 

That said if there was one thing I wouldn't mind being assigned, it would be YA. I know it's not a genre, but that's the appeal. It's flexible! 

Although I'm 100% opposed to Fiction War (they're slimy, dishonest, and truly a corrupted contest), I think you should look for contests like it. They don't assign a genre. They just give you a single prompt and you can do whatever you'd like with it. Smile

Personally, one of the main appeals of NYCM is the fact they assign a genre. It forces me to go outside my comfort zone and experiment with genres I'd never touch with a ten-foot pole. And, sometimes, once I try one, I realize I love it. For example, I never knew I loved writing horror or historical fiction until NYCM assigned it to me. (In the same breath, I've also discovered I despise fairy tale, lol!) 
chrissie0707 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by Elizabeth.Garland Elizabeth.Garland wrote:

Personally, one of the main appeals of NYCM is the fact they assign a genre. It forces me to go outside my comfort zone and experiment with genres I'd never touch with a ten-foot pole. And, sometimes, once I try one, I realize I love it. For example, I never knew I loved writing horror or historical fiction until NYCM assigned it to me. (In the same breath, I've also discovered I despise fairy tale, lol!) 

Same! Although there are some genres that make me nervous to have to handle, I would never had sat down and written a Spy Short Story without the genre prompt, or a Fairy Tale. It's such great writing practice, and I've been pretty pleased with everything I've managed to come up with.
MF Final Awakening
SSC#1 In the Eye
Elizabeth.Garland View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elizabeth.Garland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by chrissie0707 chrissie0707 wrote:

Same! Although there are some genres that make me nervous to have to handle, I would never had sat down and written a Spy Short Story without the genre prompt, or a Fairy Tale. It's such great writing practice, and I've been pretty pleased with everything I've managed to come up with.

It really is a wonderful way to stretch our wings and see what we're capable of...and things we should probably avoid in our personal writing. LOL 

Overall, I think out of the 20+ stories I've written for NYCM, I've only been mortified/severely disappointed by a couple. Some I've laughed about and put into a drawer to collect dust for all eternity. BUT I've liked most of them. A few I have LOVED. I've expanded one into a novel (querying to agents right now), another is being expanded right now into another novel, AND a few others will be combined into a single historical fiction novel someday. Just so much material I never would've had without these comps/prompts. Heart
chrissie0707 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 12:44pm

Originally posted by chrissie0707 chrissie0707 wrote:

It really is a wonderful way to stretch our wings and see what we're capable of...and things we should probably avoid in our personal writing. LOL 

Overall, I think out of the 20+ stories I've written for NYCM, I've only been mortified/severely disappointed by a couple. Some I've laughed about and put into a drawer to collect dust for all eternity. BUT I've liked most of them. A few I have LOVED. I've expanded one into a novel (querying to agents right now), another is being expanded right now into another novel, AND a few others will be combined into a single historical fiction novel someday. Just so much material I never would've had without these comps/prompts. Heart

That's fantastic!! That's sort of what I was looking for when I signed up for SSC. Some writing practice, experience, and MAYBE the start of something bigger. I've only written four stories so far for NYCM, and I fell in love with and see potential for one of my short stories.
MF Final Awakening
SSC#1 In the Eye
One_likethewind View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote One_likethewind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 2:20pm
I am almost 100% opposed as well to Fiction War. I am supposed to be published in Issue 7, they have not even published Issue 3 yet. So I'm done there. Would you have any other ideas for flash competitions like NYC or FW? I love doing them but FW is out until they catch up with their publishing.

"Although I'm 100% opposed to Fiction War (they're slimy, dishonest, and truly a corrupted contest), I think you should look for contests like it. They don't assign a genre. They just give you a single prompt and you can do whatever you'd like with it. "
One_likethewind
Cat McCatface View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cat McCatface Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by KJHunter KJHunter wrote:

Magical Realism.
Seconded.  
cbartley11 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbartley11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 2:54pm
magical realism is my favorite of all things.

but can i ask what the hell steam punk is as a genre? Am i just uncool? lol
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic