NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What feedback would you give contest organizers?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What feedback would you give contest organizers?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYCNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by chrissie0707 chrissie0707 wrote:

Originally, I agreed about the timeframe of the rounds being too tight, but having just completed the 24-hour final round, I have to say that while it was ROUGH, it wasn't necessarily impossible. I really enjoyed the challenge - perhaps more in hindsight than I did in the thick of it, but still - and it was a great experience.

I like the comments suggesting giving writers the numerical score for the story along with the feedback, and perhaps giving up some sort of idea of just what feedback the judges are encouraged to give. Because I've received both some really great detailed, in-depth, paragraphs offering encouragement and suggestions, and also some that is a single line that just gives me NO idea whatsoever what the judge actually thought, or the feeling they actually cared to offer constructive feedback.

I'm in 'Mindless Monday Mode' today as soooo tired! Doing this for the first time, Round 1 was tough but OK. Round 2 was tight and tricky as I had work commitments over Easter weekend and so couldn't free up the full 3 days as I wanted to. Then HELLO HELL 👿🤘: Round 3! Despite the lovely warnings and advice from you guys on here, I still peed about too long researching and coming up with an idea. Cue tears, meltdown, lots and lots of swearing.... and guilt, as I felt I'd squandered my chance and soiled the honour of that final place.

As completely new to writing.... the forum has been my source of growth. I think it would be nice to see where your strengths and weaknesses are as a writer confirmed by the judges. I know I fall short in punctuation, grammar.....and writing all round , but seeing the actual scores for those things would really help me personally and confirm where I need to channel my learning.

These are NYCM's criteria for marks.....wouldn't be too difficult to share those with us, would it? They must have a mark sheet?

Judging Criteria & Decision of the Judges - The fixed standard and criteria used by each of the Judges shall be instructed by the LLC to the Judges, and shall be as follows:

15% Format (Adherence to paragraph #14, but not including Length)
15% Spelling and Grammar
70% Story (Writing, Originality, Character Development, and Plot Development)

Paula x

Edited by NYCNewbie - 14 May 2018 at 2:52pm
Sponsored Links

scriber View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scriber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

Originally posted by scriber scriber wrote:

Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

I have said this before, the scoring could be done on the same three points they say in the rules that we are scored on - 15% format, 15% spelling grammar, 70% story.  Beside each judges number before their feedback could be what percent we did 15/15/70.
Even that would be a big help. Nothing over the top, just something to give a better idea where I'm going wrong (or right). It might even be helpful for some judges without being a huge inconvenience. 

Well, if they are judging the way they are supposed to it should not be any trouble at all.  They should be having to submit it to NYCM with their judging of the story or NYCM is not doing what we pay for.

Agreed, it really wouldn't be a stretch of extra effort. For being helpful, I sort of meant if they know the scores would be part of our feedback, it might offer a focal point for judges that struggle with feedback for some stories. It could offer the option to elaborate on the scoring a bit. "You lost points here because lack of continuity/too much exposition/confusing transitions/dear lord get a hold on your grammar!" 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic