NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What does everyone do for a living?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keeshaleig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 3:30am
I am a custodian, used to be an engineering/environmental technician in a past life. 
Suzanne
Beginning Writer Contestant

https://keeshaworld-blog.tumblr.com/post/190595467231/sweet-revenge-of-the-betrayed
Enigma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enigma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 6:27pm
I'm a transportation engineer (design of roads and highways, signal timing, traffic flow theory, all the good stuff). It's so amazing to see so many different backgrounds! Writing can sprout from everywhere!
Enigma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enigma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 6:28pm
I'm a transportation engineer.
mandabanana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 4:25pm
I'm a high school English teacher! Writing is one of my hobbies and I really push my students to try creative writing as well. I offer the Young Writer's Program of Nanowrimo to them every November as a class assignment. The ones who take it on each write 25k words and it gives me motivation to write my own 25k and dive deep into the process with them.
SSC1 R1, H11 | The Gravity of Deliverance
Sci-fi | Betrayal | Delivery Driver
jdadams1 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdadams1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 9:36pm
I write, edit and distribute operational/instructional communications for a large company. It is a very different type of writing than this, but I think it has really helped me learn to pack a lot of details into a small word count. 
Story R1: From Pepper Valley (romance)
Screenplay R3:
What Stops Their Laughter Will Stop Yours, Too (horror)
justmel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justmel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 6:16am
Retired English professor. Started planning an early retirement after reading Stephen King's lines in On Writing about the future he saw for himself if he kept teaching, and realizing I had achieved that exact level of depressing inaction.  

With apologies for the font from my c/p:

“By the time I started Carrie, I had landed a job teaching English, [and] for the first time in my life, writing was hard.  The problem was the teaching. . .  I could see myself thirty years on, wearing the same shabby [clothes], [with a] potbelly . . . a cigarette cough . . . thicker glasses . . . and in my desk drawer, six or seven manuscripts which I would take out and tinker with from time to time. . . . If asked what I did in my spare time, I’d tell people I was writing a book. . . . And of course I’d lie to myself, telling myself there was still time, it wasn’t too late.” 

Preyingcloud View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preyingcloud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 1:44pm
I'm a coroner. I don't perform autopsies and I don't have a medical degree. I was a lawyer but I didn't like sitting around with colleagues who salivated over people's devastating injuries and the funding dried up for the non profit work I was previously doing. 
keeshaleig View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keeshaleig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2020 at 2:29pm
That would be a great supply of stories for writing. I'm almost jealous.
Suzanne
Beginning Writer Contestant

https://keeshaworld-blog.tumblr.com/post/190595467231/sweet-revenge-of-the-betrayed
Krystyne View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krystyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 12:55pm
I used to build websites and support e-commerce installations, do social media marketing and SEO for clients. I still do, but scaled back. 
Now I am a mystery shopper. Social media platform owner. And I’m focusing on writing. 
Lord Xoon View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Xoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by Brianne911! Brianne911! wrote:

I'm a stripper I do it to fund my career in creative writing

Pics or it didn't happen
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>
  Share Topic