NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What Did You Get for Round 2?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Mountstuart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 6:34am
Originally posted by Hatter Hatter wrote:

Oof.

Group 17

Romance/A public square/styrofoam

It's been nice knowing you all....

I'm with you...
Logan Mountstuart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Mountstuart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 6:36am

Oof.

Group 17

I'm not a native speaker, and I noticed that "Styrofoam" is sometimes written with a capital S, and other times not. What do you all think ?

Edited by Logan Mountstuart - 19 Oct 2020 at 6:38am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Mountstuart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 6:47am
Originally posted by Lord Xoon Lord Xoon wrote:

I got the "widowmaker" - romance. So this is probably it for me.

But at least this time I'll have them end up together, unlike my past efforts. I've at least learned that much.

Why is romance the "widowmaker" ???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Mountstuart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 7:09am
Originally posted by Archaeo Archaeo wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
Fristly, I am not feeling dejected so much but frustrated, yes.
For me being goal-oriented, I am not seeing the results that I would like after two years.
Wow, after getting the same genre nine times, I would be totally over it, that's for sure.

Doing these comps here has improved my writing and I have enjoyed every round but it seems it is time to go elsewhere. I am starting to enter other comps where I can choose the themes and write what I want.

Secondly, I never meant by my comments that other writers should sacrifice their IP or publishing rights so I can see their work. In fact, it is why I don't publish in the forums. I respect that totally.
However, all I am saying is that it would be super helpful to me as a visual tool to see what is progressing in the comp when my work doesn't. That's all.

It seems to me that it's all about points. Your stories were awesome, but some other judges gave more points to other writers and you didn't advance. It's just that, chance, and numbers. In France we have a very sarcastic saying when it comes to competitions: "before we can succeed, the others have to fail".
TelepathicTeaTime View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TelepathicTeaTime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 7:15am
Originally posted by Logan Mountstuart Logan Mountstuart wrote:

Oof.

Group 17

I'm not a native speaker, and I noticed that "Styrofoam" is sometimes written with a capital S, and other times not. What do you all think ?

Hey-o fellow group mate! So I ended up looking into this myself once I saw our prompts. Turns out the only difference is one is a trademark brand of Styrofoam which will be capitalized, and then any other brand of polystyrene foam is usually referred to as the same, just lowercase to show it's not the specific brand. It's kind of like a Band-Aid / medical adhesive situation. Almost everyone will just call a band-aid a "band-aid", even if it's not the actual Band-Aid brand.

I'm sorry, I hope that's not too confusing an explanation!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Mountstuart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 7:17am
No no, it's perfectly clear and I thought so as well, so I chose not to capitalise it when I used it in my story :) Thanks for reassuring me !
incompletegenius View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote incompletegenius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by Tim G Tim G wrote:

Group 9 - Suspense, Watchtower, Pig

I've done what I always do with Suspense and pretend it says 'Thriller'. No judge has ever yet gotten into the weeds with me about how much the audience vs the protagonist knows Smile

Draft one complete so I'll sleep a little more soundly for that. Hope you're all doing great!

In hindsight I feel I should have done the same (but going with 'Mystery')...suspense felt... 'vague'. Best of wishes to you, Wet Moss and justmel!

Originally posted by justmel justmel wrote:

Originally posted by wet moss wet moss wrote:

Got 
Suspense, watchtower, pig 
as well. Now worried my idea is the obvious one and there will be 5 similar stories. Might need to drag in an alien or a dinosour to stand out. 

If you *have* an idea, you're three steps ahead of me. I had one, but it went nowhere. Currently fighting panic. Ugh. 

I went through this with these prompts, having ideas that seemed 'obvious', but ultimately not having ANYTHING. It's never been such a late call for me. I had NO story at 1am (deadline is 5am here - UK), at 2:20 I scrapped the 135 words I did have and started over, hand writing this time, different idea. At approx 4.15 I was at the 500-word mark.

None of that is in anyway ideal, nor advisable. I will not be proceeding, ha. Good luck heat-mates!

Edited by incompletegenius - 19 Oct 2020 at 1:54pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
  Share Topic