NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What contests do you participate in?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cjr169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What contests do you participate in?
    Posted: 22 May 2023 at 11:37am
I do this one, short story and flash fiction only. The super short forms are not really my jam. 

Tried Writing Battle, got a little annoyed that all the feedback was around how my story wasn't "winter enough" for winter survival. 

Tried my hand for the first time at Writers Playground. We'll see how that goes.

Curious what else is out there? 
wisemel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wisemel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 11:48am
I do NYCM (SS, Flash, 250, 100), Writing Battle, and Globe Soup contests. I also did the last Women on Writing flash (made the finals) and will probably add their quarterly flash fiction to my schedule. 

Off Topic Publishing has a monthly contest that rotates between poetry, non-fiction, and fiction. I am going to try and sub to that one during the next fiction round. 

I keep thinking I'll try Elegant Literature, but I never get around to it. One day! 
TeeHi View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TeeHi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 12:13pm
I do NYCM's Flash Fiction and Short Screenplay, as I prefer to do contests where I have a guaranteed two rounds that I know I'll be writing in, here. I also competed in the inaugural Rhyming Contest; I didn't move on to R2, but I did get points and will likely do it again even though it's only one guaranteed round.

Other contests I enter regularly include Globe Soup's contests (I've only entered a couple so far and enjoyed them, so I'll continue, though I'm not sure what my limit there will be), Writer's Playground, YeahWrite, and my favorite aside from NYCM, WritingBattle (I think all contests, but we'll see). 

If I'm feeling the prompts, I may also enter contests at Reedsy Prompts and Writer's Weekly

wisemel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote wisemel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by TeeHi TeeHi wrote:

If I'm feeling the prompts, I may also enter contests at Reedsy Prompts and Writer's Weekly

I like some of the Reedsy prompts, but unfortunately, entering their contests gives them rights to do whatever they want with your story. That's a nope for me. 

"Each entrant retains the copyright to their entry but grants to Reedsy a non-exclusive, irrevocable, perpetual, transferable, sub-licensable, worldwide, royalty-free license to store, publish, edit and otherwise use the entry on our website(s) and platform(s) to publish all or part of your entry and in all media now known or hereafter discovered at our discretion."

Sharing in case you didn't catch that in their terms. Full terms of use here: https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/terms/

Jennk View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Jennk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by cjr169 cjr169 wrote:

I do this one, short story and flash fiction only. The super short forms are not really my jam. 

Tried Writing Battle, got a little annoyed that all the feedback was around how my story wasn't "winter enough" for winter survival. 

Tried my hand for the first time at Writers Playground. We'll see how that goes.

Consider giving WB another try! I mean this is a kind way possible, but perhaps it was valid feedback (especially if more than one person cited it). All the WS stories I read leaned into the cold weather! But, yes, peer feedback isn't always helpful.

The current iteration of WB uses a new format so no one story can knock out another. It's all about winning against a variety of stories. This new system, Swiss-style, is fairer and every story can get 10 pieces of feedback no matter how it does.

But beyond WB and NYCM, Globe Soup and Writers Playground are new ones I'm trying for the first time. We'll see.
** On a Forum Break until April **

250 R2: Whispers Under a Lonely Kansas Sky
More: Archive
cjr169 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cjr169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by Jennk Jennk wrote:

Originally posted by cjr169 cjr169 wrote:

Consider giving WB another try! I mean this is a kind way possible, but perhaps it was valid feedback (especially if more than one person cited it). All the WS stories I read leaned into the cold weather! But, yes, peer feedback isn't always helpful.

The current iteration of WB uses a new format so no one story can knock out another. It's all about winning against a variety of stories. This new system, Swiss-style, is fairer and every story can get 10 pieces of feedback no matter how it does.

But beyond WB and NYCM, Globe Soup and Writers Playground are new ones I'm trying for the first time. We'll see.

It very well might have been valid. The silver lining was that it was accepted for publication to the first place I submitted it. 

I'll be back for the autumn short story battle. I'm not really into the micro/nano stuff. I always feel like I end up with a crummy haiku once I edit it down. 

Edited by cjr169 - 22 May 2023 at 4:28pm
dashesndots2 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dashesndots2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 6:28pm
NYCM:
Short Story since 2017 - made it to the finals in 2020
Flash since 2018 - made it to the finals in 2021 and 2022. The fact that I tend to do better overall in Flash continues to baffle me considering I much prefer the longer word counts. 
Tried the 100-word and 250-word one time each and never again. The short forms are not for me, either.
I may try Rhyming this next time around.

Writing Battle:
Tried it three times (Flash twice and Short Story once) and did horribly / was out super early all three times (fairly, I might add, especially the last one). But now that the format has changed to Swiss, I might give it another go with Autumn Short Story.

Writer's Playground:
Tried this for the first time this past round, and really enjoyed it (yay 3000 words! yay being able to choose from different prompts and choose your own genre!), so will probably add it to my rotation. 

Globe Soup:
I haven't actually done one of theirs yet, but I did buy the 18-lesson course and have the current 7-day challenge taunting me in my inbox (I got SciFi for the genre). So we'll see.

cford View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 6:50pm
On NYCM I do 100MF, 250MF and Flash. Usually Short Story but I didn't this year. Also loved the Rhyming so will keep doing that. I tend to do better at the micros, but hope to improve with the bigger stories.
I'm definitely not a screenwriter so don't do that.

Done most of the writing battles so will continue with that.

Just starting with Globe Soup - hoping to find the time to do the 7 day challenge this week.

Used to do furious fiction quarterly. Haven't done a Writer's Playground yet or YeahWrite.

I'd so love to have the time and luxury to just focus on writing!, do all the contests, spend proper time refining them all, seriously subbing everything.

Maybe after my upcoming maternity leave period when we are through the all consuming baby toddler time, if we are surviving okay financially then maybe I'll be able to give it a go at home for awhile - can dream anyway!
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 5:08am

All the NYCM; cept 100mf and Rhyming.
YeahWrite a couple of times.
Furious Fiction - used to do it a lot, but not a contest anymore - I never really trusted the judging there, 1500 entries judged in a month with no entry fee (and I did not win).
Writing Battle.
FerretKittyMom View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FerretKittyMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 1:56pm
I have mostly just done NYCM contests -- 100 MF, 250 MF, Short Story, Flash, and Rhyming. But I will no longer be participating in 100 MF due to personal reasons. The 1st year I joined (it was actually my 1st comp!), my best friend of 25+ years passed away unexpectedly the Monday after submission. She had encouraged me to enter, and would have entered it herself but she had been feeling poorly. The 2nd year, I entered because I knew she would have wanted me to. And then....my boyfriend's mom passed away the following Monday. So I am no longer entering that one. My step-dad is on year 5 of his cancer battle and not doing so well. And my sister was just diagnosed with cancer as well. So I am gonna skip 100 from now on and not tempt fate. 

I entered Writers Playground for the 3rd time last comp. And actually managed to submit this time. Go me! LOL The 1st time I entered, I just couldn't find a combination of the prompts that inspired me. The 2nd time, I got a great story idea, but over procrastinated. I hit a major snag and couldn't get the story to "flow". I tried to make it work, and it fought me at every turn. So I just gave up and went to sleep. When I woke up, I realized that all I needed to do was back the timeline up maybe 15 minutes from where I started it, and shift perspective to a different MC. Which would have been an easy fix, but I had this epiphany less than 2 hrs to deadline, and minutes before I had to go to work. This year I still procrastinated, but managed to finish my entry and submit. (And then went to work on less than an hour of sleep LOL)

I'll have to check out some of the other competitions that have been mentioned. Smile
Rhyming2 Vacation Vexation

Rhyming1Stella
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>