NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Well, that was (nearly) impossible!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nic6879 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 4:34pm
Third time participant (one SSC and one FFC before this) and I signed up again to get myself out of the not-writing-anything slump for the past year and a half (I give myself grace as I had a baby during that time). But my brain was such mush that I had no ideas AT ALL, a total blank on what to do. By Friday night I had decided to throw in the towel this time. Saturday (day 8) I woke up with the first workable idea, then had no time (since there's a 5-month old in my life) for most of the day...
I basically threw a story together in about 4 hours that landed at exactly 2,500 words. I actually am fond of the idea and part of its execution, but due to the time constraints and no beta readers it's shoddy, not 100% thought through, has typos and weaknesses. And to add insult to injury, after fighting the good fight, my submission went through one minute past the deadline. So I might get disqualified. Wacko

But now I'm really proud I actually did it, after all, because it means I can still produce a story even in a short amount of time, and that - albeit far from perfect - the writing is at least decent. So in the end, the contest forced what I needed it to do, to get me to just *DO* something.
FCC18 Ch3 Gr15: Fool Me Once
Ch2
Ch1
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by DukeREK DukeREK wrote:

I hear that.

Romantic comedy sent me scrambling into mental caverns I have never explored and that I dynamited after I had. I even sat down and watched When Harry got mail or somesuch.

LOL That pretty much describes their idea of romcom: every shlocky Meg Ryan movie from the late eighties-early nineties. Maybe with some Hallmark sprinkled in. It's amazing how hard it is to write boring, bland, formula. 

I do hope I get straight comedy at some point because MY idea of a funny comedy is (literary-wise) A Man Called Ove (I kept having to warn Mom when I was about to read something out loud, "Okay, this is so hysterically funny--oh, yeah, Ove's trying to hang himself but it IS funny"), or The Hundred-Year-Old-Man Who Climbed Out a Window and Disappeared (which may have the highest body count of any book I've ever read that wasn't nonfiction about a war.)  The movie Adams Aebler (Adam's Apples) is good too but even MORE...you can't even say irreverent, it doesn't go half far enough.
SSC 2020 R1 G77: The Artist Is Not Present
shady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 5:59pm
I had no trouble starting.   After a couple days I thought I can do that! Then the revisions started.   The scenes were all I’ve the place & confusing. I added too many side stories & background. The rewriting and cut & pasting got me all stressed. Then during the polishing up part I still made some big changes. I kept hearing all my high school teachers: passive voice! Too many state of being verbs! More adjectives and description! It was SO HARD!
Then I realized I’ve never actually finished a story since college (a bit ago)! Turned it in a couple hours before deadline. Then I decided to make some changes and remembered I didn’t check the font size or format! I would be so upset if I was disqualified for font!!

Although I did more telling than showing, I am pleased with what I turned in.
shady
DukeREK View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DukeREK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by Nic6879 Nic6879 wrote:

Third time participant (one SSC and one FFC before this) and I signed up again to get myself out of the not-writing-anything slump for the past year and a half (I give myself grace as I had a baby during that time). But my brain was such mush that I had no ideas AT ALL, a total blank on what to do. By Friday night I had decided to throw in the towel this time. Saturday (day 8) I woke up with the first workable idea, then had no time (since there's a 5-month old in my life) for most of the day...
I basically threw a story together in about 4 hours that landed at exactly 2,500 words. I actually am fond of the idea and part of its execution, but due to the time constraints and no beta readers it's shoddy, not 100% thought through, has typos and weaknesses. And to add insult to injury, after fighting the good fight, my submission went through one minute past the deadline. So I might get disqualified. Wacko

But now I'm really proud I actually did it, after all, because it means I can still produce a story even in a short amount of time, and that - albeit far from perfect - the writing is at least decent. So in the end, the contest forced what I needed it to do, to get me to just *DO* something.

Awesome work and so very well done. You should be proud. To my mind, that's the primary benefit of programs like this - encourages you to write something... anything... just write! And you did :)

Edited by DukeREK - 27 Jan 2020 at 6:25pm
"One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple." - Jack Kerouac

SSC2020 Leather-bound
OnyxLily View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnyxLily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

Originally posted by DukeREK DukeREK wrote:

I hear that.

Romantic comedy sent me scrambling into mental caverns I have never explored and that I dynamited after I had. I even sat down and watched When Harry got mail or somesuch.

LOL That pretty much describes their idea of romcom: every shlocky Meg Ryan movie from the late eighties-early nineties. Maybe with some Hallmark sprinkled in. It's amazing how hard it is to write boring, bland, formula. 

I do hope I get straight comedy at some point because MY idea of a funny comedy is (literary-wise) A Man Called Ove (I kept having to warn Mom when I was about to read something out loud, "Okay, this is so hysterically funny--oh, yeah, Ove's trying to hang himself but it IS funny"), or The Hundred-Year-Old-Man Who Climbed Out a Window and Disappeared (which may have the highest body count of any book I've ever read that wasn't nonfiction about a war.)  The movie Adams Aebler (Adam's Apples) is good too but even MORE...you can't even say irreverent, it doesn't go half far enough.

If you do get comedy, I'll definitely read that. I loved A Man Called Ove and The Hundred-Year-Old-Man Who Climbed Out a Window and Disappeared. I haven't seen Adams Aebler but sounds like I might need to look it up!
Nbelousova View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nbelousova Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 7:51pm
Well done for getting a story out under those circumstances! Mine feels sloppy as well, of course I had no time for a beta either. I like the way some of it turned out (one of the characters turned out quite vivid, and I might use her in another story sometime) but the MC is a bit flat and there's all this extra detail that would've made the story so much better if only I'd had the space to put it in (or the time to work it into the narrative without adding to the word count). Mine clocked in at exactly 2500 words too, it's a pity there are no bonus points for that!
OnyxLily View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnyxLily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by Nbelousova Nbelousova wrote:

Well done for getting a story out under those circumstances! Mine feels sloppy as well, of course I had no time for a beta either. I like the way some of it turned out (one of the characters turned out quite vivid, and I might use her in another story sometime) but the MC is a bit flat and there's all this extra detail that would've made the story so much better if only I'd had the space to put it in (or the time to work it into the narrative without adding to the word count). Mine clocked in at exactly 2500 words too, it's a pity there are no bonus points for that!

Tip: If you press "quote" rather than "reply" we can see which post you're replying to. One of the quirks of a 90s-style internet forum! LOL
Nbelousova View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nbelousova Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by OnyxLily OnyxLily wrote:

Tip: If you press "quote" rather than "reply" we can see which post you're replying to. One of the quirks of a 90s-style internet forum! LOL

Hah! I was wondering how to do that. Never thought I'd turn into one of "these" people, but here I am...
Spooky View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spooky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 4:29am
That was your first story since college? Then you did amazing! I found it hard. I take a long time when I write. I usually take two weeks alone to work on voice. As such, my story doesn’t be really have any lol. When when you say ‘passive voice’ and ‘state of being verbs’ what do you mean? Like ‘he was happy’? And just using the passive tense? Cos now I’m gonna take a look and see if I did bad there!
Mumser View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mumser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 5:39am
Originally posted by lmcollins lmcollins wrote:

I feel the same way!!! I got derailed a bit by a monster storm. No power for three nights with everyone indoors! My genre was fantasy - not my area at all - and now I think I may be disqualified because it was not fantastical enough or too macabre! I wonder will they be a little more lenient int he first round? I am new to the competition and this is the first story I have ever shared!
We heard about that storm! You guys get snow like nobody else.
Good work getting your story through and I wouldn’t worry about it being fantastical enough. If you forgot a prompt or missed the deadline by a lot, that would be a DQ. The main thing is, you wrote a story and submitted it. I hope you share on the forum - there’s so much to learn reviewing other stories and receiving reviews of yours. Congrats, I hope this is the first of many for you! Good luck!
SSC2020-R2 Nini's Rage
SSC2020-R1 George and Firenza
FFC2019-R4 The Spirit Cloud
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic