NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Weird Synopsis Feedback?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kasey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weird Synopsis Feedback?
    Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 11:40am
One of my judges only provided feedback on my title and synopsis, and it seems mighty weird to me. Read on:

What the judges liked: Congratulations on composing a logline that fires on all three cylinders of the best of them, which are composed of your Protagonist, their Goal, and an impediment to that Goal. 
What the judges feel needs work: You don't need to write "synopsis" next to your logline, per se; as long as it is on the cover page and beneath the title, it is clear what it is. Also, center your logline in the middle of your cover page. It should not be justified to the left.

What in the world? I mean, I guess I appreciate the positive feedback on my synopsis, but is the formatting of the synopsis part of the judging? I've read the NYC rules page multiple times, and I don't see anything about the logline needing to be centered. Is that part of the scoring? This judge literally gave NO other "needs work," so I'm a little stupefied by it all.

Thoughts?

Edited by Kasey - 08 Nov 2019 at 3:00pm
ChillyToez View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChillyToez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 11:51am
Originally posted by Kasey Kasey wrote:

You don't need to write "synopsis" next to your logline, per se; as long as it is on the cover page and beneath the title, it is clear what it is. 

Someone in my writing group had the SAME critique--verbatim. Shocked
Kasey View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kasey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 11:53am
What? That's ridiculous!
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChillyToez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 11:54am

What? That's ridiculous!

Was it judge #1610?
Kasey View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kasey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by ChillyToez ChillyToez wrote:

Was it judge #1610?

Yes! Ugh. I wonder if he/she/they gave the same comment to everyone. How awful. I really do value the actual feedback. Comments about the formatting of our cover pages does nothing to help us grow as writers. 
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ChillyToez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 12:04pm

Comments about the formatting of our cover pages does nothing to help us grow as writers. 

<slow clap>
MrLipto View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MrLipto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 12:10pm
In the email there should be a link to evaluate the feedback.

Make sure you mention this! And that it was copied and pasted?! 
KLNorman View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KLNorman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 12:16pm
I’ve learned that they care a lot more about the title and synopsis then I thought. This is the first year I actually put thought into them and did much better this time around.
justmel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justmel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 12:25pm
That judge definitely should be reported. 

But yes, loglines and titles do apparently matter.  I had an otherwise pretty good (IMO) story in the SSC get slammed by the judges one year for what they considered a lazy title (it wasn't lazy--they just didn't get it) and a sucky logline (which was admittedly weak, but not because I was lazy--I just ran out of time).  That's the only year I haven't moved on to R2 in Short Story, and I still suspect it wasn't the story itself, but the logline and title, that kept me from moving on that year.  I've paid a lot more attention to both since then.

Kasey View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kasey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by KLNorman KLNorman wrote:

I’ve learned that they care a lot more about the title and synopsis then I thought. This is the first year I actually put thought into them and did much better this time around.

Yes, I agree that they should be considered and well-written. This issue, however, appears to be specific to the formatting. Last year I finished first in the first two rounds. This year, I have a second and a fourth place. I have used the same formatting for my cover page every single time.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic