NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Weird Synopsis Feedback?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdadams1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 11:44pm
Hold onto your hats, kids. This seemed familiar, so I checked my past emails, and found this from my 2018 Flash Fiction Round 2 results -- received Nov. 8, 2018 (exactly one year ago today).

{1610}  ~ Your Title is already enough of an in-your-face shout without your bolding it too.

~ You don't need to announce your synopsis or logline per se; as long as it is on the cover page and beneath the title, it will be clear what it is.

Still holding those hats? Good, cuz here's my feedback from today:

{1610}  ~ Your log-line both succeeds and falters.

In the plus column, it fires on all three cylinders​ of the best of them which are comprised of these elements:

your Protagonist(s) -two best friends,

their Goal- inviting their crushes to the school's big dance,

and

an Impediment to that Goal - plans going awry.

Your problem is that your impediment sounds too definitive, predicting failure when​ its purpose is to be enticing and open-ended enough to leave your audience rooting for (or against) your players and eager to learn more.

MF1-horror
SS1-romance
FF3-ghost story
Kasey View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kasey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 12:06am
Originally posted by jdadams1 jdadams1 wrote:

Hold onto your hats, kids. This seemed familiar, so I checked my past emails, and found this from my 2018 Flash Fiction Round 2 results -- received Nov. 8, 2018 (exactly one year ago today).

{1610}  ~ Your Title is already enough of an in-your-face shout without your bolding it too.

~ You don't need to announce your synopsis or logline per se; as long as it is on the cover page and beneath the title, it will be clear what it is.

Shut. The. Front. Door.

td333777 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote td333777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 12:28am
It is SO petty to critique the synopsis.  Short stories almost never have them in the real world, so who cares?  They're not part of the word count, so they're essentially superfluous.  It's almost like the person just needed to throw shade at SOMETHING, and the synopsis was the easiest target.
FFC 2019 - Ch 3, Gr 23 Escape
SSC 2018 - 2nd place
FFC 2017 - 1st place
LindaNZ View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LindaNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 12:56am
Wow. Just wow. It's totally justifiable to be upset when a judge only gives feedback on your front page. But it is 100 times worse if the recycle the same comments repeatedly, and in different competitions over a number of years. I get that judges will repeat some of the same comments, but that is truly pathetic. 
OnyxLily View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote OnyxLily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 2:02am
Originally posted by jdadams1 jdadams1 wrote:

Holy freaking heck Batman. I was trying to give this judge some leeway thinking they must be new! Hell to the no, that is not ok. 
A Ship in the Woods Micro19 R1
The Scorch FF19 C2
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 10:55am
No, I was pretty sure I've seen 1610's feedback before. I really don't think they ever "fire" judges, just replace them if they quit.

And frankly, while I've had real moments of impostor syndrome (reading the living author's bios in a mystery anthology I'm in, never mind Conan Doyle and Dostoevsky, made me wonder how the heck my story was in there, not to mention wishing my bio sounded cooler) but my only reaction to reading judges' bios was "Wow, so y'all are what happens to fine-arts degrees..." Or wondering why the prose contests are being judged by people whose only qualifications are writing screenplays. Who seem like very logical judges for the SCREENPLAY contests. 
FFC R1 GR40: Iconoclast
FFC R2 G40: Void Deck
justmel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote justmel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 2:28pm
Well well well.  I just did a little search of my email and looky what came up (from 2018 Screenplay):

WHAT THE JUDGES LIKED ABOUT YOUR SCREENPLAY - {1610}  ~ The droll second sentence of your logline hooked me!

WHAT THE JUDGES FEEL NEEDS WORK - {1610}  ~ You left this extraneous information on the top of your screenplay's first page:

"NYCM SCREENWRITING 2018 R1 4-28-18."

~ Such mistakes are elements under consideration in judging your entry, and having them occur on the title page or @ the very beginning of your plot raises a red flag of warning to any reader. 

~ So it's especially important to polish these pages to-the-max because they supply first impressions, for good or ill.

jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 7:23pm
So does 1610 care about content at all?
FFC R1 GR40: Iconoclast
FFC R2 G40: Void Deck
ChristiLB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChristiLB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 8:53pm
I think they should have judge 1610 strictly for the screenplay competitions because writing a great logline is a big deal when trying to sell a screenplay so perhaps their comments would be more helpful in that arena. When you only get three judges though, it is very frustrating to have one devote all their critiques to the logline only and nothing else. I suspect a lot of people will be leaving similar feedback about this particular judge. LOLLOLLOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic