NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Weird Synopsis Feedback?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NerdyDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by Kasey Kasey wrote:

Originally posted by ChillyToez ChillyToez wrote:

Was it judge #1610?

Yes! Ugh. I wonder if he/she/they gave the same comment to everyone. How awful. I really do value the actual feedback. Comments about the formatting of our cover pages does nothing to help us grow as writers. 

1610 was a judge for my first story. I also got feedback about my "logline" from this judge. I think if you search posts for 1610 you will find a lot of people found that this judge has an obsession with the logline/title page. 

vkmartin View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote vkmartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 1:12pm
I got that feedback. I've submitted titles/synopsis using the same formatting for multiple NYCM competitions and no one has ever cared before.I've sent in feedback about that judge to NYCM because it absolutely isn't useful feedback, plus I definitely don't like the fact that the same feedback was c/p to other writers.

Edited by vkmartin - 08 Nov 2019 at 1:15pm
OnyxLily View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote OnyxLily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 1:40pm
1610 seems to comment on "a logline that fires on all three cylinders" and contains the "three essential elements" (or not) and likes to tell us about "the world of journalism". Not helpful.
A Ship in the Woods Micro19 R1
The Scorch FF19 C2
ChristiLB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChristiLB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by Kasey Kasey wrote:

One of my judges only provided feedback on my title and synopsis, and it seems might weird to me. Read on:

What the judges liked: Congratulations on composing a logline that fires on all three cylinders of the best of them, which are composed of your Protagonist, their Goal, and an impediment to that Goal. 
What the judges feel needs work: You don't need to write "synopsis" next to your logline, per se; as long as it is on the cover page and beneath the title, it is clear what it is. Also, center your logline in the middle of your cover page. It should not be justified to the left.

What in the world? I mean, I guess I appreciate the positive feedback on my synopsis, but is the formatting of the synopsis part of the judging? I've read the NYC rules page multiple times, and I don't see anything about the logline needing to be centered. Is that part of the scoring? This judge literally gave NO other "needs work," so I'm a little stupefied by it all.

Thoughts?

It could be that your writing was so solid that they couldn't find anything else to critique other than the logline. Maybe I'll have to get you to help me write mine because I always come up with terrible ones lol
Preyingcloud View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Preyingcloud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 1:58pm
That merits a solid WTF.

That is the only feedback given? And this person has given it more than once? Did someone reanimate a 19th century typesetter? I would be really annoyed with that feedback too because either the judge does not have the requisite skill to perform their duty or they just don't care that much. I would be pretty annoyed in your shoes. That goes beyond pedantry to straight up nitpicking
NerdyDan View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NerdyDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by Preyingcloud Preyingcloud wrote:

That merits a solid WTF.

Did someone reanimate a 19th century typesetter? 

#Dead
jkwells16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkwells16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 4:22pm

I have never posted to this forum, but was alerted to this topic after I shared the exact same feedback with a friend and fellow contestant.  I scored 15 points in round 1 but zero in round 2 any my only feedback from 1610 was about loglines (more than 100 words about loglines, including the cut-and-paste language that others have discussed, such as “firing on all three cylinders”), font sizes (e.g., my title would be more impactful if it was larger (?)) and a weird rant about capitalization (as in, I should be capitalizing random words in my story, like "Village" and "Castle"). I'm not even sure this person read the story, as all of his/her feedback concerned the cover page.

OnyxLily View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnyxLily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by jkwells16 jkwells16 wrote:

I have never posted to this forum, but was alerted to this topic after I shared the exact same feedback with a friend and fellow contestant.  I scored 15 points in round 1 but zero in round 2 any my only feedback from 1610 was about loglines (more than 100 words about loglines, including the cut-and-paste language that others have discussed, such as “firing on all three cylinders”), font sizes (e.g., my title would be more impactful if it was larger (?)) and a weird rant about capitalization (as in, I should be capitalizing random words in my story, like "Village" and "Castle"). I'm not even sure this person read the story, as all of his/her feedback concerned the cover page. 

Make sure you give feedback on this judge via the survey form. I assume, if enough people complain about the same thing, that judge either won't be invited to take part again, or will be given a bit more guidance as to how they should be judging and giving feedback. 

Apparently they recruit judges via Craigslist, and I guess a few not-so-great applicants must slip through!
A Ship in the Woods Micro19 R1
The Scorch FF19 C2
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 8:55pm
Far be it from me to defend that pedant, but in this case I'll give him that it looks, well, pedantic and extraneous to put "Synopsis" in front of your log line. We know what it is. 

The better question is why we have to do them and why 1610 is obsessed with them as no market anywhere asks for, wants, or includes log lines. If they need a description for their book or magazine, they write it after they buy it. I have to wonder if they're some screenplay person that said on the application they were comfortable also judging fiction but has no practical experience in it.
FFC R1 GR40: Iconoclast
FFC R2 G40: Void Deck
Zelda View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zelda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 9:31pm
it's ridonk. It sounds as if the judges were trying to make the judging easier by fixating on something that doesn't matter and running with it. That's lazy, and we deserve better. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic