NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Waiting & Master Lists & Tips

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote ChillyToez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Waiting & Master Lists & Tips
    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 9:12am
Heeeellllooooo Writers!

While Short Story-ers are anxiously awaiting results, and Flash Fiction-iers begin praying to the Prompt Gods, I just wanted to say a quick hello!

The lovely Steph9289 and I will be sharing Master List duties for Flash Fiction 2019. (Oh, what have I gotten myself into? Please be kind! LOL )

I saw quite a few people mentioning on other posts this was their first time participating (I expect in a competition of this size, there are always new folks!) So I thought that to pass the time, some of the regulars might like to share their tips or favorite things about the competition? Which genres do you love/hate? What's your process? What are your biggest Dos & Don'ts? Ya know, to hype folks up and/or calm the nerves?  
Jhill View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Jhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 12:11pm
Thanks to you & Steph for taking on list duty. :)

For writers new to the forum, Welcome! I have no legitimate advice, but I hope you have fun.
chrissie0707 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 1:38pm
Thanks!

Familiarize yourself with the genre definition before you start writing. If you have time, read some examples of your assigned genre. Make a schedule for the weekend that's going to work for you. For me, I plot and plan and handwrite rough words and thoughts on Saturday, and then type up what I have and edit edit edit on Sunday.

And, yes, HAVE FUN.
patsy View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote patsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 3:10pm
If you get a genre you are not comfortable with don't panic, you can always genre mix!  The judges seem to be partial to a bit of genre mixing, but keep enough of your assigned genre in there to make the cut.  

Find a Beta Reader or two to exchange with that will help you find typos and plot holes as we can never see our own, especially not in 48 hours!  

If you're new, check out previous years review forms, a lot of folks are kind enough to post their judges reviews and where they placed at the end of their stories.  If their links are still active (some folks take them down if they're shopping the story or have sold it), read a few stories from genres you're nervous about to see how others handled it and what they scored.  

I always try to plan my story and have a first draft by Sunday Morning so I can send the story to Beta Readers, but that's just me.  It saves me undue anxiety Wink 

Just roll with it and have fun!

Edited by patsy - 11 Jul 2019 at 12:20pm
Seacore View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Seacore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 8:25pm
My advice is to focus on the peer review as the true reason to join this competition rather than the judge's feedback or the competition aspect of it.

Judging is always subjective. The very best usually get through and the less stellar usually don't make the cut, but around the edges there are judgement calls and if you are waiting months just to find out whether you got through or not, then you're just setting yourself up for some potentially drawn out disappointment. And there's always a wild card judge in the mix. One who doesn't understand the point of your story, or one that thinks that political satire must be comedic. That's just the nature of the competition process.

If you focus on that you'll be missing the real treasure of this competition and that is the peer review. I have learned so much about my writing from the feedback I've got on the forum. So engage, read and review as many of the other stories as fits into you life (and then one or two more instead of sleeping).
SSC R2 H2 -Jetsam
SSC R1 H128 - Truth and Fire
TammyB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote TammyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 11:17am
Hello all!
As someone who just started the NYC competitions last year, it’s so much fun to try!

Read the genre descriptions. The movie references help define it a lot. 

Don’t get offended if you make comments in the forum others don’t like. It’s normal. I was hammered on the mistaken definition last year on sci fi, because I don’t read it, don’t write it, don’t watch it. So what? I tried.

Definitely find a couple of beta readers for Sunday morning. No more than 3, else you will be getting confused with all the potential suggestions. And you can take them or leave them, depending on what your heart says.

The judging is definitely subjective. I’ve even had the same judge say the opposite comments in two different sentences! But they can help in the second round.
  • Friday midnight I am up to find out my criteria. And think about it for 30 minutes before going to bed. I write down any potentials, if they come to mind.
  • Saturday I do a quick outline of what I want the story to be and write drafts 1 and hopefully 2.
  • Saturday night or Sunday morning I send to beta readers if I have any. 
  • Sunday I rewrite. 
Submit a couple hours early if you can, so there’s no last minute glitches.

My personal takes on the genres?
  • Action/Adventure - love it
  • Comedy - yes!
  • Crime Caper - absolutely
  • Mystery - totally
  • Spy - sure
  • Suspense - sure
  • Thriller - sure
  • Drama - jury is out
  • Fairy Tale - not too fond of
  • Ghost Story - maybe?
  • Historical Fiction - not really, but maybe
  • Fantasy - nope
  • Horror - nope
  • Political Satire - scary
  • Romance - I suck
  • Romantic Comedy - again, I suck
  • Sci-Fi - no way in heck
And if you want, between the 1st and 2nd challenge, you can practice with some of the other combinations that were offered.
Good luck all!

FF19CH1 A Collector’s Obsession
FF18CH1 BURIED IN LOVE
FF18CH2 DOG-GONE MICROCHIP
WRITE ON!
TrishArrowsmith View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TrishArrowsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 12:23pm
Hello! Newbie here.  I just registered for the flash fiction competition two days ago.

Thank you for posting this. I do have a plan in place for how I'm going to structure my weekend. It's going to be tough because I work retail and have a full shift on Saturday.
I'm not worried about being able to complete the challenge and I already have beta readers lined up. Some of the genres are what I'm a bit anxious about. There are a few I've never tried writing and a couple that I am completely clueless about.

I signed up for the experience above anything else and I'm keeping my fingers crossed the peer and judge reviews will be beneficial to my growth as a writer.
salgal80 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote salgal80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 12:51pm
I'm back after a hiatus.

Can someone please remind me of the timing?  11:59 Friday night, right?  EST.
And when is it due?  By 11:59 Sunday night or Monday night?

THanks!
TrishArrowsmith View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote TrishArrowsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 12:55pm
Sunday night (7/14) 11:59pm
MikeBham View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeBham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 4:59pm
This is my second Flash Fiction (and I had a stab at the Short Story as well).

By far and away the best writing experience I've had - and all thanks to these lovely people on the forum.

So, a few suggestions:

1 - ask questions. The forum is full of friendly and helpful types
2 - read the brief carefully
3 - they really mean it about the word count limit
4 - Once the confirmations have been issued (usually about Tues/Wed next week) then SHARE YOUR STORY

Why? Because we all love reading stories, and because the comments, feedback, suggestions and criticism from your fellow writers are far more valuable than the judges' comments that you will eventually receive.

5 - Once you have shared your story, read lots of the other ones, and leave feedback.

Oh yeah - and always always submit and share your entry. Even if you don't like it. Even if you did the whole thing in a terrible rush at the last minute. Even if you think it is terrible. You wrote a story, and it needs to be read. You never know - everyone else might just love it!

Good luck!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>