NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Waiting is HARD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex Grey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 9:10am
I wouldn't hold your breath. They are already over a week late with the Short Screenplay final results! Perhaps that's because it is a final and the judges' energies need to be focussed on Short Story as folks will need to know before Round 2. Nevertheless, I am very disappointed and think they've bitten off more than they can chew. Tsk tsk...…(adopts disappointed teacher/Mum face) !!!

P x
[/QUOTE]

If they were very late and if one got through, what are the chances of a boss noticing that their brand new employee was spending their first week actually writing a short story instead of getting on with their induction training? Asking for a friend....:-D
Alex Grey View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex Grey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 9:15am
While we're waiting, is there a protocol for making sure that everyone on the short story entry forum gets a review?

There are a few late entrants and a few stories that haven't been reviewed - part of me wants to read them and make sure they get some feedback; but part of me is a bit weary as I have read around 60 stories so far (and enjoyed them all to a greater or lesser degree).

I've had some tremendously encouraging comments for my entry and have really benefitted from the forum, I would want others to have the same experience :-)

I should add that I believe that I am up to date with reciprocating reviews from my readers, but if I've missed you please let me know!
crumhorn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crumhorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by Alex Grey Alex Grey wrote:

While we're waiting, is there a protocol for making sure that everyone on the short story entry forum gets a review?

There are a few late entrants and a few stories that haven't been reviewed - part of me wants to read them and make sure they get some feedback; but part of me is a bit weary as I have read around 60 stories so far (and enjoyed them all to a greater or lesser degree).

I've had some tremendously encouraging comments for my entry and have really benefitted from the forum, I would want others to have the same experience :-)

I should add that I believe that I am up to date with reciprocating reviews from my readers, but if I've missed you please let me know!

This is a nice idea.  I'll go sort by the folks who have zero reviews and read a couple.  It would be very satisfying to see that everyone has at least one review.  Nice of you to read 60! You're a champ.
FF22R1: Stories

SS22R3: Mystery
crumhorn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote crumhorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 12:56pm
Hokay, there were 14 stories with no critiques and I've knocked it down to 11. Someone else's turn. :-)
FF22R1: Stories

SS22R3: Mystery
NYCNewbie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYCNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by Alex Grey Alex Grey wrote:

I wouldn't hold your breath. They are already over a week late with the Short Screenplay final results! Perhaps that's because it is a final and the judges' energies need to be focussed on Short Story as folks will need to know before Round 2. Nevertheless, I am very disappointed and think they've bitten off more than they can chew. Tsk tsk...…(adopts disappointed teacher/Mum face) !!!

P x

If they were very late and if one got through, what are the chances of a boss noticing that their brand new employee was spending their first week actually writing a short story instead of getting on with their induction training? Asking for a friend....:-D
[/QUOTE]

.......Just bribe your boss with award winning marmalade???? Well done.....shame you can’t change your name on here to ‘Lady Marmalade’......Just realised that they’re not quite a week late with Short Screenplay - I thought the result were due Tuesday.....anyway, I don’t actually think they’ll be too late for R1 Short Story as R2 is scheduled for 4th April.....5th for us in the UK.....Unless they put back R2. Who knows?
I hear you though. Writing around work is so hard!
All the best!

Paula x
RiskWonder View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RiskWonder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2019 at 12:17pm
Alex,
Congrats on your Marmalade awards!!
As for your thoughts on horror - yes, I totally share them. I don’t read horror, I don’t watch horror, I don’t write horror. So, imagine my *horror* when that was my assignment this time! A family member read it and said they couldn’t imagine that I had written it. Haha! I then found myself reading through other horrors and found that none of them really ended up bothering me. Not that I’m planning to go out and buy a horror book, or watch a movie, but I was able to read others in my category and it was okay.
Good luck with the results!
2019 Round 1 Heat 147 Horror / A one-way ticket / A mayor
Alex Grey View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex Grey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 6:57am
Originally posted by RiskWonder RiskWonder wrote:

Alex,
Congrats on your Marmalade awards!!
As for your thoughts on horror - yes, I totally share them. I don’t read horror, I don’t watch horror, I don’t write horror. So, imagine my *horror* when that was my assignment this time! A family member read it and said they couldn’t imagine that I had written it. Haha! I then found myself reading through other horrors and found that none of them really ended up bothering me. Not that I’m planning to go out and buy a horror book, or watch a movie, but I was able to read others in my category and it was okay.
Good luck with the results!

Ooh, if I'd drawn horror in the first round I'm not sure I'd have even entered! I've been pepped up by the encouraging words I've had here and I have been writing mini-horror stories in my head - I really don't like them, but I've surprised myself by finding them there! Of course, having faced up to this, if I get through (and it's a big IF), I'll probaby be assigned romance or comedy or, eeek, romantic comedy and have no clue!
Seacore View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Seacore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 11:52pm
Assuming I've got the time zones right, there's about 24 hours before the results are due. I'm going to try and pass that time by reviewing as many as I can. That way, if it's late, I can fit in more.
SSC R2 H2 -Jetsam
SSC R1 H128 - Truth and Fire
northernwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northernwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 12:42am
You are awesome and very thoughtful, especially since participation has dropped off and since you are making an effort to review stories that don’t have as many reviews. I noticed that. I wish you the best of luck in this competition! 

Originally posted by Seacore Seacore wrote:

Assuming I've got the time zones right, there's about 24 hours before the results are due. I'm going to try and pass that time by reviewing as many as I can. That way, if it's late, I can fit in more.
Microfiction 2021: 4th place overall
Flash Fiction 2020: 8th place overall
Paula-Jane View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paula-Jane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 9:22am
Oh I hear you! 
I am obsessively checking my inbox, and worse even, I am unable to figure out what the corresponding time zone for me is, so I have no idea when to expect anything. I keep imagining that I've been dropped off the list or something... yay!  
FF 19: R1 - 37
The first time
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>