NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Waiting for MF100 final results

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote just_a_pause Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Waiting for MF100 final results
    Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 8:12am
Who else is sat twiddling thumbs waiting for results from MF100? I know they've got up till midnight tonight (which will be while I'm asleep as I'm GMT) but I still find myself checking emails loads just in case! Never made it to a final before!
slinkylink View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slinkylink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 8:31am
Surprisingly, I'm not that anxious. I love my story, but with more than 200 excellent writers competing in the final round, it's hard for me to imagine placing.  

Edited by slinkylink - 21 Sep 2022 at 9:30am
CHartman View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 11:16am
I'm excited for the results today (hopefully).  It seems so long ago that the competition started!
riquigley View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riquigley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 11:43am
Yeah, I've been refreshing my inbox every 15 minutes are so. I would consider it a win if I just get an honorable mention. Generally the stories I submit that I think are just okay end up advancing and the stories I'm especially happy with don't even place. Unfortunately this round I was pleased with my submission so I'm not expecting much from it. Tongue

Edited by riquigley - 21 Sep 2022 at 11:43am
100 Word Final G85:We Are Lifted
Lexiconundrum View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lexiconundrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 11:46am
I have to agree with slinky - having 216 finalists kind of takes the pressure off. And 100 words is SUCh a tiny space...it feels like you get one shot and you either wow the judges or you don't. As opposed to Short Story, where maybe your plot can need work but you make up for it with a great character or some amazing imagery. All this is to say that this is the comp where I feel most strongly that just writing the story is a win and very satisfying in and of itself.
(Although, universe? It would sure feel nice to place :) )
agilbert View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agilbert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 12:31pm
One more day to dream before the hard crash of reality LOL
It's hard to picture placing with so many wonderful writers, but it's fun to imagine, isn't it????
Good luck to all!
FireHorse View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 1:20pm
What is there to worry about? The other 215 of you don't stand a chance! LOL

But seriously, I wrote horror. That's not going to cut it in a final. I know it's officially an 'open' genre, but from what I've seen in the past they want stories with some depth and meaning. Yes you can get away with fantasy or sci-fi or comedy, but it needs to have that something to it. Horror or rom-com or romance - you don't see those ranking in finals.

So there's not much for me to stress about. And the most ironic thing of all is I've never written horror in my life before. But that was the story I had on the day.
CHartman View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by FireHorse FireHorse wrote:

What is there to worry about? The other 215 of you don't stand a chance! LOL

But seriously, I wrote horror. That's not going to cut it in a final. I know it's officially an 'open' genre, but from what I've seen in the past they want stories with some depth and meaning. Yes you can get away with fantasy or sci-fi or comedy, but it needs to have that something to it. Horror or rom-com or romance - you don't see those ranking in finals.

So there's not much for me to stress about. And the most ironic thing of all is I've never written horror in my life before. But that was the story I had on the day.

Don't sell yourself short - your final story was one of my favourites of the competition - and I usually shy away from reading horror.
just_a_pause View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote just_a_pause Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by riquigley riquigley wrote:

Yeah, I've been refreshing my inbox every 15 minutes are so. I would consider it a win if I just get an honorable mention. Generally the stories I submit that I think are just okay end up advancing and the stories I'm especially happy with don't even place. Unfortunately this round I was pleased with my submission so I'm not expecting much from it. Tongue

Glad it's not just me living that refresh lifestyle! 

Ha ha hate it when that happens. I loved my first round and only just got through, didn't like my second and got through higher up. Adore my final one so bound to flop! 
CamsynClair View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamsynClair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 2:09pm
I have very mixed feelings about results today lol. I think there's a chance my story as-is could maybe get an HM, but not quite there to place higher. There's a line I mega-debated tweaking and ultimately left (as my personal rule is no tweaks an hour before the deadline because my brain tends to go wacky places under extreme time pressure), but this is definitely one of those times that I think the tweak would have greatly improved the piece. If only we had 48 hours instead of 24 LOL But it may still be my best NYCM entry yet, so I'm happy with that!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic