NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Virtual Bar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlewi08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 5:58pm
First draft finished, is that too soon to open the bar?
claviercat View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claviercat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by Steven Kay Steven Kay wrote:

Originally posted by crez crez wrote:

Just submitted a story that came in at 1999 words. I guess that means now I get to party like it's 1999! LOL

Thank you, I'll show myself out...

Ha ha my exact word count also! It's almost like we're terrified to submit 2,000 words, as though the judges' spellchecker might work slightly differently...

LOL - I definitely agree! Mine came in at 1998 words. Every time I've done one of these, I've ended up cutting two or three extra words just to make absolutely sure that I'm under 2000!

Cheers - enjoy your drinks!
Please read my Short Story 2021 Challenge #2 story: https://forums.nycmidnight.com/topic40583_post419488.html#419488
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 6:32pm

Submitted at 1971 words. 

I had an idea for a fun character on Friday, but no matter what I did I could not figure out how to shoehorn in the subject.

Early Saturday morning, I got an idea I really liked and started writing, until I realized I had neglected to include the assigned character. I closed my laptop in disgust.

Enter the procrastination as I frittered most of Saturday away. But after dinner, I promised myself I'd make a draft come what may.

After reminding myself that prompts were not optional, I redesigned idea 2, and banged out about 1k words Saturday evening. But then the interwebs distracted me, and I had a couple of adult beverages, and said, screw it, there's always Sunday.

But then today - there was grocery shopping and a hike to go on and other Very Important Things. (Dear Judge 1610: please notice the archetypical capitalization.)

Eventually, I forced myself to just sit down and finished the thing by later afternoon. Lobbed it at Team Beta. Did a little bit of revising, and sent that puppy in. Story #2 on a batch of 3 overlapping contests. One more to go.

After 10 ghost stories for NYCm, I really struggled on how to write something fresh. At this moment in time, I really like what I submitted--it's based on a legend that really intrigues me. Scheduled self loathing will commence tomorrow.

However, I'm on staycation this coming week, so I'm having a glass of Glenfiddich (neat) because I have big plans to do a whole lot of nothing tomorrow! 

Congrats to everyone for doing the thing! 
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 7:11pm
Had a great idea on Friday that has carried though to today.  Tomorrow I would completely hate it if I gave any more thought to the whole thing, which I won't.

Solid on character, maybe shaky on subject.  If the judges don't like it, their problem.

Speaking of judges, the 13 word rebuke survived.  So did 'protein folding', so that bit of research wasn't wasted after all.

'Warmonger' took me down a path I normally don't tread, and the whole thing is uncomfortable enough to understand why I tend not to hike that path any more than necessary.  Still; round 2.  There has never been a round 3, so no expectations and no stress whatsoever.  I've submitted version 3 with a light heart and no concerns.

If I see something I don't like, or missed something obvious, there might be a version 4, but I doubt it.

Congrats to everyone!  This was a non-trivial project, and you all aced it by any rational measure.  Be proud of yourselves!
This sig intentionally blank
swilki View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swilki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 7:28pm
Finally finished and submitted. 
It is midnight here, I have work tomorrow, but I need whiskey tonight. Life is hard.
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 7:30pm
I submitted.

I don't even know what the hell I wrote. 
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 7:32pm
Powered through the Pfizer #2 Fatigue and Headache and managed a rom com that may be more rom than com, and a little bit of something else (I have no idea what) mixed in. 

But. I made it.

Gatorade now to keep hydrated after the shot.

And for those who haven't gotten it yet, I strongly advise against any alcohol in at least the 24 hours leading up (two glasses of wine the night before Shot #1 gave me a scary buzz just after I got jabbed the next morning), and then guzzle as much gatorade as possible.

This has been a public service announcement.
lisafoxiswriting.com
@iamlisafox10800
Gert Of The Well View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gert Of The Well Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 8:04pm
Submitted!

I'm new to NYCm competitions, having just done two rounds of the 250 and the Screenplay challenge, but this round was by some considerable distance the hardest challenge so far...

Wrote myself into a real corner with my prompts (thriller, charity, a diplomat) and only got out of it by completely reinventing my character this afternoon and then doing a deep edit which basically consisted of deleting every third word... still, lean is good, right? I think perhaps thriller is not my genre...

Good luck everyone!
Draiglas View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Draiglas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 8:28pm
Submitted, about 2 hours later than I intended. I got my story idea early on and while I had the main plot down fairly quickly, as always, it's pulling it together that's the problem. Not sure whether I quite pulled it off in the end but we'll see. Action is not my thing...

I also couldn't quite bring myself to mess with 1610 and deliberately de-grammar my synopsis and put it in a random location on the page. Next time.

Water and bed for me. I have work in 8 hours.

Edited by Draiglas - 11 Apr 2021 at 8:32pm
Reasonably_Crazy View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reasonably_Crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 8:46pm
I've submitted, though I have three hours to fiddle with things.  Right now I'm sipping on a seltzer water since I still have some grading to do, but that may only encourage me to transition to wine...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic