NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Virtual Bar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steven Kay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Virtual Bar
    Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 1:11pm
Story submitted for SSC2021 Round 2! Aaaaand breathe...

A slight disclaimer: the deadline falls on Monday at 5am in the UK, hence me submitting tonight (it's currently 6pm).

So it's beer time for me. What are you drinking? Smile

Edited by Steven Kay - 11 Apr 2021 at 1:11pm
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 1:54pm
Hot mint tea.  With a toasted cheese sandwich.

I'm at 2000 words.  Still need the title and lOg lINe, both of which are typed out on the scratch pad.  Need a couple more passes to clean up the strings and crumbs, but I'll probably submit what I have so there's SOMETHING on record, then re-submit later.
This sig intentionally blank
Steven Kay View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steven Kay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

I'm at 2000 words.  Still need the title and lOg lINe, both of which are typed out on the scratch pad.  Need a couple more passes to clean up the strings and crumbs, but I'll probably submit what I have so there's SOMETHING on record, then re-submit later.

Sounds like a good approach! Then you have a buffer 😊

Controversially I started with the title this time. It just made so much sense...!
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steven Kay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 2:04pm

Also I have clearly missed something about the capitalisation in log lines. LOLPresumably a judge criticised someone's log line?

Edited by Steven Kay - 11 Apr 2021 at 2:05pm
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by Steven Kay Steven Kay wrote:

Also I have clearly missed something about the capitalisation in log lines. LOLPresumably a judge criticised someone's log line?

Judge 1610 is somewhat obsessive about the composition and capitalization of log lines; and apparently less concerned about the composition and capitalization of less important components of the entry, such as the actual story.

I used 13 words in a subtle jab at one of the more common biases shown by the judges.  Since this is round 2 and I have no expectations for round 3 I simply couldn't resist...  Big smile
This sig intentionally blank
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steven Kay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 2:25pm

Originally posted by Steven Kay Steven Kay wrote:

Judge 1610 is somewhat obsessive about the composition and capitalization of log lines; and apparently less concerned about the composition and capitalization of less important components of the entry, such as the actual story.

I used 13 words in a subtle jab at one of the more common biases shown by the judges.  Since this is round 2 and I have no expectations for round 3 I simply couldn't resist...  Big smile

Hahah! Genuinely chuckling away at the clear ongoing drama that this has become!...and also a little worried now as my logline is one big long sentence...
AubreyZahn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AubreyZahn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 2:55pm
Just submitted mine! Been drinking mimosas all morning while attempting to story edit and deep clean the apartment. Cheers all. Beer
FF Challenge #3 - Minotaur
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steven Kay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by AubreyZahn AubreyZahn wrote:

Just submitted mine! Been drinking mimosas all morning while attempting to story edit and deep clean the apartment. Cheers all. Beer

Ha ha nice! Cheers and well done Beer
Spooky View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Spooky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 3:17pm
I've not submitted mine yet, but I've had a sherry.
jhenn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 3:24pm
Not submitted, at 1998 words and it needs another couple reads, but I'm about to pour a glass of Chianti! 

Slainte!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>