NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Victimized by a Nasty Drive-by Review? Take Heart.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Victimized by a Nasty Drive-by Review? Take Heart.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Noel Alcoba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 1:12pm
As I said before, the nature of discourse is that conversation begets conversation.  Conversation is how members within a society attempt to understand each other.  The alternative is for everyone to keep to themselves, which usually breeds suspicion and paranoia.  

As for 'bullsh*t threads like these', sure, it could writers wasting words.  Then again, it could just be practice.

:D

R1 Rhyme G48 Side-Kicked
R1 100 G59 Ripples 11th
JingleBells View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote JingleBells Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 1:27pm
I'm a bit bemused by the concept "wasting words". As far as I'm aware words are able to be used more than once.  There isn't a big bin full of long lamented "wasted words" that have lost their value just because somebody used them in a way you didn't like.  Pick up those ill-used words and put them into a sentence of your own.  Think of it like recycling if it helps. 
Noel Alcoba View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Noel Alcoba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by JingleBells JingleBells wrote:

I'm a bit bemused by the concept "wasting words". As far as I'm aware words are able to be used more than once.  There isn't a big bin full of long lamented "wasted words" that have lost their value just because somebody used them in a way you didn't like.  Pick up those ill-used words and put them into a sentence of your own.  Think of it like recycling if it helps. 

Like I mentioned previously, threads like this can be 'writing practice'.
R1 Rhyme G48 Side-Kicked
R1 100 G59 Ripples 11th
topangarose View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote topangarose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by nixie nixie wrote:

Originally posted by topangarose topangarose wrote:

That's the nature of free speech. Just sayin'.

Actually, the "nature of free speech" is explicitly governmental. :)

Ok Nixie, whatever you say.
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 2:31pm

Actually, it's about what the constitution says.  That the federal government cannot inhibit free expression, except where that expression infringes on the rights/well-being of another. 

The idea that free speech is all about some entitled ego having the "right" to say whatever they want, in any venue they want, is usually either a self-serving mischaracterization or a reflection of ignorance/failure to do basic research, and is most commonly invoked when demanding all of the benefits of the community while rejecting ones responsibilities back to the community.  

And it's obviously not "whatever I say" - because when multiple members of the community worked to phase out a toxic thread in which people were being personally attacked, I said "great - let's close this out and move on to something productive and respectful."  But clearly that's not your interest. So by all means, keep it going, because surely those folks who were targets of individual malice will come round to seeing how "valuable" it is to continue. 

Won't be reading or responding on this thread moving forward, so if anyone has something productive to say to me on the topic, feel free to PM.
RichmondRoad View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote RichmondRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 2:57pm
At the risk of being self-contradictory I will add to this thread myself .... because people may be right about this being ‘practice’. 

My own observation (feedback, if you like) is that there are numerous contributions to this one thread on one forum about a writing competition which are of a higher quality than my actual entry into that competition. That, as I say, seems like a bit of a waste.

Because whilst there is no limit to how many times you can read things, they can only be written once. 

And, once published, they can’t really be ‘unwritten’ either.
topangarose View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote topangarose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 2:58pm

Actually, it's about what the constitution says.  That the federal government cannot inhibit free expression, except where that expression infringes on the rights/well-being of another. 

The idea that free speech is all about some entitled ego having the "right" to say whatever they want, in any venue they want, is usually either a self-serving mischaracterization or a reflection of ignorance/failure to do basic research, and is most commonly invoked when demanding all of the benefits of the community while rejecting ones responsibilities back to the community.  

And it's obviously not "whatever I say" - because when multiple members of the community worked to phase out a toxic thread in which people were being personally attacked, I said "great - let's close this out and move on to something productive and respectful."  But clearly that's not your interest. So by all means, keep it going, because surely those folks who were targets of individual malice will come round to seeing how "valuable" it is to continue. 

Won't be reading or responding on this thread moving forward, so if anyone has something productive to say to me on the topic, feel free to PM.

--and yet you attacked someone for continuing to post under the guise of stopping personal attacks...

Sorry! I didn't get the bulletin.

Obviously I disagree.

I'm not interested in getting involved in PM's on this subject. I'm sure pm's are flying already, and I'd rather read stories.

I just find it troubling when anyone feels free to post multiple posts on a thread and then suddenly decrees everyone else must stop. That's about the extent of it. Readers can take that anyway they wish. No expectation or desire of a response needed.

Edited by topangarose - 10 Feb 2019 at 3:49pm
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JingleBells Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by RichmondRoad RichmondRoad wrote:

At the risk of being self-contradictory I will add to this thread myself .... because people may be right about this being ‘practice’. 

My own observation (feedback, if you like) is that there are numerous contributions to this one thread on one forum about a writing competition which are of a higher quality than my actual entry into that competition. That, as I say, seems like a bit of a waste.

Because whilst there is no limit to how many times you can read things, they can only be written once. 

And, once published, they can’t really be ‘unwritten’ either.
Your words are not wasted on me. I love words.  I hope you have a link to your story (on my phone right now), because I want to read more of yours,  and perhaps give you my thoughts?

OnyxLily View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote OnyxLily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 3:52pm

Keeping the “big bin of wasted words” for future writing idea. 
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JingleBells Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by OnyxLily OnyxLily wrote:

Keeping the “big bin of wasted words” for future writing idea. 

I have a thought festering in my brain right now. Race you .....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718>