NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Victimized by a Nasty Drive-by Review? Take Heart.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Victimized by a Nasty Drive-by Review? Take Heart.

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 18>
Author
Message
Zelda View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt
Avatar

Joined: 24 Jan 2017
Status: Offline
Points: 2782
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zelda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

Originally posted by Zelda Zelda wrote:

If anyone has a problem with anything I've said in a review, then let me know! Don't be all passive-aggressive and start threads about it. I'm easy to reach, and you know where to find me! Geez. 


Calling me a festering malignant gobutit on a fornicating old sow might have been a little much, but honestly I had to agree with the really harsh comments.

Big smile


Holy crap. Are you mad at me? This is news. 
Back to Top
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt
Avatar

Joined: 17 Nov 2017
Location: C. of Letters
Status: Offline
Points: 3983
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by Zelda Zelda wrote:

Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

Originally posted by Zelda Zelda wrote:

If anyone has a problem with anything I've said in a review, then let me know! Don't be all passive-aggressive and start threads about it. I'm easy to reach, and you know where to find me! Geez. 


Calling me a festering malignant gobutit on a fornicating old sow might have been a little much, but honestly I had to agree with the really harsh comments.

Big smile


Holy crap. Are you mad at me? This is news. 


Oh, goodness.  Seriously?  I mean, seriously?

Nothing on this board does more than amuse me.  That's why I come here.  This is recreation.  The big emoticon was there for a reason.
This Sig Intentionally Blank
Back to Top
SEHBicycle View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict
Avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2015
Location: Westerville, OH
Status: Offline
Points: 788
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote SEHBicycle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by LaurieH LaurieH wrote:

<snip>Isn't it better to know that what you have written needs work, even if the wording of the critique is not gentle?  I'd much rather get this type of review than the rejection letters from magazines saying, "Sorry, but your story isn't what we're looking for."  Because what does that tell me? Diddly squat. But if Nasty Reviewer, Esq. says, "Sorry, your story doesn't work for me because this, this, and this didn't make sense to me," well, that's actually helpful. Much better than the overly gushing "OMG ur story is so gud!!11!!!"


Thanks for your thoughts, LaurieH. In reality, I'm not the victim on this one. A friend was. When I looked into the posts this person puts out, it's clear this is a reviewer with a chip on the shoulder. I can't imagine how I would have reacted in my first contest here if I got some of the "crits" this person is putting out.

I get, exactly what you're saying, that they took time to read. When I IMd this person, I heard that person's views--points I paraphrased above. I can't know what's going on in their life; but I will call out bullying behavior when I perceive it.

Thanks, again, for making your points, all valid.
Back to Top
Zelda View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt
Avatar

Joined: 24 Jan 2017
Status: Offline
Points: 2782
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zelda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by Random Random wrote:


Oh, goodness.  Seriously?  I mean, seriously?

Nothing on this board does more than amuse me.  That's why I come here.  This is recreation.  The big emoticon was there for a reason.

Sorry!! Panic/paranoia attack!! Just trying to regulate my breathing a bit!! Please don't be offended! 
Back to Top
SEHBicycle View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict
Avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2015
Location: Westerville, OH
Status: Offline
Points: 788
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote SEHBicycle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by Zelda Zelda wrote:

If anyone has a problem with anything I've said in a review, then let me know! Don't be all passive-aggressive and start threads about it. I'm easy to reach, and you know where to find me! Geez. 


I don't believe you've reviewed me, and if you have, thanks in advance, and I'll see it whenever I look at my post next. I chose not to name the writer whose pattern I saw in reviewing others. I IM'd that writer, and I felt like I was on the end of a massive 'writer-splaining' bad behavior away.

I want this as a post for those who HAVE received drive-by reviews to take some hope away from their experience, rather than pain.

Thanks for popping by.
Back to Top
chrissie0707 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt
Avatar

Joined: 07 Feb 2018
Location: Indianapolis
Status: Offline
Points: 3163
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 9:05pm
I truly, really, and genuinely appreciate the positive vibe here in the forum, and the intention of these last few threads. But it is already causing in others what similar caused in myself last SSC.

There are a lot of forumites out there who are trying to giving positive, helpful, constructive feedback. And sometimes, when they see these threads, it sparks some anxiety that the thread was written about them. It happened to me last year, so I know it's a very real thing. I actually stumbled upon a thread about negative feedback in which I was singled out in comments as people tried to deduce who was responsible for the OP's concerns. (I wasn't, but still.)

In short - it sucked.

So while I COMPLETELY understand the intention, there ARE unwanted side effects of these types of discussions, where those super small few who are the issue aren't willing to read and get this message anyway, and some of those who are out there trying to help their fellow writers might end up feeling discouraged from doing so.

Just some food for thought, in these general discussions.
Micro#1 - One More Day 6th
Micro#2 - Scavengers
Back to Top
Zelda View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt
Avatar

Joined: 24 Jan 2017
Status: Offline
Points: 2782
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zelda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by chrissie0707 chrissie0707 wrote:

I truly, really, and genuinely appreciate the positive vibe here in the forum, and the intention of these last few threads. But it is already causing in others what similar caused in myself last SSC.

There are a lot of forumites out there who are trying to giving positive, helpful, constructive feedback. And sometimes, when they see these threads, it sparks some anxiety that the thread was written about them. It happened to me last year, so I know it's a very real thing. I actually stumbled upon a thread about negative feedback in which I was singled out in comments as people tried to deduce who was responsible for the OP's concerns. (I wasn't, but still.)

In short - it sucked.

So while I COMPLETELY understand the intention, there ARE unwanted side effects of these types of discussions, where those super small few who are the issue aren't willing to read and get this message anyway, and some of those who are out there trying to help their fellow writers might end up feeling discouraged from doing so.

Just some food for thought, in these general discussions.

God bless you!! Clap
Back to Top
SEHBicycle View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict
Avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2015
Location: Westerville, OH
Status: Offline
Points: 788
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SEHBicycle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by chrissie0707 chrissie0707 wrote:

<snip>
So while I COMPLETELY understand the intention, there ARE unwanted side effects of these types of discussions, where those super small few who are the issue aren't willing to read and get this message anyway, and some of those who are out there trying to help their fellow writers might end up feeling discouraged from doing so.<Snip>


Thanks for that thought. I'll see if I can find a place to slip in near the top that I IMd a person whose pattern I saw in reviewing others. I've tested plenty years. Our rule was "2 is a coincidence, 3 is a pattern." Six, to me, cemented, a pattern.

Thanks for giving me this perspective to undestand the complexity of trying to be supportive, and then having a gut-check side effect for other critiquers.
Back to Top
Lisa_Who View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict
Avatar

Joined: 23 Jan 2019
Location: Washington DC
Status: Offline
Points: 570
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lisa_Who Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by Zelda Zelda wrote:

If anyone has a problem with anything I've said in a review, then let me know! Don't be all passive-aggressive and start threads about it. I'm easy to reach, and you know where to find me! Geez. 

HA, I just finished my Review These Now If I Haven't Already! spreadsheet and I know your name showed up on it as one of my reviewers...let's see what hellspawnish comment you threw at me...

You need to tighten up your writing a little.

HOW COULD YOU SAY SUCH A THING TO MEEE.  

(Well, you and at least 5 other reviewers.  But that's irrelevant!)

Big smile

I'm sorry.  I love semicolons.  I love my ability to pile 100+ words into a single, yet STILL GRAMMATICALLY 100% CORRECT sentence.  Because I think if I let two related thoughts be forever separated by a period, they'll both wither and die and I'll be left heartbroken? 

Seriously, this is like, the third post or something about harsh reviewers...I am sort of surprised I haven't encountered any yet.  My story (as exampled above) did have some nice, glaring flaws that anyone could've used to mercilessly shred it if they'd really wanted to. 



Back to Top
Zelda View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt
Avatar

Joined: 24 Jan 2017
Status: Offline
Points: 2782
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zelda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 9:22pm
Thank you, Lisa_Who! I have no idea how I could've become so paranoid! (Although I do deal with clinical paranoia, so that could be a clue.) I just never want to hurt anyone's feelings! And on the same side, I never want anyone to hurt mine! It's all a tough balancing act! I flew into a panic and literally quit breathing. I'm sure everything will be fine once oxygen returns to my lungs! 
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 18>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.077 seconds.