NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Victimized by a Nasty Drive-by Review? Take Heart.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Victimized by a Nasty Drive-by Review? Take Heart.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 18>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
topangarose View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote topangarose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 1:51am

Well, I thought you could by deleting the original/Master post, but why would anyone want to censor if people still want to comment? Just wondering. People come to posts at all different times. Really not fair to say the early birds get to talk and later viewers don't.
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 1:44am
Originally posted by topangarose topangarose wrote:

There is no closing of threads unless the owner of the thread removes it. Who said it's closed?

There had been multiple requests to let this one be done - but I am curious about your statement as I am not aware of any way that a thread can be removed other than by a forum admin...?
nickofnight View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote nickofnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 1:43am
Originally posted by <strong>orion323 orion323 wrote:

This is a $55 writing contest.  Not a Pulitzer Prize final round.  Your odds can equally grant you Romance-Dancing-Chocolates as they would Spy-Ass boil lancing-tampon dispenser.

Ease up with the hierarchy and pretension.  Studies are now showing that success in life is more determined by luck than skill.  The best writers I've ever known were homeless and they wrote because it was something they needed to do.  

There's a bit of luck, but a good writer is usually getting through, regardless. To suggest that success, especially in writing, is based off luck is so dismissive of all the hard work and dedication that most successful writers put in. I know a bunch of self pubbing writers who release books every month or every other month. There's no luck. They practiced, they researched, and they worked hard.  New writers here that don't do well this year -- work hard on your writing this year and you'll do much better next time. 

Edited by nickofnight - 10 Feb 2019 at 1:46am
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote topangarose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 1:42am
There is no closing of threads unless the owner of the thread removes it. Who said it's closed?

Why would any thread be closed?

I want my $55 bucks worth, Damn it!

Edited by topangarose - 10 Feb 2019 at 1:45am
JingleBells View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote JingleBells Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 1:31am
Originally posted by JingleBells JingleBells wrote:

I know there is a Buddy System in place on this forum, I suggest we all make a greater effort to buddy up with these less confident writers, so they know they have a support group who will step in and support them.  I am happy to  be a buddy to anybody who would like me to be.  If you have received a review that has knocked you on your bum - inbox me.  Ask me for my thoughts.  Ask me to review your story.  I will happily do so and post a review on your thread.  It will be honest, but (I hope) constructive.  Let's buddy up rather than split along the lines that are developing in this thread.

Not sure if you read to the end of my post Nixi - but just in case,  I have quoted the part you may have missed. 

I have interpreted this thread the way I did,  and so have others.  I also never re-opened the thread.  As far as I know,  it wasn't closed.  

I haven't abused anybody, merely put into words my thoughts on the topic, which has been interpreted many different ways throughout the thread.  

I have also suggested ways that I think we could all go about supporting less confident writers better, and I'm more than happy to follow through and buddy with anybody who thinks I can be of help to them. 
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 1:15am
Originally posted by sootfoot5 sootfoot5 wrote:

the forum isn't usually like this BUT it NEEDED to be like this -- this year.  There was something serious happening to too many people, and without people raising cain about it and posting on the offending writer's story site, nothing would have been done.  

Originally posted by sootfoot5 sootfoot5 wrote:

And know this:  all that has been done has been done to protect those who couldn't help themselves.  You and I can, but not all are able at this point in their writing career.  They lack the confidence, and they need our support, however we give it, to let them know that we won't tolerate one person tearing them apart.  

Thanks for posting again Sooty - it reminded me that I wanted to thank you for this.
sootfoot5 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sootfoot5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 1:00am
Originally posted by topangarose topangarose wrote:

so I should just freaking shut up. grin.

Nah, you can chat as much as much as you want. I don’t care. You paid your...You didn’t pay $55 did you?
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topangarose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 12:53am

Ha! Ha!s Soot... I know how to do it... I was just wishing more people would, so we're not stuck having to read everyone's prior, long detailed posts over and over again with every comment made. But then, for reason's stated, didn't even take my own advice, so I should just freaking shut up. grin.
sootfoot5 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sootfoot5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 12:32am
Originally posted by orion323 orion323 wrote:

This is a $55 writing contest.  Not a Pulitzer Prize final round.  

Dear Orion, you're paying too much!  You can get it for $40?  or $45?  I forget but you  can register early and get another $5 off for tweeting about it (unless someone gives you the code! Wink )

But you're right about two things -- yes, thank GOD Mattrick is gone and no, this is NOT a Pulitzer Prize final round.  LOL

Love what you said -- and wanted to show Topangarose that yes, you can delete what's in a quote so long as you leave the QUOTE and brackets at the beginning and the end.  

The more you know!  (insert rainbow HERE) 
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 12:29am
Originally posted by JingleBells JingleBells wrote:

The title of this thread completely mischaracterises (Aust. again) the nature and intention of this forum.  It is about the writing.

No, in fact, it does not.  The OP and subsequents have been repeatedly clear that this isn't about the average negative review.  it was prompted by a specific behavior that was demonstrably causing harm.   The post was made in order to mitigate the harm where it might be occurring less visibly.

I'm not sure what is gained by re-opening the thread just to complain about something that has nothing to do with the purpose of the thread - but the mischaracterization here is in misapplying the OPs description to something that is unrelated to the OP.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 18>
  Share Topic