NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Victimized by a Nasty Drive-by Review? Take Heart.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Victimized by a Nasty Drive-by Review? Take Heart.

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 18>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
sslubliner View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 01 Feb 2019
Location: Petaluma, CA
Status: Offline
Points: 51
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote sslubliner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 10:02pm
The nature of the competition makes me hesitant to write detailed critiques. Given the requirements and the time constraints, we all basically got dressed in a hurry in the dark and put our makeup on in the car (or whatever the male equivalent of that is). So when we post our stories and say, "How do I look," unless somebody's creative fly is open, it's hard not to just smile and say "Fine, you might just want to fix your tie, though" (or whatever the female equivalent of that is).

Steven Lubliner

2019 Short Story Challenge, Group 141 (Comedy/A Secret Weapon/A School Principal): Read my 1st Round story titled Truth Will Out
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
topangarose View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt
Avatar

Joined: 21 Jan 2008
Location: California
Status: Offline
Points: 4535
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote topangarose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by orion323 orion323 wrote:

Again risking the inevitable loss of NYC Newbie one star status, and for what it's worth (knowing guiltily I am once again resuscitating this thread that clearly has a DNR) technically free speech is a concept that originated in ancient Greece that was called parrhesia.  It translates loosely as "to say everything" or rather to express whatever is on one's mind truthfully.
The US appropriated it (like a lot of things) and ironically named the government as the final arbiter of when/how to get involved in the notion of free speech.
So basically as originally intended, I think you are spot on.
Forgive the nerdy diatribe.  My dusty, moth-eaten Philosophy degrees are virtually useless until/unless occasions such as these arise.


Interesting Orion323, and a bit of ancient history I didn't know about.

I would also offer that there might be a third form of 'free speech' after one has shaken off the authoritarian constructs of language and law, and that is the 'spirit of free speech' not written down for quotation anywhere, but a simpler leveler with a nod toward all.
Back to Top
JingleBells View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict
Avatar

Joined: 04 Feb 2018
Location: Adelaide
Status: Offline
Points: 909
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JingleBells Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by orion323 orion323 wrote:

The US appropriated it (like a lot of things) and ironically named the government as the final arbiter of when/how to get involved in the notion of free speech.
Besides ..... I'm Australian so the US Constitution means diddly squat to this entitled ego.
Now, I'm off this very entertaining and enjoyable wordy thread for a while - got a few stories to review.  It's all about the stories.  I thought I might work my way through the writers of the posts on this thread - it's a system. 
Back to Top
orion323 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular
Avatar

Joined: 09 Aug 2017
Status: Offline
Points: 353
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote orion323 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 4:16pm
*waves wand/carved stick*
     obliviate


Edited by orion323 - 11 Feb 2019 at 9:58pm
Back to Top
JingleBells View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict
Avatar

Joined: 04 Feb 2018
Location: Adelaide
Status: Offline
Points: 909
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JingleBells Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by OnyxLily OnyxLily wrote:

Originally posted by JingleBells JingleBells wrote:

I'm a bit bemused by the concept "wasting words". As far as I'm aware words are able to be used more than once.  There isn't a big bin full of long lamented "wasted words" that have lost their value just because somebody used them in a way you didn't like.  Pick up those ill-used words and put them into a sentence of your own.  Think of it like recycling if it helps. 

Keeping the “big bin of wasted words” for future writing idea. 

I have a thought festering in my brain right now. Race you .....
Back to Top
OnyxLily View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict
Avatar

Joined: 20 Jan 2019
Location: New Zealand
Status: Offline
Points: 1145
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote OnyxLily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by JingleBells JingleBells wrote:

I'm a bit bemused by the concept "wasting words". As far as I'm aware words are able to be used more than once.  There isn't a big bin full of long lamented "wasted words" that have lost their value just because somebody used them in a way you didn't like.  Pick up those ill-used words and put them into a sentence of your own.  Think of it like recycling if it helps. 

Keeping the “big bin of wasted words” for future writing idea. 
A Ship in the Woods Micro19 R1
The Scorch FF19 C2
Back to Top
JingleBells View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict
Avatar

Joined: 04 Feb 2018
Location: Adelaide
Status: Offline
Points: 909
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JingleBells Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by RichmondRoad RichmondRoad wrote:

At the risk of being self-contradictory I will add to this thread myself .... because people may be right about this being ‘practice’. 

My own observation (feedback, if you like) is that there are numerous contributions to this one thread on one forum about a writing competition which are of a higher quality than my actual entry into that competition. That, as I say, seems like a bit of a waste.

Because whilst there is no limit to how many times you can read things, they can only be written once. 

And, once published, they can’t really be ‘unwritten’ either.
Your words are not wasted on me. I love words.  I hope you have a link to your story (on my phone right now), because I want to read more of yours,  and perhaps give you my thoughts?

Back to Top
topangarose View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt
Avatar

Joined: 21 Jan 2008
Location: California
Status: Offline
Points: 4535
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote topangarose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by nixie nixie wrote:

Originally posted by topangarose topangarose wrote:

Originally posted by nixie nixie wrote:

Originally posted by topangarose topangarose wrote:

That's the nature of free speech. Just sayin'.

Actually, the "nature of free speech" is explicitly governmental. :)


Ok Nixie, whatever you say.

Actually, it's about what the constitution says.  That the federal government cannot inhibit free expression, except where that expression infringes on the rights/well-being of another. 

The idea that free speech is all about some entitled ego having the "right" to say whatever they want, in any venue they want, is usually either a self-serving mischaracterization or a reflection of ignorance/failure to do basic research, and is most commonly invoked when demanding all of the benefits of the community while rejecting ones responsibilities back to the community.  

And it's obviously not "whatever I say" - because when multiple members of the community worked to phase out a toxic thread in which people were being personally attacked, I said "great - let's close this out and move on to something productive and respectful."  But clearly that's not your interest. So by all means, keep it going, because surely those folks who were targets of individual malice will come round to seeing how "valuable" it is to continue. 

Won't be reading or responding on this thread moving forward, so if anyone has something productive to say to me on the topic, feel free to PM.


--and yet you attacked someone for continuing to post under the guise of stopping personal attacks...

Sorry! I didn't get the bulletin.

Obviously I disagree.

I'm not interested in getting involved in PM's on this subject. I'm sure pm's are flying already, and I'd rather read stories.

I just find it troubling when anyone feels free to post multiple posts on a thread and then suddenly decrees everyone else must stop. That's about the extent of it. Readers can take that anyway they wish. No expectation or desire of a response needed.




Edited by topangarose - 10 Feb 2019 at 3:49pm
Back to Top
RichmondRoad View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular
Avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2018
Location: Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 257
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote RichmondRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 2:57pm
At the risk of being self-contradictory I will add to this thread myself .... because people may be right about this being ‘practice’. 

My own observation (feedback, if you like) is that there are numerous contributions to this one thread on one forum about a writing competition which are of a higher quality than my actual entry into that competition. That, as I say, seems like a bit of a waste.

Because whilst there is no limit to how many times you can read things, they can only be written once. 

And, once published, they can’t really be ‘unwritten’ either.
Back to Top
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt
Avatar

Joined: 01 Aug 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Status: Offline
Points: 8480
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by topangarose topangarose wrote:

Originally posted by nixie nixie wrote:

Originally posted by topangarose topangarose wrote:

That's the nature of free speech. Just sayin'.

Actually, the "nature of free speech" is explicitly governmental. :)


Ok Nixie, whatever you say.

Actually, it's about what the constitution says.  That the federal government cannot inhibit free expression, except where that expression infringes on the rights/well-being of another. 

The idea that free speech is all about some entitled ego having the "right" to say whatever they want, in any venue they want, is usually either a self-serving mischaracterization or a reflection of ignorance/failure to do basic research, and is most commonly invoked when demanding all of the benefits of the community while rejecting ones responsibilities back to the community.  

And it's obviously not "whatever I say" - because when multiple members of the community worked to phase out a toxic thread in which people were being personally attacked, I said "great - let's close this out and move on to something productive and respectful."  But clearly that's not your interest. So by all means, keep it going, because surely those folks who were targets of individual malice will come round to seeing how "valuable" it is to continue. 

Won't be reading or responding on this thread moving forward, so if anyone has something productive to say to me on the topic, feel free to PM.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 18>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.125 seconds.